To Get Answers, All You Need To Do Is Ask!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: To Get Answers, All You Need To Do Is Ask!

Post by Likay »

cocolapin wrote:thanks for answer :D
Ok so i think i wont go far away with my reald glasses
but i thinked there something like "Nvidia 3d Stereoscopic drivers 181.25" but for reald glasses (which gonna be THE cinema's glasses).
I dont wanna buy a monitor to play in 3D,
i'm gonna loose money, and loose my eyes :D , and perhaps loose my brain :D
You're loosing a nice addiction. :wink:

Hi and welcome by the way! :)
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
maverick281182
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maverick281182 »

Hi everyone,

Can a GeForce GT 220 be used with 3D Vision to play 3D games like James Cameron’s AVATAR? How about the ATI Radeon HD 4650, can it be used to play AVATAR too? What about slower cards? So what are the lowest requirements to play 3D games? Cause my max budget is USD $70 for a graphic card.

Please help!

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Avatar is not a very demanding game. I was able to make it through with an 8800 GTS 512MB. However a GT 220 is a seriously underpowered card and likely won't make the cut (even without 3D). Probably the lowest you could manage with would be a GTS 250. If that is too much money a 9800 GT will probably suffice (about the same as my 8800). On ATI probably the 4770 is the lowest card Avatar will work with. Keep in mind I am just ballparking these estimates. YMMV.

Also, what display solution will you be using?
maverick281182
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maverick281182 »

@ cybereality

I haven't decided what kind of display I will use. I will buy this new card, so that I won't need to replace it with another graphic card very soon. And I could still play the 3D games by the time I have the budget to buy the glasses & LCD.

I appreciate the help. Thank you very much!
masoh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by masoh »

Hi

I bought a ZALMAN ZM-M215W last week but it has annoying ghost in
some ocasions. So I checked the gohsting level with this picture.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/albums/us ... loos_X.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The result is , almost undetectable (below 10%) black ghosting and around 30% white ghosting for both eyes.
I'm rather shocked with 30% ghosting because I've heard ZALMAN monitors have only slight ghosting.
Is this normal for ZALMAN monitors? Or should I suspect some failure or setting problem?

Thanks in advance
Sorry for poor English
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I'm afraid that those results are quite right. This means that in general you won't see noticeable ghosting while gaming, but it will be very evident in those ocasions where high contrast scenes are shown. This bad situation doesn't happen often, that's why it is said to have low ghosting levels despite how annoying it is when the ghosting is so evident.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
masoh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by masoh »

Thanks for reply.
It's disappointing but at least I can stop bothering about settings now.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, the 30% white ghosting or 10% for black is normal for Zalman. Remember that this is an absolute worst case scenario. In normal gaming the ghosting is actually pretty low and is better than other solutions (like iz3D). But yes, there is some ghosting for sure.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

masoh wrote:Thanks for reply.
It's disappointing but at least I can stop bothering about settings now.
Just enjoy your zalman, it's one of the best stereo-3D displays in its category. I'm in love with mine.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Also remember that the Zalman has a very small vertical viewing angle where things will be clear in 3D. The further you drift from the sweetspot, the more ghosting you see. You can also adjust the screen to say only have ghosting on either the top of bottom of the display. This helps eliminate some problems in certain games.
wuLFe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wuLFe »

Hey folks - I'm pretty new to this whole "3d" thing and just received my first 3d-capable television this afternoon (the 73" Mits C9). I have the 3d kit on pre order from Amazon, but right now I'm trying to test out the 3d using the Iz3D ATI DLP Driver - I'm not having any luck with it, however, and was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

Here's my current setup:
Graphics : ATI Radeon 5850
Monitors : Primary : 26" Asus (non 3d) LCD connected via DVI connection
: Secondary : 3d Mits 73" WD-73C9 (3d-ready) connected via HDMI to HDMI port 2
I have the XPand 102 DLP Link glasses, but am not even sure if they're working, since when I put them on, with the IZ3D driver running, it just doesn't seem to make any great difference - I have tried it out on a few games (Half-Life 2, Rocket Knight, Dirt 2), but it never seems to be particularly 3d-ish to me, even though the iz3d menu does show up, and the image does become "stereo". I guess my current concern is not knowing whether the Xpand glasses are possibly faulty, or if there is some setting on the TV that I haven't enabled (I have set the 3d mode to "On"). My other thought is that perhaps running the Mits as the secondary display is causing the problems, and I should just run it directly.

