Viewsonic PJD6531w, reviews?

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Viewsonic PJD6531w, reviews?

Post by RAGEdemon »

So, I finally receive a reply from the Viewsonic Engineers:

Hi :

Sorry for the late reply, and please see my feedback for inquiry 1 & 2:

1. In S3D modes (at 120Hz), the image is very much darker compared to any other mode. DLP Link only sends out small sync pulses in between each frame, it should not have a negative impact on brightness. 3D glasses always make the image dark as it is, so if anything, the image should be as bright as possible to try and compensate. Why is this? It's certainly not what I expected from a 3000 Lumen projector. Technically, there is nothing preventing a brightest possible picture!
<Vincent>
The IC chipset of current DLP link type 3D projector on the market were adopt the same standard spec IC provided from Texas Instrument (TI), and in order to sync the 3D content stream in between graphic and PJ side will been taken along with 90 degree (90/360) of white + cyan colours picking from colour wheel. As a result of that, the brightness will be reduced 25% than standard mode. Yes, one of the advantages for DLP type PJ is no need to turn off the indoor light comprising with LCD type PJ. However, this is the current technology limitation on DLP type projector in 3D application from TI. Hope the customer could understand and usage as a LCD type PJ when in 3D mode, thank you!

2. In the native and advertised 3D mode of 1280x720p at 120Hz, the image is always stretched to fit a 16:10 profile. There is absolutely no way to change it to 16:9 aspect ratios. Projector menu only allows switching between 16:10 and 4:3 options, there are no 16:9 options.
I have a 5870 crossfire setup. In the Ait control panel, i can enable GPU scaling and set it to centred timing which does enable me to get a 16:9 aspect ratio, but then i am unable to select the 3D 120Hz modes in any resolution.
<Vincent>
Regarding to aspect ratio this issue, we may have a deep thinking on why the native resolution on 3D mode is 1280x720 (16:10) but 1280x800 (16:9) this normal timing instead? As the main chip from TI, the current market scalar IC manufacturer hasn’t developed to 1080P caused by bandwidth limitation. Owing to 3D contents will be separated into double frame, the current bandwidth will be limited. Of course, double IC layout can solve this problem but related S/W and other side effects haven’t been solved yet. If we try to search the current 3D contents (up to 720P), you’ll figure out this is indeed a 3D technology limitation as now. Of course, maybe stepping into 2011, we’ll launch 1080P 3D supported projector soon based on IC provider’s product roadmap accordingly. At last, there should no problem to switch to 16:9 modes on this PJ except in 3D mode. Appreciate for your understanding again, and hope you enjoy the fun from 3D application, thank you!

So, there we have it, straight from the horse's mouth.

1. The 3D is darker with worse colours and contrast ratio because of the low colour wheel.

2. The aspect ratio is a permanent problem because the scaler chipset they use can't do 16:9 at 120Hz

They say that the situation is the same with all 3D projectors. Can anyone confirm this?

-- Shahzad.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

To be honest Viewsonic's 3D projectors (all of them) have been plagued with problems since the beginning. I would try to get my money back and get something decent like the Acer H5360.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Ragedemon, thanks for this info, it explains a lot.

To your question about the dimming @120hz it is my impression that all the 720p 3d projectors do this. Also none of the 720p 3d ready projectors do 1280x800 3d natively.

Regarding 3d at 16:9 - this projector can do it but it requires an EDID override. I have forced it to run at 1280x800@120hz - it works although text presentation is blurred, graphics are fine. With an EDID override to enable this mode I believe the 3dvision will allow it. I will attempt to make one today if the firmware update works as you describe. I am also wondering how you learned about getting the projector into firmware update mode. This wasn't mentioned in he DLPComposer docs.

Anyway, thanks for the info mate.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Rage, does the projector still report the old firmware for you? Or did you reboot it and that fixed it? I have successfully flashed it but it still reports version 1.02 and also the 3dvision still does not detect it as 3d ready.
How do you reboot this projector?
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Hi fReAq,

I made a custom inf a few days ago to get stereo at 1280x800 over VGA. I have uploaded it in my post about the pjd6531w review on the nVidia 3D forums. As you say, the results were less than impressive.

