Silverscreen material

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Silverscreen material

Post by jkh0208 »

I found a site that sells silverscreen material for $2.60 per sq ft. http://3dprojectionscreen.com/index.php ... ent=3&pg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has anyone had any experience with this material, and if so, does it ghost less that da-lite silver matte?

Thanks,
Joe
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Silverscreen material

Post by wnielsenbb »

That fabric is half the price of the paint. Very cheap. That site is a bit shakey for my tastes. "Superstore"??? They have five (5) items for sale. :shock:

I got my material, which I haven't used yet, from Harkness. I think it was like 300, but it was cut to the right size and included 3M dual lock for mounting.

Warren.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I wonder how these cheap materials , Peroni etc. stand up against the 2.4gain of Harkness. They have gain like only 1.8?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I also found a place on ebay selling silver projection material and just received a sample from him. I tested it by holding a pair of my Zalman lenses up to the projector lens and looking through another set of glasses. It seems to have a little bit of ghosting, but not sure if linear polarized glasses and a proper filter would make a difference. He's selling 2 yards wide at $50 a yard length. Unfortunately, it's hard to do a proper testing without a sample larger than 4"x6". :/
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

wow, that is a really sad sample. :)
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Yeah, it's pretty small. I was able to tell that the ghosting doesn't seem to be too bad, but I'm not sure how well the image would look on a large 54"x72" screen, which is the size I'm going for.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Ok, I tested some Krylon Aluminum Matte spraypaint on some posterboard, and I've noticed that it has slightly less ghosting than the material I got on ebay, almost nonexistent. On either the material or the paint, I get little to no ghosting with black on white background, and about 25-30% ghosting with white on black background. The only problem with the paint is it's a little too shiny and blotchy because it's hard to get the paint even. If I can't find better material, and if the sample of the Silver Matte from da-lite, which should be coming soon, is any worse, then I'll probably end up just getting the material from ebay.
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

Get a sample from Harkness. If you get just the material is isn't a lot more than that cheap stuff, it comes with a mounting solution (dual lock, tie down rings at least), and from the reviews I have seen it is the best material you can get.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

How about this one, has very good reviews:

http://store.cousinsvideo.com/79952.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Screen surface can be cleaned with mild soap and water
... unlike "H" ..., plus gain is better.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

That is high power screen, not 3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

You sure?* - Tought the function is just gain make up.
...anyway once you use it with shutters like i want ... :mrgreen:

*this Da lite screeny is a silverscreen just like ur paints.
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

http://www.projectorzone.com/Da-Lite-Cu ... y-Material" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

I have a Vutec Silverstar screen, which is even higher gain, and more silvery. :) It doesn't hold polarization. Keeping polarization is a different problem than increasing gain.
If you are using shutterglasses, might as well keep the screen you have. If you don't have a screen get the best one for your room conditions. If you might upgrade to a polarized solution in the future might as well get a 3D screen now though.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

I do have a G=1 screen and h5360 pj. You say shutters wont be any better with more lumens around? Thats a bit far fetched for me.

The Acer H5360 has only 700 in 120hz / 3d mode, thats why I want to compensate, thats too few to start with. After the glasses you are at 350-400 (actual measurements http://www.projektor.hu/3d+vetites+belepo+aron.html)

You are right then, I m buying another 5360 pj and the "H"... Next pj has to wait for some time tho.
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

I didn't come close to saying shutters won't be better with more lumens. I said get a screen that would be good for your room conditions, which would include projector lumens, light control, etc.
350-400 lumens isn't bad at all in a very dark room, though, of course, it wll go down with bulb age. The Harkness has enough gain to bump that up a lot I guess, with 2.4 gain it could be double their testing (I can't read that language so I don't know what gain they tested with) so maybe 700 to 800. With dual projection you will double again, so 1400 - 1600 lumens.

All these numbers of mine are just guesses of course.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I couldn't find prices for Harkness. Does anyone know how much it costs? The da-lite virtual grey is out of my price range, even at the sale price of $12.47 per sq ft. That's $598.56 for the amount I need, and I need to stay under $150-$200.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

jkh0208 wrote:I couldn't find prices for Harkness. Does anyone know how much it costs? The da-lite virtual grey is out of my price range, even at the sale price of $12.47 per sq ft. That's $598.56 for the amount I need, and I need to stay under $150-$200.
They're pretty expensive but i know they makes good screens. I haven't tried them myself though (have silverfabric). However i did find a harkness pricelist Here
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I can't afford that stuff. :(
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

jkh0208 wrote:I can't afford that stuff. :(
guy wrote 300 usd for 120" thats not that bad.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Where did you see 120" for $300? The prices in the Harkness pdf file were looking like $700+ for 92"+ 3d material.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

jkh0208 wrote:Where did you see 120" for $300? The prices in the Harkness pdf file were looking like $700+ for 92"+ 3d material.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 259#p43259
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

