Viewsonic PJD6531w, reviews?

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
anawrot
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Viewsonic PJD6531w, reviews?

Post by anawrot »

It's been asked a few times so I just wanted to be clear, this projector scales ALL 720p 16:9 content to 16:10. Seems like one single user has managed to get a 16:9 setting under the Viewsonic Network Control page, but in my hours of debugging, I'm in the same boat as most other people...it just isn't there.

Without being able to access that either through the projector or network control page, everything at 1280x720, regardless of the refresh rate gets scaled and distorted. So much for "distortion free 16:9".
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Hi Anawrot,
I have also got the 16:9 unscaled working with this projector. Silly me I only realised it today and switched it on (through the network control panel). Yes the picture is unscaled 720p when this is done - looks much better, cant believe I didnt do it earlier...
Anyway, i see options 4:3 and 16:9 in the network control panel, while I see 4:3 and 16:10 in the projector menus. So I can switch to 16:9 only by the network control, and I can switch to 16:10 (for 1280x800 3d gaming) in the projector menu which is bloody silly and fiddly because I dont really want the projector connected to the network.
The firmware update is necessary to get this option.
So you need a 32bit xp machine and a usb cable. You need to hold down the power button and the menu and enter buttons until it turns on and then the two red lights flash - then it is ready for the firmware upload.
Run the composer software and follow the instructions carefully.

Good luck mate!
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Also, if the projector is making a loud fan noise, it may be that the 'filter mode' is on. Turn that off and it is much quieter.
anawrot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by anawrot »

I've tried the firmware upgrade multiple times and it's hard to know whether it's really working. The instructions say that the projector will restart after the update is done, but it never actually restarts, it just sits in service mode. Do you remember if your projector actually reboots by itself after updating?

It so strange that you have a 16:9 option under the network control panel, but not a 16:10 option. Even after my firmware update attempts, 16:9 is nowhere to be found.

What type of input are you using when you see the 16:9 option? Personally, I'm running through the HDMI input and whether it be 1280x720@60hz from my pc, or 720p from my ps3, they're both stretched.
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

The projector didn't reboot itself from what I remember. I had to pull out the power cable to turn it off, but that was after waiting 10 minutes. Also the control panel still reports the firmware as v1.02 but that is a mistake.
Ive tested it with hdmi and vga, it makes no difference what input you use, the 720p mode is independently controlled by the projector.
gravy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gravy »

I tried this yet again, with a clean install of XP. Still no 16:9 in the network control panel. There has to be some reasonable explanation ;)
russellk
Cross Eyed!

Post by russellk »

I might try this from my work latop as it would be nice to get 16:9 but it's such a waste that they didn't give us this in the first place.
The question is, do I try try the update, force 16:9 and use my existing screen, or do I live with 16:10 and the extra pixels and buy or build another screen?
Win 10 1903 (Via 3dfix manager - Non DCH)/W11, 11700K, Gigabyte 2080Ti OC, Samsung G9, LG 3d OLED, 4k Projector, WMR Odyssey+
nemomtt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nemomtt »

Hi fReAq,
I have followed the firmware instructions in the Viewsonic download and on this discussion and I was able to flash my projector without errors except for the failed reboot, however, like the others I still see 16:10 instead of 16:9 in the network remote utility. I was wondering if you remember if when you flashed your projectors if you selected the option to skip the 32Kb boot sector as per the Viewsonic instructions? I am trying to figure out why this update works for some and not others and I was wondering if the boot skip check box that Viewsonic says to check might be the difference. Also, my projector is brand new, January 2011 manufacture date.
Thanks,
Chaz
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Sorry, I can't be too much help here. FWIW I was a bit absent-minded the last time I tried it - as I was just doing a test - as the previous time has actually worked although the version no. did not update.
So it may be the case that I did not select that option (to skip the first 32k ).
It sounds like you would probably brick your projector if you tried it and it did not work - although you never know. Also since it's new you could get it exchanged.
Hmmm that's a tough one!
nemomtt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nemomtt »