Anyhow, I hope somebody has some suggestions for me - I think tonight I'm going to attempt to download "Invisible Tiger" for the PS3, and see if that works.

Any help will be most appreciated
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

It sounds to me like the glasses aren't working for whatever reason. I believe that TV should support those glasses so they should work. Did you check the batteries? Not sure what else it could be.
cyberized
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyberized »

WuLFe - - - Your 102's will NOT work on PC Games using IZ3D like you are trying to do....BUT you will get a pretty darn good 3D effect to play with using RED\Cyan Glasses and the IZ3D Contol Panel w adjustments to Separation and Convergence.....1st you need to go to their Control Panel; DX page; and change Source [ I believe] to Anaglyph Glasses\Optimized.
If you use Arcsoft's TMT3 they have a new 2D-3D Plugin that you can use with your 102's to get some 3D effect.....I have tried that BUT - to me, NOTHING to write home about.
PS - you might just try reading the Forums at IZ3D - they are very helpful there too.
Rots a Ruck! ;)
procrastes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by procrastes »

I'm new to this, so please bear with me...

Why do you say that the X102 will not work with the IZ3d driver on the Mits DLP 73C9 TV?
It seems that it should. IZ3d driver should deliver the checkerboard signal to his TV, and if the TV is in 3d mode, the X102 should be activated and show the 3d content.

It seems to me that the driver settings may not be correct or the X102 may not be working.
Could somebody please shed some light on this?

On a similar note, would the nvidia 3d vision kit work better with this TV compared to X102+IZ3d driver for gaming? Does nvidia have the better driver for this? What about X102+DDD driver?

Would the nvidia glasses/emitter be able to be used if the source of the 3d signal is not the computer, but lets say a PS3? (assuming PS3 outputs checkerboard or a suitable adapter is present)

Thanks a lot for everyone's very helpful comments and answers!
Woodbun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Woodbun »

Can anyone tell me what the best driver is for running dual monitors with one mirrored?

A friend of mine has a matching pair of monitors. We'd like to try a side-by-side setup with a large mirror in between them, so that he can shift back to dual monitor 2D when not playing.
I've heard that iZ3D drivers handle game HUDs better, as well as being able to output 3D youtube videos to fullscreen on two monitors.

Can anyone confirm this? Or if not, what driver would you recommend?
leonardo1206
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by leonardo1206 »

hello I have glasses 3d X3d. necesitaria drivers since they do not work to me because I have 7 Windows and one Nvidia plate 9500gt 512mb ddr2 and driver that to come they are for Windows XP
Zer0in
One Eyed Hopeful

Geforce 275 GTX, will it work for 1 monitor?

Post by Zer0in »

Hi Guys!

I am just getting into the 3D scene and I was looking to break into this hobby with minimal expense.

I currently have an EVGA Geforce 275 GTX and wanted to know if I would be able to play World of Warcraft in 3D on a single monitor/with glasses. Some information on nvidia's site says it can work and other information says it won't. I did search this site via Google and read a number of threads but wasn't able to find the info I am looking for.

Here is the monitor and glasses I am looking to buy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Will it work?

If not, what are my options?

Thanks!

