Surreal Clouds, My First S3D Picture Attempt

Find a good S-3D side by side video on YouTube? Share it here!
BlackholeOfSouls
One Eyed Hopeful

Surreal Clouds, My First S3D Picture Attempt

Post by BlackholeOfSouls »

A few days ago I was in a car and noticed the clouds looked really weird, they were surreal. I tried to capture it by taking two photos quickly on my phone.

I would really appreciate your opinions on this first S3D Image I've taken. If I've done anything wrong I would like to know.

I tried to add it to this post but got told that .pns files are not allowed (NEIL!! ADD Stereo Formats as Acceptable Attachments!!!!) So I renamed it to .png, please rename to .pns to view in sView, Nvidia Viewer, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Surreal Clouds, My First S3D Picture Attempt

Post by cybereality »

Not bad but I think the views are reversed. JPS/PNS format is cross-eye meaning right view first.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You could add a descriptor to your image file if it's not in the right-left order most viewer expect by default. See the specifications for the JPS format here : http://www.vrex.com/developer/sterdesc.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I don't think it's a real stereo pair, I looked at it in parallel mode but it had no sense of depth at all. And if you look carefully at the images, you can see a lot of defects :
- similar points are not aligned on the same horizontal line ;
- there is a black triangle in the bottom of the left image that isn't present on the right image ;
- contrast/brightness is very different in each image ;
- it seems you didn't use a stereo camera but took two shots, it's apparent from the form of the clouds which are very different in each shot, they must have moved because of the wind in between.

Trying to create a stereo image with just one camera doesn't make sense if you don't try at least with a still scene with no moving object. And you would need to calibrate your shots, but even then I'm very doubtful you could obtain any good result that way.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Using one 2D camera to take a 3D image is possible, I've done it, but it only really works on static objects or scenes. Very difficult to do if motion is involved.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Dito!^^
Stereophotomaker has a function which is called "autoalign". It even handles and corrects rotational error. The only adjustment that you might have to do after autoalignment is the horisontal which is no biggie.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D

Return to “Favorite Online S-3D Videos”