I get exactly your problem as regards to firmware. It always shows 1.02. I mention this as one of the problems in my first post on page 2 and in my email to ViewSonic. In their reply, they didn't mention the cause or a solution to this problem at all.

The customer support is just terrible.

The projector is being picked up today for "replacement". I'm certain the replacement will be plagued by the same problems, at which point, I shall request a full refund.

It would be good to keep each other posted on the projector. Spec wise, -it does seem to be the best one out there, but as cybereality says, the Acer H5360 is probably a better solution.

I'll be going for that if (when?) the replacement doesn't work out. It's a shame it has a longer throw distance vs screen size - I'm set up in a small-ish room.

-- Shahzad.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
mayaman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mayaman »

What about the optoma GT720? You should trynthat next.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Hi,

It certainly has nice features, but it doesn't mention how to connect up for Stereo. If i recall correctly, Optomas use the VGA for 120Hz, and it doesn't support nvidia 3D vision natively, and certainly not HDMI 1.4 :(

Aside from that, I can't even find a mention of it anywhere in the UK to buy it.

-- Shahzad.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

RageDemon wrote:
2. The aspect ratio is a permanent problem because the scaler chipset they use can't do 16:9 at 120Hz
Mate you are a champ for making that EDID override. Finally the projector does 1280x800 @120hz and there is no issue with picture quality (with exception of the 120hz dimming issue) unlike when I tried with powerstrip. 3d in this mode works great! Although the nvidia test does not work, all games and apps do. So that means 102400 extra pixels as well as no scaling making the 3d image just flawless.
Shazad when you get your replacement just run the unigine benchmarks in 3d and you will see that slight dimming and color differences in 120hz do not affect the 3d image in any significant way. At least that is my experience.

Well, since you have made this inf file I can stop trying so thanks heaps mate.

Regarding your quote above, I think what the tech guy meant was that the scaler is driven by the video signal rather than the projector menu in most cases, and that 1280x800 3d @120hz is not supported by the driver. Because it seriously is supported by the projector when using your inf file.

So I would suggest that you keep this projector until better TI chipsets are in production!
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Oh just dont count on Texas Instruments : )))))

These DLP chips in our PJ's are poop old in fact. These are called darkchip3. Even darkchip4 is years old now ;)
(and pricey as hell). These 120hz pj's look like they got the leftover darkchip3's.
Anyway, the dc3 is a very fine chipset, was used in 10.000 usd pj's as well,and dont forget DLP is just a micromirror device ,you wont get better colors because you have a new mirror device.
20hz vs 60hz color loss: Im sure its because of we have no more "brilliantcolor™" color boosting unlike at 60hz. This makes use of the white segment in the colorwheel, and I guess it spins as fast as it does on 120hz, so you cant expect it to work at 120hz cause that'd need twice as fast spinning.

Im still not so sure the 16:10 worths it against 16:9.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong. This info might be old:
Those micromirrors are actually important for correct colorreproduction. Since the colorwheel is rotating, a mirror for one pixel needs to shift position to match the colors of the wheel and the specific pixel. If a pixel is suppoused to be entirely blue the mirror needs to turn very fast during the green to blue transition of the wheel and the same when turning to red (or white depending on pj...). Higher transitiontimes of the mirrors will give bad colors.
So the dlp-chip is as important for correct colors as the colors in the wheel.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

You forget that each and every DLP (DMD) is lightning fast already , its the nature of technology.
Update rate can be 24000 / sec ( 24 khz !!) , this requires very fast LVDS signalling.
Thats why everything is multiplexed in DLP realm, even the colors, 120hz is not a big thing to do with DLP at all ;)
This is definitely an incremental version rather than a complete upgrade as the visual advances seem minor (the 30% higher contrast ratio seemed a bit inflated based on what we saw - which, while good - was hardly mind-blowingly superior to DarkChip 3 systems we had seen to date.

