Universal IR Emitter (transmitter) from 3D TV

caseybryson
One Eyed Hopeful

Universal IR Emitter (transmitter) from 3D TV

Post by caseybryson »

Does anyone have any experience with the Universal Transmitter from 3DTV's Michael Starks? I've tried searching in these forums, but I haven't had any hits.

For the uninitiated, the website looks like crud, but this dude is a genius--one of the latter-day 3D pioneers.

From 3dmagic.com: http://www.3dmagic.com/pdf/Digital_3D_p ... th_BIO.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The Universal Transmitter in home or 3D Cinema versions can be used
with most wireless shutter glasses –e.g., the new 3D Window
Model from 3DTV Corp, CE (CrystalEyes) from StereoGraphics
( Real D), NV (NuVision/Xpand) and X3D (I/O, Razor)-- (though
only one of the 4 standards works at a time). The 3D
WINDOW™ glasses also automatically sync with NV or CE
transmitters allowing Pro or Cinema users to painlessly replace
their more expensive glasses or to deal with emergencies. With
suitable interfaces it will also work with the common low cost
DLP projectors running at 60, or 85hz or higher

Although 3DTV's Univeral Transmitter has been around for over a decade in various form, I'm crossing my fingers that it work with Xpand's x101's and just about everything else too. If it does...maybe this is the "holy grail" we all have been looking for.
caseybryson
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Universal IR Emitter (transmitter) from 3D TV

Post by caseybryson »

I e-mailed Michael Starks again and below is the e-mail I received. The price for the Universal IR Emitter and any of their glasses is around $100. I think the model J glasses look exactly like the Samsung SSG1000.

NOTE: I've also e-mailed for specs and more specific info on the specific XpanD protocol that the emitter supports. More to follow...

"The emitter currently supports NVidia, CrystalEyes,Old Samsung, I/O(Razor), 3DTV Model E, 3DTV Model J and XpanD. However this is changing very fast and XpanD has introduced a new protocol for their Cinema glasses which may be appearing in their home glasses as well which is incompatible with their old glasses(ie ca 99% of all their glasses currently in circulation). The new 240fps glasses from Sony, Samsung etc are just appearing and we do not know if we will support them. Same with the new ones from Panasonic. Our new Model E will be the first multistandard glasses --ie they will sense the IR protocol and work with at least the old XpanD as well as our new 3DTV standard in Model EC(ie Cinema version) while we have designed the Model EH(ie Home version) to work with 5 standards--ie prob. not with old Samsung). I attach the current owners manual for home emitter and Model J glasses as we have those now while we hope to intro the newest Model EC and EH at Infocomm in June. By then we MAY have emitters/glasses compatible with some of the newest protocols that are now appearing.

I also attach latest info on emitters and prices. Everything is in stock except Model EC and EH which we hope to be shipping by Infocomm."

2nd message
Afaik no glasses or emitters from anyone are compatible with anyone elses except for ours. The old old xpand with nonreplaceable batteries are afaik long gone so we are talking about their newest programmable glasses (ie secured IR cinema) Model which is something like X101AUF. Probably our newest glasses/emitters will be compatible --keep tuned. So our existing Model J are compatible with all Xpand (and our Model EC and EH) except the x101auf and our new Model EC will probably be compatible with old xpand and X101auf and the new Model EH will prob be compatible with every thing(except 240fps system perhaps). All the glasses models from others are afaik only one protocol and our Model X are identical with Razor/.X3D/I/O/Edimensional. The new 240fps from Sony/Samsung etc are not afaik compatible with anything else but we will work on it. New Panasonic likewise. Of course others can read and are copying my biz model as they have for 30 years so several have announced a "Universal" glasses but afaik so far this only means you can use them with various hardware and none afaik are really multiprotocol glasses or emitters yet except ours.
-Michael Starks
Last edited by caseybryson on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think we should support the 3D industry by buying the modern day glasses and not using hacks to utilize old technology. But still, I'm sure some people will be interested.
smoothy
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by smoothy »

why don't you just get these when they come out which fixes all problems with current 3d tv's sync ports only allowing glasses to work from the tv make

http://www.xpandcinema.com/news/43/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; new x103 glasses work on all models including nvidia 3d vision coming in june, sites suggest price to be around $125-$150, if this 3d really catches on, I guess the price of these will drop significantly. With active 3d tv's being cheaper than polarized, if only they can then get active glasses cheaper then maybe we won't need polarized tv's. isn't active 3d just as good?

look at the specs on these, they have 250 hours battery life

http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/X103-home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
caseybryson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by caseybryson »

cybereality wrote:I think we should support the 3D industry by buying the modern day glasses and not using hacks to utilize old technology. But still, I'm sure some people will be interested.
Not sure what you mean by hacks...Michael Starks/3DTV has been doing 3D for 30 years and started Stereographics/RealD.