Edit - Here are the rest of my PC's spec's:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.01 GHz
8GB RAM
64 bit Windows 7
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, it will work.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

I tried regular anaglyph long time ago with nVidia drivers and had pretty bad results. The ghosting was bad and red/skin tone looked horrible. I'm currently looking at trioscopic and Colorcode and heard that they are better at reproducing red. But some of you said that the old red and cyan is still the best, can someone explain? (http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Also I have the full version of Stereoscopic player and would like to know if I can use IZ3D's Colorcode mode instead of the generic yellow/blue mode in the player?

Thanks!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I find red/cyan to be the best overall, but they all have different properties. ColorCode can, with the right content, deliver a nearly ghost-free image with decent color accuracy. However some content looks really bad with ColorCode. Green/magenta I found to alter colors too much. Red/cyan is the standard for a reason.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

cybereality wrote:I find red/cyan to be the best overall, but they all have different properties. ColorCode can, with the right content, deliver a nearly ghost-free image with decent color accuracy. However some content looks really bad with ColorCode. Green/magenta I found to alter colors too much. Red/cyan is the standard for a reason.
How does it compare to your $5 transparency mod?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

OuHiroshi wrote: How does it compare to your $5 transparency mod?
Well the parallax barrier is a lot better than anaglyph except for the resolution (and I guess picture quality to a certain extent). I mean, with the parallax barrier you are getting a full-color 3D image. With anaglyph you obviously lose some of the color, and have to deal with retinal rivalry. But with anaglyph you get what appears to be a full-resolution image (technically its not full-res because the color channels are split between eyes, but it still looks full-res). With the parallax barrier you only get half-resolution per eye. The DIY parallax barrier also has a sort of grainy look to it, not clean and crisp like with real 3D solutions (even anaglyph). Plus the parallax barrier has a restrictive viewing angle that must be maintained for the proper effect. With anaglyph glasses you can freely move your head around as you please. So even though the parallax barrier is not perfect, I'd still say it was preferable to anaglyph.
fenome
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fenome »

I've got a 65" mitsubishi dlp that's 3d ready and a ps3, I just haven't had the cash to spend on gettin the setup yet...but I think I'm about to jump in now that there's more content available.

Do you think I should get the 3DC-1000 starter kit or just get the 3DA-1 adapter and buy the glasses seperately? If I get D-link glasses all I need is the adapter for 3d convertion right?

It's pretty much the glasses that I'm worried about, I have no clue which way to go...what are your guys recommendations? I'm willing to spend a little more if it makes that much of a difference but with me my wife and our three kids that means 5 pairs and that can run up alot of money that I just don't have right now...might just have to get like one pair a month or somethin..I get first dibs!! :woot
wuvluv
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wuvluv »

So I recently purchased a Radeon HD6970. Im running it along with a beefy i7, 6 gigs of ram etc you get the point. Now comes my problem.

I want to upgrade to a 120 hz monitor, that is for sure. Atleast 23".

I'd also like to, since im shelling out for a 120 hz monitor, to be able to use 3D Vision when I want to.

Any tips? I live in America and the 2 120 hz AMD certified monitors that are on their website are NOT available anywhere.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nvidia 3D Vision does not work with AMD cards. You might want to look into the 24" Zalman Trimon. I use the 22" version, and its a decent kit. Its not without its faults, but if you are running an AMD GPU then its probably your best option.
wuvluv
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wuvluv »

Looks like that monitor is only capable of 75 maximum hertz. :|

and yeah I know nvidias got a clamp lockdown on their 3d stuff and amd apparently isn't wanting to get its hands dirty.

They advertize HD3D ability and yet you can't get a damn monitor capable of utilizing it? wtf.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The Zalman doesn't need to be 120Hz since it's a passive screen, if you want an active 3D screen that does work with an ATI card your only choices would be the ViewSonic V3D241wm or the Acer HS244HQ. You'd better change your graphics card to have more choice since these monitors are not really the best to be found in 3D.
wuvluv
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wuvluv »

seems like that is the fate huh fredz. I can't find either of those monitors for sale anywhere at all. :|
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

