Getting wired 3.5mm jack edims to work with DLP sync port

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Getting wired 3.5mm jack edims to work with DLP sync port

Post by tomgiboney »

Ok, I have 4 pairs of these wired X3D branded edim shutter glasses. My question is, can I buy a 3pin mini din cable, cut off the other end, wire in a female 3.5mm stereo jack/port, plug in the glasses and see 3D?

I've been researching and the best I can tell is I'd need to create some sort of circuit board adapter that adapts the sync signal to that which the glasses recognize. Is this true or would they work with just a pass-through converted cable? If I would need an adapter, can one be bought or how hard would it be to make one?

All ideas on the table please...

How to get wired edims to work with DLP sync port?

Thanks!
mickeyjaw
Cross Eyed!

Re: Getting wired 3.5mm jack edims to work with DLP sync por

Post by mickeyjaw »

AFAIK what you are suggesting will not work. On the wired jack plug glasses the three rings are gnd, left, and right. There are no electronics in the glasses. You need to drive the lcds directly, approx. +/-20V iIRC, but i really would check that and not take my word for it. Do you own one of the vga dongles that go with these glasses? If so, you may be better off trying to hack the dongle to take its sync from your tv instad of the ddc pin on the vga cable.
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

mickeyjaw wrote:AFAIK what you are suggesting will not work. On the wired jack plug glasses the three rings are gnd, left, and right. There are no electronics in the glasses. You need to drive the lcds directly, approx. +/-20V iIRC, but i really would check that and not take my word for it. Do you own one of the vga dongles that go with these glasses? If so, you may be better off trying to hack the dongle to take its sync from your tv instad of the ddc pin on the vga cable.
Thanks mickeyjaw for the reply!

it's funny you mention that cause I too was actually thinking of just adapting the dongle to plug into the vesa 3D port on the back of the tv. I'd have to figure out exactly what pins (on the vga plug) the 3 mini-din pins should be run to... possibly even multiple vga pins to each mini-din pin. I really wish someone extremely technical on all this could chime in... and I believe it's +/- 5 volt, or +/- 12 volt for the glasses, I'll have to test with something... the 3-pin mini-din is gnd, +5v, and the sync signal which is a square wave of +5v or 0v, one is left, the other is right but unsure which. if the glasses are +5v and not +12v then a simple circuit board could be designed (heh, simple to those who have the technical prowess that is... which isn't me)

So, anyone have this missing knowledge I require to get this moving forward? I am great at following directions and could easily go to radio shack and get the parts and create a circuit board, I would just need to know what exact parts to get and a diagram... thanks for any and all help!

BTW, I don't have my Mitsu WD-60C9 yet... it'll be here about a week from today (yay!)
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

On my ELSA VGA to vesa adapter :
+5V => VGA pin 9
GND => VGA pin 10
DDC => VGA pin 12
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

Petrus wrote:On my ELSA VGA to vesa adapter :
+5V => VGA pin 9
GND => VGA pin 10
DDC => VGA pin 12
:shock: You made one? And it works?
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

I don't made it, it's just the adapter suplied with ELSA 3D glasses.
The ouput signal is the same as you described : 0-5V Square wave.
tomgiboney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tomgiboney »

Petrus wrote:I don't made it, it's just the adapter suplied with ELSA 3D glasses.
The ouput signal is the same as you described : 0-5V Square wave.
Oh, I see... I was reading more into it in my haste, I didn't know exactly what you were describing (the vga to vesa adapter part). But now I do. So, is this elsa vga to vesa adapter have a male or female vesa plug? perhaps it could be used to adapt the X3D vga dongle to connect to the vesa 3-pin shutter glass port on the back of the Mitsubishi?
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

The adapter has a female vesa plug.
If the X3D vga dongle uses DDC signal to synchronize the glasses, it will also work with the signal coming from the the TV's vesa port as they are the same.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”