The DarkChip 4 process was originally developed for the high brightness and contrast picture quality requirements of the digital cinema industry. The contrast improvements from DarkChip 4 are achieved by advances in mirror design lithography and other proprietary process changes. The mirror tilt ratios are the same as DarkChip3.
I think the rows between pixels became even darker, hence darker-chip4 . :)

The limiting factor became the colorwheel itself:
BrilliantColor™Unlike projectors using conventional DLP® technology which employs a four-segment color wheel, the PH-1001X uses a six-segment color wheel and takes full advantage of BrilliantColor™ technology from Texas Instruments®. This broader color range enables far more realistic color reproduction, especially in the yellow and light blue hues.

LED's could be fast enough to emulate a 6 segment colorwheel, but , lumen output is compromised , it'd need an ultra high gain screen, and thats not an option for manufacturers, sadly.

Anyway, Im satisfied with the H5360 as it is.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Thanks for the info fReAq,

I have bought a HQ VGA cable to see if that helps with the image quality problems at 1280x800 at 120Hz over analogue.

Will update when I get the replacement.

-- Shahzad.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I don't know if this info is relevant, but a news has been published regarding this projector on the 3D Vision Blog :
http://3dvision-blog.com/workaround-sol ... 3d-vision/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

Hey fReAq,

How did you get the 1280x800 @ 120Hz working? I have the inf installed via Device Manager, but I still can't get it to stick in that mode. I'd love to have it in the right scaling, everything else is fine...
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Hi Gravy,
I've still got the DVI adapter pin hack going. That may be it.
Also I applied the inf file and then rebooted. I also then installed 3DVision CD 1.29 for good measure.

You tried those things?

fReAq
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

I'm going HDMI to HDMI, so no pin-removing. Do you actually see 1200x800 @ 120Hz in the corner when the projector switches modes? Mine always says 1280x720@120Hz. It's also possible since I first used the Acer EDID override, that something's not getting installed correctly. Still very awesome, but would be more so if everything was proportioned correctly.

If there was some way to scale it, that would be cool. Viewsonic still hasn't offered up any solutions, and I'd like to see what the firmware does (if we don't already have it, just version misreported.). If Nvidia officially supported 1280x800@120 (assuming the pj handles it), then that would solve that. By the time it all gets worked out, mauve we'll have 1080p 3D for $600... (with correct aspect ratios).
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Yeah Gravy, 1080p 3d thats some dream at the moment. Have you read that broadcast 3d is 1920x1080 but the horizontal resolution is cut in two to provide 3d, and that is state of the art right now... so 1280x720 is plenty good i think.
Well, HDMI is the best way to connect I understand, but truth be told I see no visual difference between DVI -> VGA -> Projector and HDMI -> Projector... same fidelity, but audio cables for audio. So dont get all tied up in 1.4 hype because a) this projector isnt friendly to it, b) were all stuffed when it comes to legacy hardware.
Plus yes I ignore the NVidia test at 1280x800 and just tried the games. and yes the projector says 1280x800 @120hz in the corner and for this thanks RageDemon, the games all work that way.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

tritosine I think youre right about the darkchip gen. But we re endpoint consumers and we dont think about those issues too much.
fixitguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fixitguy »

I know it's heresy to suggest this in a forum of perfectionists, but is the distortion of viewing a 16:9 image at 16:10 truly as intolerable as voiced here? Considering how many people aren't the least bothered watching 4:3 strectched to fill their 16:9 widescreen TV's (admittedly, such people can hardly be considered to represent a critical standard), isn't the relatively small horizontal distortion (about 6%) something the brain will very quickly adapt to once the viewer stops obsessing over it? After all, the brain apparently successfully deals with the disparity between the varying convergence (parallax) and fixed accomodation (focus) inherent in current 3D technology.

I ask this having never been "eye-witness" to a 16:9 image stretched to 16:10, and am willing to concede that it may be a bigger deal than I imagine.
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

It's not intolerable. When I got a 16x9 screen, and the squarish image wont fit proportionately, that's probably what I notice most. Unless I zoom it in, the top and bottom edges of the desktop are off screen. The main reason I set this up was for movies, of which most are well within the screen (16x9 or 2:35). I have a very sharp eye, and notice that it's elongated. If this was a regular monitor, I'd be altering the aspect somehow. If I can get it to 1280x800, and the pixel aspect looks correct, that will be enough.

