Amazingly overclockable i7/ATI gaming rig build 'on paper'

tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Amazingly overclockable i7/ATI gaming rig build 'on paper'

Post by tomgiboney »

I got motivated and spent about 2 hours putting together (on paper) a new PC design.
It would be an amazing thing to behold and would be one monster of an S3D gaming rig. It could certainly be scaled down here and there, but I wanted a machine that would last for a while as is and still be highly upgradeable a couple years from now. I'm 99.9% positive everything will be compatible with zero bottlenecking. And if I had the money I'd build it myself right now!

Perhaps I went overboard (although I could have went even more so)... I sometimes do on paper, but if you have the dough (and the grand total doesn't seem that much to you for a machine that would cost well over $3500 pre-built by alienware or whomever), and want the best of the best within the confines of (semi-)reason, then this builds for you! You should also note that these prices are current and 3 to 6 months from now the grand total could be $800 or more cheaper.

CPU
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MB
ASRock X58 Extreme 3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
189.99 + 7.87 shipping

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 x 189.99

GPU
HIS H587F2G6DG Radeon HD 5870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
499.99 + 7.87 shipping

HDD
[OS System Drive]
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
100 ($20 off with newegg promo code currently)
+
[RAID 0 Storage Drive for Games & Videos]
HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822145276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 x 149.99

ODD
Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer Model BDR-205BKS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827129051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
184.99 + 1.99 shipping

PS
KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC W/ 3-Way LED Switch and Universal Modular Connector Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817121068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CASE?
XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811103011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
84.99 + 9.99 shipping
-----------
Grand Total
$2207.62 (whoa)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Amazingly overclockable i7/ATI gaming rig build 'on pape

Post by cybereality »

Cool. I am looking at getting a new machine soon as well. The one I put together was around $1600 w/ a GTX 480 but I saved using a i5 and just a BD reader. Although I am not really sure I need a new computer. I might just try to save the money.
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

cybereality wrote:Cool. I am looking at getting a new machine soon as well. The one I put together was around $1600 w/ a GTX 480 but I saved using a i5 and just a BD reader. Although I am not really sure I need a new computer. I might just try to save the money.
I think this build would be more appealing to those that aren't already in the i series intel processors. Especially to those still using a Pentium 4 or Celeron dual core. And it's even appealing to me and my system is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (oc'd to 2.9ghz)
Asus Maximus Formula motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb (ugh, this card is getting old... and 512 is becoming almost useless)
4gb DDR2 Crucial something, but it has a 3 fan top mount fan
about 1.5 TB total HDD

But, since I already have a quad core and a decent gpu... I'd probably be better off just upgrading the graphics card when the 5870 prices drop some.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, my system is around the same level.

Intel C2D 3.0Ghz
EVGA nForce 780i MoBo (piece of trash)
Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB
4GB OCZ DDR2
1.2 TB HDD

I think I am just going to go with a GTX 480 and see if I can breath some more life into this baby.
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, my system is around the same level.

Intel C2D 3.0Ghz
EVGA nForce 780i MoBo (piece of trash)
Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB
4GB OCZ DDR2
1.2 TB HDD

I think I am just going to go with a GTX 480 and see if I can breath some more life into this baby.
If you want to waste your hard-earned dough, go for it... I personally think the ATI 5870 would be the better choice. Or even the 5970 (single card dual GPU crossfire solution) if you have the extra $$. The GTX 480 is much more power hungry and hot than the 5870 and yet still just about par performance wise with it.

PS: Not an ATI FANBOY, just a well researched consumer always looking for best bang for the buck!
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Cyber is propably in the same situation as me:

when he changes to ATI he loses one driver, the Nvidia driver.
And currently this driver has the widest support from the game makers...

For myself I will not upgrade until the next or maybe the next 2 generations. my C2D e8400 runs pretty well with 4ghz and my gtx 280 also performs well ;)

I hope my system will last until the 11nm procesors are released (currently 32nm, next are 22 followed by 16 and then 11, aprox 6 years to go) ;)

@setup: I would choose a SSD for system drive, gives a good extra speed (160Gb are more than enougth for Windows and Disk intensive Programms)

and for the raid 0 go with 2x 1TB Caviar black, you'll need the faster respond time for the smal files like in games etc...

Why have you chosen the eyefinity edition of the hd 5870? you work with more than 2 Monitors?

I also would recommend an Scyte Mugen 2 as cpu cooler (chills my c2d at 4ghz).

