Sony 3D Bravia and PS3 Launch Date Surprises!

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Sony 3D Bravia and PS3 Launch Date Surprises!

Post by Neil »

On condition of anonymity, a Sony representative explained that everything is on standby. Bravia 3D HDTVs, PS3 firmware updates, a complete line of S-3D video games – everything is ready to go!

Sony has been putting its traditional 2D HDTV units on clearance to make room for its stereoscopic 3D future, and these final product sales are all that stand in the way of their retail launch.

The good news is that the rumoured June release is somewhat restrained. If enough traditional 2D units can be sold off, we might see Bravia 3D displays on store shelves as early as April, 2010.

Isn’t it ironic that in Sony’s world, their 3D product releases are dependent on 2D customers? Media spin or sincere launch date excitement, Sony’s 3D future should unfold soon enough!

Share your thoughts.

Regards,
Neil
taz291819
Cross Eyed!

Re: Sony 3D Bravia and PS3 Launch Date Surprises!

Post by taz291819 »

I can understand holding back on the displays until current stock is sold off, but why not release the firmware update now?
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

taz291819 wrote:I can understand holding back on the displays until current stock is sold off, but why not release the firmware update now?
To enshure that customes will buy a sony 3D tv not fron an other company...
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

What "clearance" are they talking about? Only 9 top models from the top 3 premium series feature support for stereo 3D, out of total 38 models in a total of 12 series of new Bravia LCD TVs introduces at CES 2010 - the bulk of 29 models and 9 series are the same good old 2D sets. So I don't see how clearing out older 2D TVs in order to replace them with newer 2D TVs is somehow related to delays in introducing 3D firmware updates - especially when stereo 3D sets are priced in the $3000 range even for the lowest-end 40" model.

I'd think they rather wait for game publishers to release their stereo 3D titles and for film studios to author some 3D Blu-ray releases.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm only sharing what I was told.

We will have to wait and see.

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that logic doesn't make much sense to me either but June sounds good.
ChibiChaingun
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChibiChaingun »

Interesting news! Sony really seems to be the driver for 3D upon electronics companies. I just hope they don't screw everyone and require HDMI 1.4 for all forms of 3D. 1080p 3D fine, but let us have 720p 3D over HDMI 1.3! :)
DmitryKo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by DmitryKo »

ChibiChaingun wrote:let us have 720p 3D over HDMI 1.3
It doesn't look like Sony will support checkerboard in their SDK - see Sony Tells (Almost) All About PS3 Firmware Upgrade
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Not knowing anything in particular about this case, but -- as Neil's clout in S3D business grows (congrats :D ) he needs to watch out for other people "using" him for their own political / publicity purpose. "Be shrewd as a serpent, but innocent as a dove".
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

They were showing 3D game demos way back at GDC 2009 in March of 2009. They had Wipeout HD and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift running in 3D. Personally, I think they could have released a 3D firmware back then, and even supported checkerboard, and people could have been playing 3D games on the PS3 last year, but why would they release a firmware when they didn't have any 3D tv's ready to sell along with it?

This is a simple case of Sony being greedy, and not wanting to let anybody else enjoy this unless they buy their expensive 3D Bravias with hdmi 1.4 . Obviously, other manufacturers will have 3D displays available in Summer, Fall 2010 with hdmi 1.4, and you could use one of those just as well, but Sony is hoping that PS3 gamers will choose their option instead.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”