It's not super-annoying, but like Blu-ray firmware updates, I'd be pissed if I was a regular old consumer. When Nvidia listed it as "compatible," they should have had it working at its native resolution. If they "tested" it the way we did, they would have received the same error. One shouldn't have to use a modified .inf file to get it work.

When it's working, the 3D is better than it "should be," for this type of setup, in my opinion.

3D Blu-ray looks absolutely astounding. We've never had anything this high quality to play in 3D before, so it's a whole new game. When you can see every detail, you may tend to notice that things are vertically stretched. As one who saw 'scope movies shown on TV and wondered why everyone looked so skinny during the credits, I am sensitive to aspect ratios.

I'll still keep it, as there doesn't appear to be anything better available at the moment. After hearing about Acer possible issues running upside down, I felt better about this one. Plus it's brighter, and the lamp lasts longer.
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

Still trying to get 1280x800@120Hz to work. I had first installed an Acer .inf, and the Nvidia Control Panel insists it's still there. I get the red message (which I'd assume during the test), but also in TMT when playing 3D movies. I think I'm pretty close. Maybe I'll try the pin-hack thing, but not sure why that would make a difference.

I sent Viewsonic some pictures of the image in both modes, so they can have a visual reference. I'm not sure their engineers understand what we've been trying to tell them. I just can't see how no one though this was odd during the testing phase (if there was one). A circle is only a circle, when it is not an egg.
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

Also, interestingly enough, Nvidia has removed mention of this projector from the 3D Vision Requirements page on their site...
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

1280x800 is its native resolution. Turns out this projector does do 1280x800@120Hz. The drivers supplied do not reflect that, but it does indeed do it. I finally pulled some pins, and hooked up a DVI->VGA adapter to the PJ. With the modified inf file, it can be made to run at 1280x800@120. The brightness decrease is the same as 1280x720@120. The only issue now is, since the EDID is not available, 3D Vision will only detect it as a Standard CRT. This evidently plays the frames in a reverse order, as the upside-down glasses method is needed as with the Optoma.

It works now with the beta 3D vision drivers in 720p, and also with the Acer inf @ 720p. The issue is when running 720p, everything is vertically scaled. This is not the case in 1280x800. So whether the PJ is scaling or whatnot, I want to run it at that resolution, with the correct eyes. The projector does this mode, but refuses to over HDMI, as it is not provided as a valid mode.

Again, for sure, this projector WILL run at 1280x800@120Hz, and I took a photo of the PJ setup menu confirming it. This only will happen right now over VGA, with the modified adapter. Certainly this mode can be written into the display drivers, and included in the 3D Vision setup wizard. Since 3D Vision thinks it's a CRT monitor, it doesn't really care what signal it's sending out. I want a way to override this, and all will be well.

Did anyone get this to work with the glasses worn the correct way?
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

As an update, the latest Nvidia drivers detect the projector with no issue. The scaling still could be considered an issue, but it's really not, as it can't be 'solved'. I spoke with several levels of Viewsonic support, and they eventually had to recognize and reproduce. I've grown used to it, and other than the picture not fitting into my 16x9 screen, I don't really care. The image is otherwise spectacular. I've never owned another projector like, this but I have a good eye for detail. While it's 720p, and 1080p would be 'better,' this does have its advantages.

720p requires less GPU overhead, which means more effects & higher framerates. 720 also only requires a decent HDMI (or DVI to HDMI) cable. I use one that's 25' long, and costs about $18. I sit pretty close to the screen (100"), just behind the point where one can see the individual pixels, or 'screen door' effect. I've played several games, watched 3D Blu-ray, and it looks better than it should, considering what it is.

The average person is impressed by this, as I've shown them, and they were impressed. There is no ghosting. That was the biggest surprise for me. Even with 120Hz, I still thought there would be flicker & ghosting. I am sensitive to refresh rates, and I can watch this for hours.

Converted 3D (from 2D sources) is always a mixed bag, but still fun for your old favorites. All the apps that do it, perform the function differently. Some scenes are pretty cool, some have things kind of reversed. I have sat & watched entire movies using some method of 3D conversion, and I liked it. Real 3D is better, but I still want to see a good, professional conversion on 3D Blu-ray. If they figure out how to make high-quality conversions, then they'll have the reason for us to buy movies again.