I am offering information to those that need an IR emitter/glasses solution. Plus the XpanD x101/x103 and from the sounds of it 3DTV's latest glasses are top of the line. YMMV, but at least it is an option and one that no one else on the market is offering.

Knowledge is power ;-) :idea:
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

cybereality wrote:I think we should support the 3D industry by buying the modern day glasses and not using hacks to utilize old technology. But still, I'm sure some people will be interested.
More options the better to help stop all the new hype from ripping people off.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
mickeyjaw
Cross Eyed!

Post by mickeyjaw »

^ Well said okta, and I have a little to add to that:
cybereality wrote:I think we should support the 3D industry by buying the modern day glasses and not using hacks to utilize old technology.
Really, I expect much better from such an upstanding forum member as yourself. If I hadn't seen some of your more useful posts on here, I would accuse you of trolling with that post. As it is, I will assume you are just being ignorant.

Maybe you just have too much money, but not everyone likes to throw perfectly good technology in the bin just because someone in marketing thinks 'I know - let's screw the customer out of more $$$ by arbitarily deciding to make our new product incompatible with everything else on the market'. How much do you think it really costs to make a pair of shutter glasses anyway? Why do you think they made the IR protocol on the X101s encrypted? Should we really accept companies deliberately being obtuse in this way, driving up the cost with extra hardware and extra R&D cost just to make things harder & more expensive for the consumer?

If we allow ourselves to buy such a product, it allows the manufacturer to think that this sort of behavior is acceptable, leading to an even greater screwing over next time. Just look at how Sony poop all over their customers as a prime example, or even cast your mind back to when NVidia decided to screw everyone over with their 3D support. Leave the getting shafted to the idiots who know no better and just want to buy a shiny new TV so they can keep up with the Jonses. People who come on this forum with inquisitive minds looking to actually learn about S3D, and build a rig for themselves deserve much better...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You may be right, its just that there seems to trend to stick with old technology and not support new products. I have seen this many times here on this forum, with users insisting on sticking with CRTs and old computers just so they can use shutter glasses from 10 years ago. I think the people here should be the early adopters, the firsts ones to buy and test the new technology. Not the ones that will go through all sorts of hoops and spend more money just to hack together some device that lets them use decade old tech. If we won't even buy it how do we expect the public to buy in? Just my opinion.
mickeyjaw
Cross Eyed!

Post by mickeyjaw »

Fair point, but i'm not buying a new 3D screen or any new-fangled shutter glasses until they have an agreed (open) standard for syncing them. As far as I can tell right now, there are at least the following (mutually incompatible) IR codes:

Nvidia 3D vision
Xpand
Samsung?? (not sure if its the same as IOglasses)
IOglasses/ED/Elsa/Terminator/(crystaleyes?) etc
DLP Link
+Probably another from Sony (haven't heard word yet, but wouldn't expect any less from them)

Note how back in the day, all the wireless glasses used the IOglasses code and were compatible, but not anymore...

The support I will be giving, however, will be by buying 3D Blu-ray movies when they come out to show that we are happy to buy content, as it has always been the decent 3D content that has been lacking!
ronrak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ronrak »

I have a SAMSUNG HL67A750A1F DLP 3D ready TV that uses a Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 Adapter and GEFEN Detective for the 3D. It worked with the glasses that I had, but think the glasses might have been inadvertenttly thorown out in the trash. That is why I bought the SAMSUNG SSG-2100AB glasses . The 3DC-1000 user guide says the SAMSUNG SSG-2100AB Glasses will work, but they are not working. I have the IR Emitter that came with the 3DC Adapter and an XPAND 3DG-EX103 Adapter that I bought but do not get 3D on my TV with either emitter with the SAMSUNG SSG-2100AB Glasses. I do get the blurred 3D Pic on my screen though. Any ideas?

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”