Hi fReAq,
Well, it was worth a try. I am not sure I could remember that far back either. I thought might to know about the posting from the nvidia site below:

"I got an email from Viewsonic and they were very interested in hearing from anyone who has ever seen 16:9 show on any part of viewsonic software for anything related to the 6531w. They claim it never has done it, wont do it, and wasnt advertised as ever being able to do it. They appear to be right. The flashing of the bios, yeah, it just doesnt work. I think there is some hardware issue that they cannot solve to make the flash program exit properly. This makes this projects massively suck if you intend to really be using the hdmi input since things will be 16:10. Not sure how this product got out the door. It sounds easy to just turn a bunch o' pixels off to give 16:9, but hey. On the other hand, if you are looking at 1280x800, that does work and that is native, but you may have to hack their driver. I did it, but I cant remember if I had to when pushing the signal from vga."

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... try1218759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
superman859
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by superman859 »

Hello,

A little late to the thread, but hopefully someone can help.

I've had the PJD6531w since last summer but never got into the 3D aspect of it since I didn't have glasses and didn't want to buy them. I now have them but am struggling to get 3D working.

It initially had the 1.02 firmware, but I struggled through the firmware update and THINK I updated it to 1.47. Since most of you report that it still reports incorrectly, how can I tell if the firmware update was successfully applied? In the updater program, I know it seemed to erase the data and then copied the new data, and said complete, so I imagine it worked...but can't tell.

It's hard for me to figure out where the problem in the 3D setup lies...projector? glasses? video card? cable?

I have the xpand x102 DLP link glasses, but am not sure if they work since they don't seem to activate (never used them either, which doesn't help). I think they auto activate when getting 3D signal...

I've tried with the PS3, but it doesn't seem to think it's a 3D ready projector. My understanding is it should after the firmware update which should bring it to HDMI 1.4. Has anyone had any luck with this projector and PS3?

Also tried last night (before firmware) with HTPC / PowerDVD, but didn't make much progress. This evening I will try that route with the (hopefully) new firmware and see if I make any more progress. I do not have the Nvidia vision, though, which seems to be what a lot of you guys are trying with. But then again, it could be the video card (ATI Radeon 4850) - not sure what kind of support for 3D this will have. It outputs HDMI, but I couldn't find any details regarding which version.

Last but not least, could be the cables. Bought them about a year ago too (I think) and not sure exactly if they were 1.4 ready or not. Doesn't say on the cables. They are the amazon cables and I'm not sure when they started selling those. All they say on the cable is 'High Speed', and I'm not familiar enough to know if this aligns with 1.4 in any way or not.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Well I do not think that projector is HDMI 1.4 compatible, and neither is that ATI video card you have. I think the easiest thing would be to get an Nvidia card and the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. But even that is no guarantee, as you have probably seen with the problems people have had in this thread.
superman859
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by superman859 »

Thanks for responding. I've actually just returned the glasses and deciding to go without 3D for now. My projector hasn't even been hooked up in a year, so just getting a nice big 2D picture feels like an upgrade. I will be getting a new TV within the next year anyways, so I will just get a 3D one at that time as newer models seem to be getting a little bit better about 3D now.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Guys, I got a replacement 6531w for one which developed a dead pixel a couple of days ago.

The "new" 6531w projector, wait for it, HAS 16:9 OPTION!

They have been lying through their teeth to us so they wouldn't have to replace everyone's projectors, because their flashing program which should have fixed the issue, also never worked.

Picture attached as proof:

The interesting thing is, I still use the VGA cable with my hacked driver inf because I get full 1280x800 with VGA instead of 1280x720 in 3D over HDMI.

Side note: When you create a custom resolution of 1280x800 over HDMI and enable 3D (which works PERFECTLY), a big non-disableable red message pops up on the centre of the screen saying it is not the correct resolution for 3D vision.