The projector is bright, colors are decent. Brightness is reduced somewhat at 120Hz, but considering the thing is almost too bright at default, it all works out. Watching a 3D movie in a darkened room is very close to a real theater experience.

Later I also picked up an Acer 3D monitor. It's also very nice, but hard to compete with 100" that everyone can watch. The 1080p does look great. After coming from VHS & LaserDisc & early DVD, I'm just happy to have a clean, stable picture. Most of our "HDTV" is often 720p, and never 1080p. I'll take the best I can when I can get it, but this is much cooler than I thought it could be. This I can enjoy right now, without justifying $3000 on a 3DTV. Replacing a 60" with anything smaller (3D or otherwise), seems like a downgrade to me. 100" is bigger! There can never be a screen "too big" for my room, unless it doesn't physically fit.
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

Hi,

Is *all* content scaled to 16:10 on this projector?
Someone mentioned that they do see bars at the top and bottom when in 720p, but I just bought one and just running a bluray though it via HDMI I get a scaled 16:10 image that doesn't fit my screen properly.
I thought it was just 3d content that was scaled, which I could live with, but if blurays etc. are all scaled too then I don't think I can live with this projector.
There are a lot of things going for it, but if I'm stuck with a scaled image from all sources then I think I'll have to get an Acer H5360 instead :-(
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
jem555
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jem555 »

Hi!, I'm about to get one of these 6531w...could anyone tell me if the 16:9/16:10 scaling issue has been solved???
Thanks!!!

Pablo.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

It's not yet solved unless you use the vga/dvi pin hack and the inf override.

But yes 1280x800 3d at 120hz is very excellent then.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Guys , check in, you re relatives

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=188126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NormByers
One Eyed Hopeful

So exactly how did you get your PJD6531 working?

Post by NormByers »

I've spent hours trying to find answers:
I have PJD6531w, PC is XP SP3 on Core 2 Duo running at 2.9gh, 2gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 w/1GB (I'm using the hdmi output). Also have AverTv HDMI capture card I was hoping to use for live feed from my Directv DVR but I'm assuming HDCP will be a problem (although NVIDIA and PJ are HDCP compliant - Aver may not be).
* First, as others, I've not been able to update the PJ's firmware (USB timeout error from DLP Composer). The enter/menu/plug-in firmware mode trick does not lightup the lights (I can't even find mention of it in the manuals). Any hints?

* I cannot run the PJ at 120hz. I create a custom 1280x800 120hz, or 1280x720 120hz and either looks really really wierd. I did this using properties, rather than modifying inf's. I note some have said I must use VGA, but some say HDMI. Whats the final scoop on this? Though I ran HDMI cables when I drywalled the ceiling, I can at least test with a VGA to see.

* Do I need Vista or Windows 7 to make this work. Nvidia 3D Vision seems to imply this. I'd want to only use 32-bit because I have a lot of media apps loaded on this machine and don't want to do the rebuild required by 64-bit install.

* Also need to know exactly what to do for Stereoscopic Viewer settings. Didn't work with DLP-link TV setting, with frame sequential format specified - hopefully this is just because of the 120hz that I never achieved. I've been trying to test with a small sample animated video from 3dtv.at. Their Stereoscopic viewer documentation is almost non-existant.

I'm surprised anyone here has gotten the PJ firmware updated. Viewsonic support acts like they don't know anything about it. As others, I'm really tired of them.

Would be nice to have bunch of single-post threads with ONLY specific instructions for getting different projectors to work - and no other comment.
cybereality

Re: So exactly how did you get your PJD6531 working?

Post by cybereality »

NormByers wrote: * Do I need Vista or Windows 7 to make this work. Nvidia 3D Vision seems to imply this. I'd want to only use 32-bit because I have a lot of media apps loaded on this machine and don't want to do the rebuild required by 64-bit install.
If you want to play games in 3D using the Nvidia drivers then you do indeed need Vista or 7. If you want to play 3D Blu-Ray with Nvidia then you need Windows 7. 32-bit will work, you don't need 64-bit. People have had some luck playing regular 3D videos (ie side-by-side, dual L/R) on XP without the Nvidia 3D Vision drivers, but I couldn't tell you exactly how to do this. The IZ3D drivers also may be of help for XP 3D gaming support, look into their 120Hz driver.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

"The enter/menu/plug-in firmware mode trick does not lightup the lights (I can't even find mention of it in the manuals). Any hints?"

