Samsung & new S-3D driver?

ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Samsung & new S-3D driver?

Post by ssiu »

A bit of speculation ...

Many of us may have heard of the current Samsung DLP projection HDTVs that support some 3D mode. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=36332 Apparently someone here even owns one http://mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=391

The 3D functionality is not available yet, and Samsung had not revealed a lot of technical info; just that they would be selling a "3d kit" with 2 wireless shutter glasses for about $100.

While this may be good for those going to spend the $$$$ for a big Samsung HDTV, (just like the IZ3D solution is good for those spending the $$$ for the IZ3D monitor), there are indications that the Samsung technology may be less proprietary. In fact it looks very similar to running a CRT at 120Hz in page-flipping mode. (Wishful thinking on my part?) http://www.3dmovielist.com/3dhdtvs.html It has a "sync port" that seems to be some standard "VESA-3 miniDIN-3 connector".

If you watch this video report http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6197253.html?tag=vid you can see some 3D video game action on the Samsung. More importantly, the guy said something about needing software package from Samsung that will cost about $50. My guess is that it is some sort of S-3D driver, and that it will work on both XP and Vista, both ATI and NVIDIA, etc. (just like the IZ3D driver).

My speculation is that this Samsung software can also be made to work on CRT monitors / shutter-glasses, perhaps with some minor hacking.

Wishful thinking?

Perhaps someone with some clout (i.e. Neil) can find out more info from Samsung.

P.S. The popular Stereoscopic Player software just came out with version 1.2 that supports the Samsung 3D DLP-HDTVs! http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/History_en.aspx So someone (the Stereoscopic Player author) knows in detail how it works.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

i watched the clip, and the clip ALONE tells me one thing... wich is kind a WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWWWW

if SAMSUNG (hey guys samsung is not like "terabit rewritable cd-s"... its SAMSUNG!) is doing something like that, then it means that the stereo thing is coming to its real start! that means that what has been done in the past and what we are doing here today is what the marketing wants and that guarantees a future, (and WHAT A FUTURE) to stereo gamers!

this is what this clip says to me.. :D

bye

sharky
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

one big a** monitor - priced at 2600$
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

I think I'm going to need a bigger desk...

Amazon has the 46" "lamp" style for around $950. It's not a bad price considering the it's twice the size of the IZD. I wonder what the real quality and clarity difference between the lamp and led style is besides the fact that one is 720p and the other is 1080p....

I'd really like to see these in action.
IZ3D~ My answer to S3D!
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

The screens looks good and the video promising. But I don't see the reason, why it shouldn't work like a CRT monitor (with shutterglasses).

I think the main difference between Lamp and LED is, that LED might need
much less Power and might live longer.

But we'll see what future brings to us.
It's great to see a big company like Samsung promoting S-3D :wink:
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the heads up on this. I left a message and sent an Email to Samsung (the interviewee in the video).

Looks like they have an exciting solution, and I'd like to learn more. I'll let you know if/when I hear anything.

Regards,
Neil 8)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

I just got off the phone with Samsung. I've been authorized to tell you that their drivers work on both NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards - sounds promising!

I'm afraid I can't say anything more for awhile longer.

Regards,
Neil 8)
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Hi Guys, I purchased the Samsung HLT6187 back in June. I have been holding off posting about it until I witnessed first hand the native 3d capabilities it offers. I have to say that I am VERY pleased with my purchase, even more so since I purchased the Stereoscopic Player from 3Dtv.at as they just added support for this display. Here are my INITIAL impressions:

1. 2D Display Quality
In a single word... "Outstanding" I have owned so many different display types from 22in LCD's, DLP Projectors, and high end CRT displays. This is the best so far! In combination with my 8800GTX, this display absolutely represents the best image quality I have ever seen. Very bright display with superb contrast ratio, Vibrant colors, and native 1080P resolution make it nearly unbeatable for the money. Crank up Far Cry, set resolution to native res, add in a healthy dose of AA and AF, and sit back in awe at the most georgious computer generated scenery you've ever laid eyes on.

2. 3D Display Quality
I have been holding back on posting my impressions due to the current and ongoing driver situation. Simply put, I haven't had any luck with my 8800 other than finding out the Nvidia Stereo Drivers combined with CTRL T = instant BSOD. Neil, it is great to hear Samsungs comments on 3D driver development. Feel free to pass my name on if they need a beta tester. :mrgreen: I was growing increasingly frustrated with this and was just about ready to toss my 7900GT back into my computer when I saw a ray of hope with the release of the previously mentioned Stereoscopic Player. Set up is really quite simple. Buy the player, select DLP 3D as the preferred output, plug in the IR Emitter to the 3D SYNC OUT connection on the back of the TV, Hit the activation button on the glasses and hit the 3D button on the remote. I downloaded some sample content from the 3Dtv.at site and was treated to the most beautiful stereo3d representation I have ever seen! Full color, full 1080p res (not interlaced but true 120hz imagery) and completely ghost free. I must have played those movies over and over for at least 90 minutes before taking a break, saying to myself "they have done it". Samsung has created a consumer level display that isn't any more expensive than the average HDTV, offers stellar image quality, and produces a stereoscopic image so perfect that you truly feel like you are part of the action onscreen. No lie! And I have used the Z800, DLP projectors, CRT monitors over the past several years and nothing prepared me for this. I finally feel that I have purchased the perfect stereo viewing appliance. Now if I could simply get my hands on functional game drivers that don't turn CTRL T into a power button... Well, time to go search for more downloadable content to play with. Cheers!
PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

Neil wrote:Hi Guys,

I just got off the phone with Samsung. I've been authorized to tell you that their drivers work on both NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards - sounds promising!

I'm afraid I can't say anything more for awhile longer.

Regards,
Neil 8)
Hey, no fair! Pointed you to something exciting and then you left us hanging :(

Good to hear that it works on both ATI and NVIDIA. I thought it would be safe to assume too that it will work on both Vista and XP (if IZ3D can do it, it can't be too difficult for big-pocket Samsung), but the fact that you didn't mention it is now giving me some concern.

My wild speculation is that the Samsung driver is the same page-flipping type as NVIDIA page-flipping driver on CRT monitors and 85Hz DLP projectors. (Unlike IZ3D driver which is totally different and proprietary.) So perhaps the Samsung driver will work with CRT monitors and DLP projectors too. Certainly many more people have (or can afford to get) a CRT monitor than an IZ3D monitor or Samsung DLP-HDTV. This will deliver us from the poor NVIDIA driver situation. Care to comment on that? Guess you won't ... :(
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

Hey PiXeL: What IR Emitter / shutter glasses are you using; I thought the Samsung 3D kit is not available for sale yet? Is this a confirmation that existing 3D LCD-shutter hardware works fine? That would be great.

Regarding 3D game drivers, are you aware that Samsung is developing and will sell the software for about $50? It's mentioned in the video I linked earlier http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6197253.html?tag=vid

As an actual customer, you have more clout to find out about the Samsung 3D hardware / software. You can email Samsung directly with questions like, when will they be available, does it work on both XP and Vista, how much performance impact (i.e. decrease in frame rate) in 3D mode, etc. and share the info with us!
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

I use the E Dimensional wireless glasses without issues. I will have to search for some Samsung contacts.

PiXeL
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”