Thanks nvidia, for putting in another arbitrary road block ಠ_ಠ

-- RAGEdemon
Copied from my original thread over at nvidia forums...
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Ha amazing. Can you change from 16:10 -> 16:9 right from the projector menu without having to go through the network setup page?

I guess this makes the 6531w the best sub $700 3d projector - although it requires quite a long throw.

You managed to get 1280x800 @120hz over hdmi? Did you need to wear the glasses upsidown then? Removing the red text seems like a smaller issue to get around, hmmm.

Thanks for the update! My 6541w is still going strong on the same lamp it started with. Got it 10 months ago now.

May need to upgrade to a 1080p 3d projector for battlefield 3....
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

I hear that fReAq. If only 1080p weren't so expensive :P

Yes, the projector allows me to go from 16:10 to 16:9 to 4:3 through the projector menu, and it's instant.

I hardwire reversed my 3D vision glasses a long time ago.

I use mainly DLP link glasses though, which are far better imho, as they are truly 0 ghosting. With these, i can reverse at the flick of a switch.

Reversing is only a problem with VGA afaik, not on hdmi, no matter what the resolution.

Unfortunately, this projector has issues too, I will ask for a replacement. It shuts down without cooling off, and when 3d sync is set to off on the projector menu at 120Hz, I get corruption.

This is significant to me because I'm one of those people who notice the difference between 60FPS and 120FPS. When I want to play something in non 3D, I want 120FPs, but this can only be done well with the 3D sync is off. The other options; 3D vision decreases peak brightness, presumably to reduce ghosting with nVidia's crappy glasses, or DLP link option, which decreases contrast (which is fixed when viewed through DLP glasses).

The red warning, I am having major issues with. It just can't be disabled my myself. I would appreciate any help from anyone on this :)

-- Shahzad
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I've read through this entire thread, but i'm pretty confused, as there seems to have been several different versions of this projector and firmware. I really want to buy this projector, as its $400 cheaper than anything equivalent where I am.

I pretty much exclusively use Nvidia 3D Vision, so can anyone tell me if the 'new' versions of this projector (3d Vision certified and with the firmware that came out in 2010) are any good for displaying 3D Vision games or 3D Stereoscopic player stuff in 1280x720 or 1280x800?

I prefer 1280x800 as a resolution (i prefer 16:10) so would be using that for games, which leaves me with wondering if I'll experience the problem of it stretching 16:9 movies to 16:10 when playing them (which i'd be doing using either Stereoscopic Player or VLC). Since its only 720P, i'm ok with displaying using VGA. I'd guess i'd have to make sure the projector I got had the 16:9 option mentioned by RageDemon?

I'd prefer to buy the Acer, just since so many people say its the best, but they dont seem to carry it here in NZ.

Or, should I just wait for a newer and better projector, since everyone seems to have had lots of issues with this one?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

WiredEarp wrote: Or, should I just wait for a newer and better projector, since everyone seems to have had lots of issues with this one?
Honestly I would beware, just due to the problems I've read people have with it. I mean, you might get a good one but is it worth the gamble?
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

I just bought one of these on friday and spent the whole weekend at a LAN gaming on it. I was a bit dubious about getting one based on some of the info in this and other posts but as this is the only 3D ready 720p capable projector available here in NZ at the moment, so I decided to get it anyway and take my chances.

All I can say is this projector more than meets my expectations, I have never experienced ghost free 3D untill now and I can say that (with 3D vision) the 3D on this projector seems to be flawlesss thanks to it being DLP, add to that the experience of big screen 3D and you have an awesome experience. There may be some ghosting on it but I have not noticed any yet and I have used the Samsung and Alienware 3D monitors both of which the ghosting issue is very noticeable, for me this projector has less ghosting than even the RealD 3D cinemas.