I did get it to update eventually. Had to use XP of course, and I had to hold down some buttons on the PJD6531w for a few seconds to get it to go into the right mode. Sorry I cant remember exactly what that was....
But I think that if you install Win 7 and CD1.29 then it will detect the 3d ready projector and allow you 1280x720 @120hz 3d without needing to update the firmware.

To get 1280x800 @120hz you will need to do the dvi pin hack on a hdmi to dvi adapter (so as to connect to your walled system) and you will need to download the inf file from this forum http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=171489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Then install the inf file as a 'have disk' driver on your 'non p-n-p compatible monitor'.

-fReAq
STYXTRIBE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by STYXTRIBE »

I have read 90% of this thread. I am seriously thinking about getting this projector. I have a Acer 23.6" monitor that is just stunning in 3D. I did have issues with the latest Nvidia drivers . Installation was a nightmare. After honestly I don't know how the Nvidia control panel finally started working with the 3dvision kit. I had almost given up after multiple reinstalls etc. I am using a Evga GTX 460 super clocked version. I have a p35 ASUS chipset. Q6600 CPU with 4 gigs of memory and W7 32 bit.

http://www.frys.com/product/6259010?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Quote Fry's source True 16:9 resolution for widescreen brilliance

Perfect for wide notebook to screen or even DVDs and PC games – no distortion or scaling)

and

((((Resolution WXGA 1280x800, 3D: 1280x720 @ 120Hz (720p) )))

These statements suggest in their ad at least these problems have bee fixed. Either that or its false and does not work for true scale 3D movie playback.

I called Viewsonic's customer service. They insist it does work for 3D at 1280x720 P with the VGA cable. The person I talked to did not seem to have an understanding about 3D actual technical knowledge to speak of. Which does not give me very much confidence. But the ft that he says it only works with VGA cable indicates there might be some truth to the claim that its been fixed.

I considered buying a Mitsubishi DLP projection but after reading reviews for the almost RROD XBOX 360 style failure rate and problems with their tech support, almost guarantee problems. I don't understand why Nvidia does not team up with on of the LED/LCD TV makers and give us a real 1080P big screen experience wwithout all the hassle. If they want their 3Dvision to really take off this will have to happen on some format besides Mistubishi rear projection.

Anyway I will not feel bad about returning this if it is still a problem with the stretching mode. Using VGA might actually be cool because I can use the HDMI for something else.

I am going to get this and I will let you know how it goes.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Honestly, when it comes to 3D nobody knows what they are talking about (including me, I have been known to be wrong since this stuff is so confusing). Do not trust the Fry's website, do not trust the salesman in the store, do not trust tech blogs/review sites. Really, the only information you should trust is from people that own the product in forums such as this one (or even on Nvidia's forums). I am inclined to think that Viewsonic never fixed the problem, just like they were selling 3D projectors without Nvidia certification, just like they still sell DLP-Link projectors that don't work with anything. Sadly this is the worst time to buy a 3D projector, since none of them yet support the HDMI 1.4a 3D standard. However, if you must get a projector now go with the Acer H5630 (which has been confirmed to be fully compatible with Nvidia 3D Vision). It costs around $550.
STYXTRIBE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by STYXTRIBE »

I ended up with the Optoma GT720. I will be reading a lot about this even before I open it up. Hopefully here on the forums. I will let you know how it goes.

http://www.optomausa.com/Product_detail ... uct_id=479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote Optoma web site Specs (120Hz frame sequential 3D for resolutions up to 720p, 60Hz field sequential 3D for resolutions up to 480i)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=10895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

????? Should I start separate thread since this thread does not really cover the GT720?

I will post again when I have something to report.