There may be new 3D glasses coming out from IZ3D that will work with 120Hz displays and AMD cards. However it is not clear when (if ever) these glasses might come out. But like I said before, take a look at the Zalman Trimon. It has very good compatibility with AMD cards. It runs at 60Hz but it is passive, so thats 60Hz per eye. With Nvidia 3D Vision you need 120Hz just to get 60Hz per eye, and passive will still look smoother since it is a constant 60Hz (not flickering). The main issue with the Zalman is that its an interlaced display. So even though the panel is 1080P, you only get half the resolution per eye. And the viewing angles are pretty small. But otherwise its a nice monitor. You should certainly take a look at it.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

What's the vertical viewing angle for planar mirror set ups? And downsides besides the space issues.
Cotelio
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cotelio »

Are berezin and 3Dstereo still processing orders? I have to admit, they look... aged, and I could have sworn I read something about Berezin not responding to anything, ect. ...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, they are both still active. I order all the time.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Wow, where do I begin??

I've wanted a VR headset for my flight simulation PC games since the late 1990's but something always came up with problems in resolution and field of view that never seemed to make the purchase worth it.

I'm upgrading to a very powerful new PC now and again I'm looking for a useful 3d HMD experience if it's possible.

So far, I'm down to the following choices:

"VR Pro SXGA" 60 degree FOV OLED? 1280x1024 dual DVI input
"VR Pro WUXGA" 60 degree FOV OLED 1920x1080 Dual DVI see through (Would want it covered for a more immersive experience)

I think my dream HMD would have to be a British "Wide 5" system but it looks to be outside my $10,000 budget and I don't know about it's compatibility with my PC gaming habits.

My questions are the following:

Will the above systems create true stereo 3d images with dual DVI plugged into my NVidia GTX 580 video card? Will it run basically as a dual monitor system this way and provide frame sequential 3D format for my games?

What is the best way to get full resolution and true 3D images in a HMD?

I'm trying to optimise the experience for a certain game, DCS A-10C flight simulator. And I think I need all the help and experience I can find when it comes to finding others with experience with these HMD's.

I don't even know if I'm posting in the right forum, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask since you guys really seem to know your stuff.

Thanks for any help!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey man, welcome to the forum.

We actually do have a VR section ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) if you want to post a thread with a specific question (i.e. "what HMD should I buy?"), but this is a fine place to get started.

Anyway, I would recommend you take a look at the Sony HMZ-T1, which comes out in November. Its going to be the first consumer-level 720P (1280x720) HMD with around 51 degree FOV. Its also going to be around $800. Those headsets you listed are good, but are super expensive. They are like 15 times the cost of the Sony unit, while only being like 20% better. Plus the Sony will support HDMI 1.4a, so you know you will not have a problem with support. But even if you go with the high-end $10k models, you can still play games using the IZ3D or DDD drivers (they support dual output). Really though, you might want to make a thread in the VR section to get more answers.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Thanks for the advice!

I was hoping the Sony HMZ-T1 would have DVI input from my PC video card, but I'm not sure about the compatibility of the Sony system with a PC, NVidia graphics card and flight simulators. Though I think the system seems be to optimized for HDTV movie and console gaming systems.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The HMZ-T1 has HDMI 1.4 input, which is a standard that is very well supported. Can you use the Nvidia 3Dvision drivers on these flight simulators? Nvidia has said they are going to try to support this HMD, and they have HDMI 1.4 output. The DDD TriDef Ignition 3D driver supports HDMI 1.4 as well! Sony has also mentioned that it supports "All 3D sources", which likely means support for side by side and top/bottom input.