$300 usd was for the 120" diag material, with the frame it was 1900. I just called Harkness USA. They were very helpful.
Warren.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Will they sell the material alone without the frame, and how much was shipping?
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

Yeah, i bought just the material, I think it was $60 for shipping so $360 total. It came in an incredibly tough tube.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Thanks! I'll ask them for a sample and if it's much better than the other samples I received, then I might go that route!
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Well still waiting on Harkness samples, but I just received some da-lite samples. The silver matte doesn't seem to ghost as much as people say it does. It actually seems to work pretty well for the cost. The 3d virtual black seems to dim the image a lot compared to the silver matte, even though it supposedly has a 3.0 gain as apposed to the 1.3 gain from the silver matte. Does anyone know why this would be? Also, the 3d virtual grey and virtual black seem to also make the image sparkle or glisten, whereas the silver matte looks fine.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The 3d virtual black is for backprojection only. Sure you're not testing it for frontprojection?
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Oh yeah, you're right, I should have noticed it's slightly translucent! I was using it for front projection! :oops: Sorry, I'm a little ignorant when it comes to this stuff. The silver matte seems to work really well for me and it seems to be the cheapest route, so I think I might get one as a temporary solution until I can afford a nicer screen. Also, I bought the harder filter material from polarization.com but it came curved like it was originally rolled. Is there a safe way to flatten it out? Currently I'm having to keep the filters manually held flat by rigging a metal shelving unit.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I also ordered the thicker polarizer sheets but those was so small they could send it flat in cardboard. Since i have good filters for the beamers i use the polarization.com-filters for testing purposes. I wouldn't recommend heating them since they're made of plastic. They do seem to resist quite some amount of heat though. Maybe if you have a drum with a diametre of 10-15 centimetres and roll them reversed on it using a towel/sheet or similar. Let it be for some minutes/hours until straightened out.
Or simply make a holder that holds them straight.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

is there a way to overcome burning that cheap plastic polarizer ? Heard someone is forced to use ECO mode while driving 'em. Saw the filserfabric guys have their fancy schmancy not so pocket friendly solution , is there somthing like that to find somewhere?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Simply use a bigger area on the filter by keeping it longer from the lenses. My projectors are 2500 lumens but works fine with these filters at a 7 centimetre distance. Keeping filters right at the lenses indeed fried them. This is only a guideline and might of course vary a little.
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I went ahead and ordered the silver matte since it worked well for my tastes and it was really cheap. I never did receive my material I ordered from 3dprojectionscreen.com, I think they jacked me. Oh well, the screen I have on the way is 100" so it should suit me fine for now. I just wish I could find a nicer way to mount the filters and projectors without it looking so jury rigged.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

jkh0208 wrote:I just wish I could find a nicer way to mount the filters and projectors without it looking so jury rigged.
Who cares?! here's mine if it makes you feel better! :D
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... ?pos=-2701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

Nice. :D My filter holder is a small metal shelf with some of the bars cut out, lol. I like your metal projector holder, how did you make it? Currently I have my first projector sitting on my tv stand with a small kitchen riser hovering over it with the second projector on the riser. It's a pain to have to readjust everything when the riser gets bumped. :|
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

I suppose any metal shop could whip you up something like that in a few minutes for probably 50 bucks. Or you could pay $510(on sale) to get one premade. :roll:
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I don't think there are any metal shops around here. :|
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

There probably is. It just isn't the sort of thing you normally go looking for. You could get the metal yourself at any hardware store, cut it up with a hacksaw and maybe screw it into place and take to anywhere with a welder, like any mechanic shop or body shop. Of course for what they want for a pre built one you could buy a mig welder and weld it yourself ;)
jkh0208
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jkh0208 »

I might try that as a last resort.
Is this one any good if I can get it for $100? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... OR:US:1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wnielsenbb
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by wnielsenbb »

That looks like a very good deal.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

jkh0208 wrote:Nice. :D My filter holder is a small metal shelf with some of the bars cut out, lol. I like your metal projector holder, how did you make it? Currently I have my first projector sitting on my tv stand with a small kitchen riser hovering over it with the second projector on the riser. It's a pain to have to readjust everything when the riser gets bumped. :|
As wnielsenbb said i welded it together where i work. Welding isn't difficult if you use not too thin ironmaterials. besides, most probably you know someone who has a little mig and maybe materials too? Hiring a professional toolshop for it would be expensive though.
The wooden frameholders purpose is to save the glassfilters. I'd like it to look a "little" more professional, maybe plastic but since it lived for such a long time it seems like i'm going to keep it... :oops:
Since it's diy, be proud of what you're doing! 8-)

Return to “3D Projectors”