TY!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ok, thats cool. Not sure how good that model is (or if it suffers from the same aspect ratio issues) but I would be interested to know. I would say start a new thread for the GT720 if you want. Its a bit off-topic here.
STYXTRIBE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by STYXTRIBE »

Hello again. Projector is set up. Heres the kicker. I cannot do anything from this point on without tech support from Evga. The Nvidia 260.99 drivers crash control panel right when it starts. This is the problem I had before. Im am not sure what to do to get this working again.

As far as the aspect ratios seem to be OK in 720P mode for Blu-Ray Its to early to tell though. My guess is there OK! Anyway I will be researching this driver issue. Tech support is not available 24 hours like usual. They have gone to holiday hours 9-5.

Any advice on drivers is appreciated.

TY!

Heres the error message in case anyones interested

(Nvidia Control Panel Application 3.4.772.04 has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working bla bla bla notifiad when a solution etc. )
STYXTRIBE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by STYXTRIBE »

OK! I got the drivers reinstalled. 260.89 version. It works again on the Acer monitor. But for some reason IR mode does not work. And it does not let me set up Stereoscopic for the Optoma Monitor. I even select the 3d mode option on the Projector. It is running in 120hz at 1280x720. So this should be working. When I switch to 3d vision preview pack it goes to 1280x800 mode. ANd its showing red green blue mode for 3D effect.

There has to be some way to force it into IR mode instead of link.

This is going back. The ones on the reviews say 3D on the Projector. Mine does not. This is not 3D ready as stated. This has to work out of the box. I think I will just wait for the next gen model to come out. 1080P full high def maybe??????
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You need to make sure your unit was manufactured after 08/01/2010. If not then it won't have the Nvidia certified firmware update. Unfortunately, the firmware is not user-upgradable. You will need to RMA the unit back to the manufacturer to be updated. They should do this for you for free, you will probably just have to pay for shipping. You can also try this hack, it might work for you.

Install the modified Acer H5360 driver .inf for your projector:
Acer_H5360modded.rar
Use this older version of the Nvidia driver (CD 1.29):
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce-3d ... river.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure you uninstall all Nvidia drivers before you try this. Then go to device manager, under monitors choose the GT720, right-click -> properties, driver tab, update driver button, choose the .inf I posted. Restart your computer. Then install the Nvidia drivers 1.29 linked to above. Restart again. Make sure you are running a resolution of 1280x720@120Hz (create a custom resolution if necessary). Then try the 3D Vision wizard and hope it works. Personally, I would be more inclined to send it back to get the firmware update while its still under warranty. Otherwise you won't be able to use the newer Nvidia drivers and get profiles for new games, support the latest video cards, bug fixes, etc. Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STYXTRIBE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by STYXTRIBE »

Thanks for all the advice. I did return it. I will be getting the Acer Model you mentioned. I just have to wait seven days until I get a check for 799.99 Bestbuy. They were nice about the return. They had another projector there as an open box buy. It did not have the 3D ready symbol on the projector either. But the gutted demo case did have the 3D ready symbol. They did call around to some other Bestbuy stores to see if they had another one, there was none.

In the mean time I will be doing research and looking for a viable alternative. I would much rather buy a 50" LED or LCD flat panel instead.

1st gen 3D is a real pain. someone needs to get this right.

My guess is Acer will be the first to come out with a good 1080P projector or maybe LED tv. You would think they could just partner with a tv maker and change the name of a 3d tv to Acer. Then just make drivers that work for that TV with 3d vision.

Thanks again for all the advice!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, the Acer projector is supposed to be good. Should play games fine and also 3D Blu-Ray movies, I believe. In terms of 3D projectors I believe it is the best one in terms of resolution and compatibility. The price is also very nice. If you want to go with an HDTV instead, then the Panasonic 3D plasma VT20 is a very nice unit. I have seen it myself and it is really nice, maybe the best on the market. It supports HDMI 1.4 so it will work with both Nvidia and AMD GPUs (although I do think Nvidia still has better support). If you are going for cheap, then there is a Samsung 720P model that sells for around $1000. Should be good enough for 3D games, although 3D Blu-Ray will suffer somewhat. If you have the space, though, a 100" inch 3D projector is probably hard to beat.

Return to “3D Projectors”