I would not spend $10k on an HMD right now, there are so many advances going on. Those displays you are looking at are okay, but the contrast ratio and color gamut of the microdisplays they use will probably disappoint you; The OLED displays in the HMZ-T1 will probably not.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

HDMI and DVI basically use the same signals. So you can get a $5 adapter and output HDMI from a DVI video card (however the card itself still has to support HDMI 1.4a 3D for this to work). Most Nvidia cards will do this (GTX 200 or better) and AMD cards (Radeon 5000 or better). Before you buy anything I would recommend downloading the 3D drivers and testing them in anaglyph mode (you should do this on your new computer which you plan to use the HMD on). This will let you know that your system is supported and if the game will work well. You can pick up anaglyph glasses for cheap, the best ones are call Pro-Ana. I will even send you a pair of paper glasses for free if you want (just PM me your mailing address). Would kind of suck to spend all that money and find out the game isn't supported.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Thanks guys for kind advice and support, I do have a pair of anaglyph glasses myself actually, but appreciate the offer cybereality.

The simulation does support 3D vision, it's older variant called "Flaming Cliffs" also supported 3D, and I found a neat article from a flight sim enthusiast using the eMagin z800 back in 2006 with the sim. Article can be found here:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_080a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the two units at the other VR site were these units below, just wish I could figure out the optical quality of the units vs. the lower cost sony. I'm used to working with night vision equipment, but this VR stuff always had me stumped when it came to optical quality vs. cost of the unit.

http://www.vrealities.com/vrprosxga.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vrealities.com/vrprowuxga.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll just take some more time and do more research on these Sony HMZ's, looks like they will be available soon and I could try one in a store. Also I'll be asking the simulator programmers about it's use for 3D and the HDMI format, so we can see if the Sony system will work well with it. It sure would be nice to be able to get a HMD solution going for under $10,000 if I could, at a resolution that would be more convincing than the 800x600 standard these days. Plus I could watch my movies in 3d with it too. For my PC, I'll be using an MSI GTX580 Lightning Xtreme edition card with 3GB of video memory, which I found has a single HDMI port and 2 DVI ports.

I don't know about the display technology used in the Virtual Realities website, but I suspect the two units I was looking at also had OLED displays.

Might be good for me to take the time and read up all I can on these forums for a bit, perhaps by Christmas I'll have a good solution that will work for me. :)

Thanks again for the assist guys and the helpful solutions.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

InvaderZIM wrote:I don't know about the display technology used in the Virtual Realities website, but I suspect the two units I was looking at also had OLED displays.
They are not OLED. If they were, it would be a major selling point, and would certainly be mentioned. I can say with 90% certainty that it uses LCD microdisplays made by Kopin, or Fourth Dimension Displays (Which Kopin bought out), and while they have decent resolution, the contrast and color reproduction is less than stellar. As for optical quality, I would be willing to bet significant money that the Sony is better. They have experience with HMDs, some of the best optical engineers in the world, and enough money to make custom lenses. The reason it is cheaper is not because it is lower spec, it is because Sony is mass producing them in large enough quantity for economies of scale to kick in.

Definitely do read the forums, though! There is a lot of info. I actually work with a Wide5 myself, and just FYI, it is not British. ;)

Good luck with your searching!
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

I can see your point PalmerTech, I guess using an OLED would be quite a selling point for an HMD, I'm used to using a monochromatic OLED display for a thermal imaging system and they are quite high contrast and flicker free, even at 60Hz.

Seems like this Sony might really be the unit for me, I found out the NVidia 3DTV system lets all PC games and movies be converted to 3d through your PC with the HDMI cable input. Just need to figure out how the Sony and my computer can use both eyepiece displays to make convincing 3d to my eyes. I have about 7 years of HMD technology to catch up on I guess, and about 5 years of catch up to learn more about my new computers capabilities.

Thanks for the correction on the Wide5, glad to speak with someone who actually has used such a system, I just kept drooling when I saw the system for sale at a uk website and vendor. I'm sure that unit needs special boxes and graphics formats to get the image to work well, but I need something that will be easy and reliable and work at home for my PC simulation entertainment. But man oh man how I'd love to have 150 degree FOV and actual simulated peripheral vision for this sim:

http://youtu.be/WUu4SV3GjVw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Closest I am to experiencing a Wide5 system is my experimental Holographic Night vision goggles.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”