mageknight apocalypse

iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

mageknight apocalypse

Post by iondrive »

hi all,

If you're interested in playing Mageknight Apocalypse in 3d with iZ3D drivers, you came to the right place. The thing is, so far I've only got it to work in anaglyph mode. More details are in the iZ3D tech support forum:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

!!! UPDATE : this game works in other output modes if you can get around the SafeDisc protection system. Beware of viruses if you look for a no-CD crack. However, I now believe that iZ3D monitor users probably don't need to do anything like that and the game probably works fine for them unaltered and the profile here is still useful for any output mode including shutterglass modes since it's such an old game.

Basically, you need to use a pre-1.10 driver or 1.11b1. So far, I've been told it's safe to uninstall your current one and install the older one without any licensing problems but I'll have to update this when I learn more about it. I've uninstalled/installed many times w/o any problems yet, but each new install starts a new trial period the first time that version is installed. I'll see if I run into any problems later.

These are my settings for Mageknight Apocalypse:

Code: Select all

<Profile Name="MageKnight">
        <File Name="MageKnight.exe" />
        <Presets>
            <Preset Index="0">
                <One_div_ZPS Value="0.004817" />
                <StereoBase Value="12.180237" />
                <AutoFocusEnable Value="0" />
            </Preset>
            <Preset Index="1">
                <One_div_ZPS Value="0.013887" />
                <StereoBase Value="3.432967" />
            </Preset>
            <Preset Index="2">
                <One_div_ZPS Value="0.004226" />
                <StereoBase Value="2.867303" />
            </Preset>
        </Presets>
        <ShowWizardAtStartup Value="0" />
        <SwapEyes Value="0" />
        <LaserSightEnable Value="0" />
    </Profile>

for info on how to use this (importing a profile) see:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Repeating some notes from there:
Preset 1 is for zoomed-out overhead-view (focused on character),
Preset 2 is for medium-zoom view and cutscenes
Preset 3 is for low-angle views when you need to target things in the distance. This preset has low separation and converges on the distance so that you can use the pointer easier since it's 2d.

More notes:
Settings were made using a 17 inch monitor so you may need to adjust things slightly if your setup is different. It's a DirectX 8 game so don't bother trying it with Tridef nor could I get it working with nvidia's old-school drivers.

Game description:
This is an older game halfway between the really old turn-based RPGs and the modern action-RPGs. It reminds me a little bit like Diablo but outdoor with much better zoom and camera rotation control although I've only played the tutorial so later levels could be indoors. It also reminded me a little of Starwars Knights of the Old Republic. There are plenty of statistics to base your judgements on and when in combat, you click on your enemy and your character attacks and sometimes when he attacks you and misses, you see the word "dodged" above your head. So that's what it's like. The zooming is overhead looking down but the camera angle lifts up as you zoom in so you can get a nice view into the distance with your character in the foreground. It's this range of zoom levels that make this a challenge to find good settings for since the autofocus doesn't work well here. Maybe someone else can figure out how to use it better.

The HUD:
The HUD is 2d but good. There's lots of useful stuff on it and you can toggle it on and off. It includes a little 2d map and there are no problems with any of that in 3d except that you want your 3d settings to work with it comfortably of course.

The mouse pointer:
This is also 2D which is why you need setting preset 3 since its focus is on things in the distance in order to make the mouse-clicking more visibly comfortable.

final thoughts:
This game really needs good auto-focus as well as an auto-ranging mouse pointer but it's still playable by using the presets the way I've described. It has no serious 3d problems. It looks like a good game if this is the kind of adventure-fantasy RPG game you like.

--- iondrive ---
Last edited by iondrive on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: mageknight apocalypse

Post by iondrive »

Update: GOT IT!!!

EDIT: game works better with iZ3D than old-shool nvidia since iZ3D has 3 hotkey presets and renders better too.

Used old-school nvidia drivers with my 7800GTX card. More info here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The secret ingredient is "StereoTextureEnable" in the game's 3d registry entry.
Now I know to try that on another DX8 game that gave me problems.

C'ya

--- iondrive ---

PS: forgot to mention that this game has good 3d landmark markers (like nav-points). Not 2d like in some other games.

More notes: camera control
Use WADS to run around and hold down the middle mouse button to actively control zoom and angle. It's a very nice system with a good feel to it.

Return to “iZ3D Legacy Drivers”