The power supply is a bit oversized for an single gpu system, if you want to save money you can go down to 800W. (should still be enougth)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I am sticking with Nvidia because of their 3D driver. To me ATI is not even a consideration. And I don't mind blowing my money, what good is it if you don't spend it? Think I might hold out a little longer as I mostly play older games anyway and my system seems to hold up.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

cybereality wrote:I don't mind blowing my money, what good is it if you don't spend it?

I frame that sentence, so much truth ;)

Personaly I would wait for the next revision of the fermi chip (GF100b or something) and hope for a reduced TDP and general improvements. I think the Fermi chip has potential but it currently isn't fully used... Mybe when they get better results in production. currently the're facing problems with production failures.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well we still have to wait until the Fermis are actually available. As if the cost wasn't high enough you can't even get one if you wanted.
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

cirk2 wrote:@setup: I would choose a SSD for system drive, gives a good extra speed (160Gb are more than enougth for Windows and Disk intensive Programms)

and for the raid 0 go with 2x 1TB Caviar black, you'll need the faster respond time for the smal files like in games etc...

Why have you chosen the eyefinity edition of the hd 5870? you work with more than 2 Monitors?

I also would recommend an Scyte Mugen 2 as cpu cooler (chills my c2d at 4ghz).

The power supply is a bit oversized for an single gpu system, if you want to save money you can go down to 800W. (should still be enougth)
Ahh, wonderful, some more feedback... I never really looked at SSD drives for the sheer simple reason they are too damned expensive at the moment. For a decent priced one you're still shelling out almost twice as much for a regular drive and getting about the same performance. IMO, SSD's aren't sensible (at least not to the middle class) yet.

Good recommendation on the 1TB Cavier Black!

Only reason I chose the eyefinity edition of the 5870 is because it comes standard with 2GB onboard. I'd rather have 2GB and the ability to hook up six monitors (although I probably never will) than just 1GB and a standard set of monitors.

I left off CPU coolers since there are so many and I honestly don't know what the best one is. But thanks for a great suggestion.

Reason for the larger power supply... I'd rather have more power than less power. It helps keep everything as perfectly stable as possible and is already in place for when you wish to drop a 2nd GPU in. All about upgradability on this choice. I'm still working well on the system I built in Oct. 08 and am just now thinking I need more GPU horsepower, and the PS I have now can handle another 4870 easy.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

I never really looked at SSD drives for the sheer simple reason they are too damned expensive at the moment. For a decent priced one you're still shelling out almost twice as much for a regular drive and getting about the same performance. IMO, SSD's aren't sensible (at least not to the middle class) yet.
If it only would be twice... 2,30€ - 2,50€ per GB fo a SSD and about 0,11€ per GB for a Caviar black and 0,50- 0,60€ fo a Velocity Raptor (10.000 Turns)...
I'd rather have more power than less power. It helps keep everything as perfectly stable as possible and is already in place for when you wish to drop a 2nd GPU in. All about upgradability on this choice. I'm still working well on the system I built in Oct. 08 and am just now thinking I need more GPU horsepower, and the PS I have now can handle another 4870 easy.
Then you have to have an eye on your mainboard that it is SLI/Crossfire capabel...
I personaly dislike SLI setups.. Twice the Price for 30% improvement in some games and scary micro-lag...
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

cirk2 wrote:
I never really looked at SSD drives for the sheer simple reason they are too damned expensive at the moment. For a decent priced one you're still shelling out almost twice as much for a regular drive and getting about the same performance. IMO, SSD's aren't sensible (at least not to the middle class) yet.
If it only would be twice... 2,30€ - 2,50€ per GB fo a SSD and about 0,11€ per GB for a Caviar black and 0,50- 0,60€ fo a Velocity Raptor (10.000 Turns)...
I'd rather have more power than less power. It helps keep everything as perfectly stable as possible and is already in place for when you wish to drop a 2nd GPU in. All about upgradability on this choice. I'm still working well on the system I built in Oct. 08 and am just now thinking I need more GPU horsepower, and the PS I have now can handle another 4870 easy.
Then you have to have an eye on your mainboard that it is SLI/Crossfire capabel...
I personaly dislike SLI setups.. Twice the Price for 30% improvement in some games and scary micro-lag...

Thanks for the breakdown on the SSD drives compared to regular drives... I admit I didn't do much research on that, I'm just a bit jaded still on SSD.

And actually, I probably won't go the crossfire route, I'd rather just save and get a 5870 2gb :D

Return to “General Hardware & Software Technical Support”