The manufacture date of my projector is 16-6-2011 so seems to be the latest firmware and has the 16:9 option in the projector menu in 3D mode so no image stretching, it does seem for some reason that the only resolution 3D vision will support is 720p, I don't know why this is but it will mean that anyone wanting to use the 1280x800 resolution for 3D gaming will need to use the VGA cable mod (I assume that will still work with the current version of the projector firmware)
However I have a 16:9 screen so this does not bother me as using 16:10 means that either the top/bottom of the image will be off the screen or I will need to shrink the image so the image fits on the screen but then the image is not as wide as the screen.

First impressions of the projector and included accessories is very good, the projector itself looks nice. Image and color quality is very nice for a projector of such low cost, I was also surprised at how small it is because the last projector I had was the Panasonic PTAX200E which comes in at nearly twice the size! It was nice that Viewsonic included a padded carry bag and a remote with the projector (something that even more expensive projectors often have as optional extras) the size and included carry bag make this a very portable projector so if you have a 3D capable laptop and this projector then you basically have a portable 3D cinema!. The image projects at an upward angle so this means that the projector is designed to sit on a table in front of you and project up to the screen in front of that (for board presentations etc), for me I want to sit as close to the screen as is comfortable to get the greatest effect from the 3D so this means that the projector needs to be mounted upside down above and behind where the viewer sits to get a large image not too far away from the viewer without the viewer getting in the way of the image. It would have been nice to have a lens that has adjustable angle but at the low cost and size of this projector its no surprise that it doesn't have this feature. Now for 3D, what can I say, amazing! This is by far the best 3D image i have seen, far superior to any 3D monitor or 3D TV I have used. To set up 3D with 3D vision all I had to do was install the latest 3D Vision driver, plug in the projector with a DVI to HDMI cable, set resolution to 720p, run the Nvidia 3D vision setup and set the projector to 16:9 in the menu when in 3D mode. Easy and straight forward, it seems the problems with the early versions of this projector and 3D vision have been solved. The only downside this projector has compared to my Alienware monitor is the resolution, (alienware is 1080p) while the difference in resolution is noticeable if you are too close to the screen I find that is definitely worth the trade off for Ghost free 3D and a MUCH larger image size and I don't tend to notice the difference in resolution too much when gaming or watching a movie, it only really becomes noticable when looking at static images and for me I don't think it is really all that bad.

For anyone thinking of buying this projector all I can say is check the manufacture date on the box before buying, if it is recent then you should not have any problems if using with a PC, if you intend to use it with a PS3 or BluRay 3D player then you can get a adapter from Viewsonic but for the money it costs I would probably just wait for HDMI 1.4a projector to become more widely available. For the money this is one nice 3D projector!.

I am now hoping now that HDMI 1.4a 3D projectors hit the market soon and people with these projectors start to sell them second hand so I can pick up 2 more of these cheap for some epic 3D vision surround :D
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@mAchiNE: Awesome man! Glad that worked out for you. You make me want to get a projector too.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Nice, thanks Machine, thats exactly what I needed to know. What store did you buy your projector from and how much was it? These projectors are way cheaper than any other 720P 3D Ready projector available here, so i'm quite tempted (I really want to use it to give a high FOV for immersion, as my Z800 just doesn't really give a wide enough FOV).
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

@WiredEarp
I bought it from ExpertInfotech in Glenfield $1315
http://einfo.co.nz/shop/viewsonic-pjd65 ... 21638.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They dont keep them in stock so I would suggest you ring them and get them to order it into the store then go down to the store and check the manufacture date on the box before you pay, although I would imagine it will have a similar date to mine.

if you want high FOV you could get this:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-ph ... 318649.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and cut the screen off the roller and make up a frame with slightly curved edges to mount it on

