stereo not working on new CRT monitor

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

stereo not working on new CRT monitor

Post by chilledsanity »

I recently bought a new CRT monitor (Dell P1110 Sony Trinitron) and I can't get it to work in stereoscopic mode (using LCD shutterglasses). I'm pretty sure it's because it has DDC enabled on the monitor, because it's giving the same symptoms that it would on my old monitor when that was enabled. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have an option to turn it off, are there any suggestions about what I can do here?
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

Maybe you could get a vga extension cable and cut one of the wires on it?
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

It comes with one, which pin(s) do I need to remove?
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Maybe uninstalling the monitor driver? (no idea if that would work - just a suggestion).
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi!

try to cut them all one after the other! ... :D

joking!

the pin nr 9 is the ddc +5 pin
and the pin nr 5 is the ddc ground.

removing pin 9 should be enough. do it on the extension wire,not on the monior.. ;)

try to bend the pin some times using some tool, maybe youre able to remove it without cutting the wire...

i expect you to write a tutorial in the DIY section f it works.. :D

;)

bye
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

I really hope you're not doing that on some important cable. I was suggesting that you get a spare cable so you don't have to worry if you wreck it.
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

The monitor only has a VGA connection, so this is on a male to male cable. According to wikipedia, DDC uses 3 pins of a data, clock, and ground. The ground won't matter, but will the clock make a difference? Also posting a DIY "if it works" isn't all that encouraging. Am I seriously the first stereoscopic gamer to try something like this? That seems unlikely.
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

There's some info on DDC here:
http://www.3d.wep.dk/projector.html
Last edited by Freke1 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Hey I found this link, that seems to contradict your diagram:

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_ ... a_vesa_ddc

What's your reasoning for cutting 9?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Try pm Ragedemon about this. I'm almost certain i saw a topic somewhere where he has an explanation on how it works and how to.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
sharky

Post by sharky »

hi all

likay you probably are talking about this.. http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=493

but its not about ddc.. its about dvi

regarding the pin 9:

i got the info here:

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~rvinge/pc/kable ... .SVGA.html

number 9 is NC except if you use DDC..

i think that if you use a peace of monitor extension cable nothing particular can happen. the important thing is that you dont try to cut around on the main monitor cable..
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Yup. that's the one. :oops: hehe

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

Well I messaged Ragedemon, I'll see what he says about this.
i think that if you use a peace of monitor extension cable nothing particular can happen. the important thing is that you dont try to cut around on the main monitor cable..
I keep trying to explain, there is no main monitor cable. It's a male to male connector that runs from the connection on the monitor to the videocard and is detachable. Here is a picture to illustrate the concept. Notice how the VGA connection is directly on the monitor (this is not the same model as my monitor before you start posting how the case is off and there are extra connectors). I don't want to screw this up, because then I'll have to buy a new cable for $20 from Radioshack because I killed the cable. This is why I'm wary about doing this unless someone has done this themselves or understands monitors so thoroughly they can tell me why to remove one pin and not another.

Sharky, thanks for giving me more information, though I want to understand a little better how DDC works and if it can interfere with anything else by taking out the +5. I don't know enough about monitors to know if leaving pins 12 and 15 in will cause other problems when 9 is removed. While it may not apply, one analogy I can think of is removing the power to a PATA hard drive, but leaving the IDE cable plugged in. Not always, but on some setups, that can cause errors and even prevent the system from booting up properly. The reverse however, does not.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Ive got 2 monitor-cables with some Pins missing by default. They are (according to sharky's enumeration- which seems to fit)
5, 9, 12 and 15. An other monitor cable has 'just' Pin 9 missing.
For my monitors it doesn't make a difference. Maybe you have a similar Cable, to check. I can't say for shure, if it's necessary to disable pin 9, because all my cables don't have it :wink:
I have to admit though, the monitors are quite old.
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
sharky

Post by sharky »

why dont you buy a 1 meter vga extension cable? they dont cost much! or a vga doubling cable (to have monitors parallel.) you bring them home with less than 10 euro..

i played around a lot with monitrs in the apst.. cut cables here and there tryed to make a cellphone lcd work on the pc output, various things.. acutally nothing screwed up the monitor itself. for a missing pin.. if it would be mine i would test to remove pin 9.. but obviously its your decsision since the monitor is oyurs..

bye

igor
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Hello fellas,

Apologies for the late reply, I've been busy.

Right, Sharky has an excellent suggestion. Best thing to do is to buy an extension cable and take the pin out of that. The pin number is 12.

If your card has a DVI port, you can also get a cheap DVI to VGA adapter and remove the pin from that and then use the DVI port.

You can also cheat: You can bend the pin into the D shape metal bit so it doesn't go into the socket but around it and against the grounded shielding. The pin will get bent but it won't be removed. You can bend it out and back again quite easily using a screwdriver. Of course, this means that the plug won't go all the way in but i've always used this method with different monitors when DDC needed to be removed and it's never caused a problem and the pin has never been broken... I guess it depends on how much you love your monitor :P

Hope that helps,

-- Shahzad.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Post by chilledsanity »

12 it is! Thanks man, it looks even better than on my old monitor.
VadersApp
Cross Eyed!

Post by VadersApp »

Looked at my revelator adapter cable. one pin is missing there:

O O O O O
O O O O O
O I O O X

I: half long, maybe no contact.
X: completly missing.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”