Also 2 other things I noticed about this projector, it has built in speakers, this is nice if you are using it for portable movie watching or presentations with sound. The speakers are obviously not high quality sound but they get the job done if you have nothing else ( I watched a movie on the projector using the built in speakers and it wasnt too bad )
The other nice thing is that when playing 3D videos in Nvidias 3D video player the projector switches to 120hz mode as soon as the 3D video starts playing, it does not need to be full screen. This is good because on my previous monitors (samsung and alienware) 120hz mode would only activate when a full screen 3D program was active, this meant that when plaing a 3D video switching from full screen to windowed took 3-4seconds while the monitor switched modes, this is annoying because the Nvidia 3D video player does not have any on screen controlls in full screen mode so if you wanted to pause or fast forward you needed to wait for 120hz to turn off then on again as you windowed then fullscreened the program. this is not a problem with the Viewsonic projector and as it can run 120hz with out fullscreen programs it could possibly mean someone could make a 3D background using a modded version of one of the windows active background programs that use video files as background (just use video that alternates between laft and right image continiously) just need to get it to activate 3D vision somehow.
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Cheers for that, EI are fine, and that screen is pretty much what I was wanting.

I'm torn now though. Should I get a 720P projector, screen, etc (probably about $1600 all up), and use it with 3D vision to get better immersion... or should I wait and get the Sony HMD. Same resolution, same price, no bulbs, and a HMD. Not being able to use it as a normal projector would be a downside though...

When you talk about doing it in windows mode, are you saying you can do 3D when 3D video player is windowed? Is the 3d displaying in a window on the projector?

I always thought there was a driver limitation that stopped 3D from working when windowed?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nvidia updated their driver a few months ago to allow windowed 3D. Its mostly for use with videos like YouTube3D or the Stereoscopic Player (not sure if gaming works).
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

@Cyber
Oh i didn't realize that was a driver fix, although after I posted I did suspect that might be the case, its good that Nvidia did that although it would be nice if they would add some fullscreen controls to their 3D video player.

@WiredEarp
If the sony HMD actually comes out I will probably get that too for FPS/VR(or the cinemizer OLED if its just as good), the projector will still be useful for watching 3D movies as I rarely watch movies by myself, also I think based on the FOV of those HMDs you will get a much wider FOV if you get the projector and sit fairly close to the 120" screen, especially if you curve it. I've currently got an 80" projector screen right in front of a racing sim setup and the FOV is about 3 times bigger than a VR920 so you can imagine what a 120" screen will be like (let alone 3D vision surround!), so for racing and flight sims the projector is probably a better choice but for First Person games the immersion of a HMD even with smaller FOV (once you add headtracking to it) should be better especially since you can move around with it on.
As for bulbs you can get replacement bulbs for under $300 witch is fairly cheap and they last ages anyway.
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Thanks CyberReality, didn't know about that update.

@Machine, good point re the FOV. I might get my Z800 and do some tests with that on FSX in stereo (old school Nvidia 7900 + drivers on my 2nd PC) to see what the immersion factor with that is like (since its close to the specs on the Sony HMD).

MOST of what I need the high FOV and 3D for is flight sims, so the higher FOV screen may be worthwhile. I basically just need something better than my Alienware 3D monitor for Black Shark (I see by your sig you have a similar setup).

The only problem I can see with watching 3D movies (I have a few) on that projector, is that you will need a pair of glasses for each person. If you are using 3D Vision, this is pretty expensive. I have heard some references to using eDimensional glasses with 3D Vision, so if thats possible that might be the best path - you can get eDimensional glasses pretty cheap (and they work fine on my old CRT).
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

I picked up 3 pairs of 3D vision Glasses off ebay a while ago for $80NZD each, if you hunt around you can get some good deals
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

mAchiNE wrote:I picked up 3 pairs of 3D vision Glasses off ebay a while ago for $80NZD each, if you hunt around you can get some good deals
Yeah, I got an extra pair for $62 USD. You can find deals if you look.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Thats pretty good, about $40NZ each. If I get a projector, I'll probably do this. I already have 2 sets of eDimensionals tho, so if theres an easy hack anyone knows of to get these hooked up, let me know :)

I do really like the Nvidia glasses MUCH more however. More wraparound, comfier with glasses on underneath, and they are rechargable. I've also never had any problems with ghosting etc, at least not ones due to the hardware (wierd driver issues HAVE caused me some pain).
fReAq
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fReAq »

Wired ED glasses work normally just using the ED Activator to turn them on :)
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

After having the PJD6531w for a few months now it has now become my permanent monitor on my gaming PC! You really cant beat large screen 3D! :D After using this, a 24" 3D monitor now seems like a waste of time.
I did notice the lower resoloution (720p vs 1080p) in BF3 Beta (becacuse of the extremely high level of detail in that game) but the beta only had 4xAA so I think it will be fine on the final release with AA cranked way up, Dirt3 COD and 3D movies etc are fine resoloution wise IMO (and I sit about 1.5m away from an 80" screen).

And on a side note I just had a thought the other day that if I want to do 3DVS on the cheap I can get 2 800x600 3D projectors and turn them on the're side giving me and extra 600 pixels width on each side at an angle to fill part of the periferal vision (effectively doubling the screen width and having it angled in at the edges) this gives a total resoloution of 2480x800 and has the added benifit of not needing such a powerful PC to run it (compared to using 3x 1080p screens), plus if the screen goes much wider than that it will be out side the 3d Vision glasses FOV when looking straight ahead anyway.
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Okay so I just got a 150" Projector Screen!!!
Now that I have a screen big enough to use the projector in 16:10 mode I started to play with settings to see if I could get it to run 1280x800 in 3D mode through HDMI (which by default it does not!) so I don't have to resort to using the VGA cable hack.

When I looked into the settings the first thing I noticed in the Nvidia control panel is that in 1280x800 the only refresh rate available is 60Hz...... so seems like this is the reason for the annoying red warning when trying to run in 3D mode saying it is not a supported 3D setting! :evil:

So I found a way to fix this problem in the Nvidia control panel by creating a Custom Resoloution :D
Here's how to do it:
- go into Nvidia Control Panel
- click on the 'change resoloution' tab under 'Display'
- click 'Customize'
- click 'create custom reslolution' button at the bottom of tab
-Settings for custom resoloution are: Horizontal Pixels: 1280, Vertical Lines: 800, Refresh Rate: 120, Color depth: 32, Scan Type: Progressive
-before you Apply the settings press the 'Timing' button at the bottom of the tab, you wil see a bunch more settings conme up, change the Timing from 'Automatic' to 'DMT'
-Click Test, the image should turn off then come back looking normal.
-Apply the settings and you are done!

I tested this in the Nvidia 3D test App and it worked!!! :D
It also seems to work fine in games, no annoying red warning and 3D mode activates prefectly fine.

Only problem is when using 3D Vision Video player :shock: for some reason I get the red warning! :evil: but in windowed mode dispite the annoying red warning the video is still playing in 3D mode fine! but when I fullscreen the 3D mode stops working! I am not sure why this is but at least with this custom resoloution you can play games in 1280x800 in 3D then switch back to 1280x720 for watching movies in 3D (most of which are 16:9 aspect ratio anyway so you are not losing any resoloution there).
Annoying I know but at least we can play games in 3D at full resoloution over HDMI :D

If anyone can figure out why the 3D vision video player is having this issue then please let me know! otherwise if I can fix it I'll post back here.

Hope this Helps!
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

mAchiNE wrote:After having the PJD6531w for a few months now it has now become my permanent monitor on my gaming PC! You really cant beat large screen 3D! :D
I have this sentence in fewer words, it goes like

VWFTW

Video Walls For The Win !!!

:mrgreen:
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
a12103754
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by a12103754 »

I just bought this projector along with the PDG-250 shutter glasses. Unfortunately I cant make it work.
So, instead of using 3D Vision, I am using the DLP-LINK method between the projector and the glasses.
But I dont get to see any 3D image.

I followed what @mAchiNE did, and now I am running it at 1280x800 @120Hz using a HDMI cable. (thanks!)
I have talked to ViewSonic's online support, but they dont know how to fix it.

Does anyone use this set up (6531w with DLP-LINK method and a Quadro card)?

Thanks!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@a12103754: What software are you using? Have you tried the IZ3D driver in 120Hz mode?
a12103754
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by a12103754 »

Thanks for the replay =)

I tried using Stereoscopic Player as well as other players, but non of them showed any positive result.

I am a game programmer and I am using OpenGL for testing the four buffers method (that's why I am using the Quadro card).
In the projected wall, it looks like two images overlapped, but the glasses cannot get in sync.

I am going to try the IZ3D driver and post the result the results here.

Thanks again!
hatharry
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hatharry »

after months and months of research ive finally figured out how to use hdmi at 1280*800*120 and remove the message saying "attempting to run stereoscopic 3d in non 3d mode"

here are the steps:

thanks to mAchiNE
mAchiNE wrote: So I found a way to fix this problem in the Nvidia control panel by creating a Custom Resoloution :D
Here's how to do it:
- go into Nvidia Control Panel
- click on the 'change resoloution' tab under 'Display'
- click 'Customize'
- click 'create custom reslolution' button at the bottom of tab
-Settings for custom resoloution are: Horizontal Pixels: 1280, Vertical Lines: 800, Refresh Rate: 120, Color depth: 32, Scan Type: Progressive
-before you Apply the settings press the 'Timing' button at the bottom of the tab, you wil see a bunch more settings conme up, change the Timing from 'Automatic' to 'DMT'
-Click Test, the image should turn off then come back looking normal.
-Apply the settings and you are done!
now that your running at the resolution that looks right and can support 3d, when you go to test the 3d you'l see "attempting to run stereoscopic 3d in non 3d mode" this is how to remove that:

you'll need PE Explorer http://www.heaventools.com/download-pe-explorer.htm

once downloaded and installed you'll need to open the file nvstres.dll

Mine was located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision"

Go to the button called Resource Viewer\Editor and click it, open the folder bitmap and find 201. open 201 there should be an open file button next to replacement source. download the attached 201.bmp and use it as the replacement source.

go to file and save the file as nvstres1.dll. once saved rename the original nvstres.dll to nvstres.dll.old and rename nvstres1.dll to nvstres.dll

disable and enable the 3d in the nvidia control panel

ill attach the modified nvstres.dll for driver 285.62

Note: this will remove all of nvidia OSD

last of all games like to look at the resolution in the driver for windows! not the custom resolution in the nvidia control panel so install the edid override inf attached

Enjoy :woot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hatharry on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@hatharry: Awesome work dude!
DooMed
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DooMed »

Hello!
Guys, first of all I would like to thank you all for that research and work u done.

I've recently bought new Viewsonic 6553w projector (it was still "3d vision compatible" on nvidia site), but found out that it's not recognizing as a compatible one.. Nothing to say, I was very disappointed! Made several calls to Viewsonic Europe, chatted with Nvidia support several times, but they could not figure anything out. A mate, who worked in Viewsonic, told me interesting thing: NVIDIA wants great money to list a display or a projector as a compatible one, that's why there were problems with 6531w and 6553w just disappeared from the list. I've used Nvidia video cards for past 10 years and it was the first time when I began to hate this corporation!!! So, I've tried everything I could: took out the pins from DVI-HDMI adapter, DVI-VGA adapter, made an attempt to fake the drivers, tried to fool 3d vision wizard (oh, I hate it SOOO MUCH), made several fake inf files, but still can't figure out how to make everything work.. Help pls!!!

P.S. I will never spend a dollar on 3d vision compatible hardware, I promise. I work as a project manager, so now we tell every client not to use NVIDIA glasses and buy PALMEXX PX-203 instead, every 3d classroom or home movie theater we arrange is build from officially not 3d vision supported hardware and software and I'm proud to say that NVIDIA lost minimum 150000$ because of their greediness (02.12.2011-10.01.2012)! :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I'm actually pretty upset that Nvidia claimed the Lenovo Y570 was 3D compatible (which is why I bought it) but it doesn't work. Really annoying.

Return to “3D Projectors”