S3D on the wall - "just" 3D or you are IN!

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

S3D on the wall - "just" 3D or you are IN!

Post by relaxman »

Hi all!
Yesterday i connect my PC with Infocus X9 projector via 15pin hacked VGA cable, and used an
edimensional glass to see the big picture in 3D. Of course only at 60Hz, so flickering was visible,
especially at bright areas. But the effect was great, i think i buy a 120Hz projector soon :)

I write because i share my experience:
the picture is 2,2m wide.
when i was on my bed at 3,5m i can see the effect, things are inside and coming out a little from the screen.
But when i stand up and go closer to the screen about 2m, something happened.
I feel i'm really inside the virtual reality, and its much better experience, than "just" looking a 3D screen.
I think its because the entire screen is in my field of vision. i dont see anything from my room,
so i feel it more realistic. Screen width and viewing disctance was around equal.

its like the difference between the giant imax screen and the smaller reald screen.
in imax i often want to catch things with my hand, in reald rarely.
i read somewhere that 3d screen must be curved.
it is beacause of silver screens or because of better 3d experience?

thx for any infos
Relax
Gae43

Re: S3D on the wall - "just" 3D or you are IN!

Post by Gae43 »

Yesterday i connect my PC with Infocus X9 projector via 15pin hacked VGA cable, and used an
edimensional glass to see the big picture in 3D. Of course only at 60Hz, so flickering was visible,
especially at bright areas. But the effect was great, i think i buy a 120Hz projector soon
You should be able to get 85 Hz with this projector at a lower resolution. I have the Infocus X1 projector which is an older model and I'm getting 85 Hz at both Native 800x600 and 1024x768 resolutions. I don't see any flicker at all, even in bright scenes. This is with regards to 3D movies though.

Talking about the 3D effect, is it just me or does the combination of shutter glasses with DLP projector give a better 3D depth of field than polarised? I'm saying this because I see a much better depth to the image on my system than I see in the RealD cinema.

Gae43
mickeyjaw
Cross Eyed!

Post by mickeyjaw »

Yes listen to what the mans says - I didn't realise you were using a 720p projector. Quite a few of them (but not all) will happily work at 85hz if you drop the resolution down so you get 1024x768 or 800x600 4:3. The problem with DLP is not how fast the response is but the input bandwidth so you have to trade resolution for refresh rate if you want to lose the flicker.

As for curved screens, well they just help to fill your field of view and block the real world out. S3D looks more convincing if there are no other objects in your view to distract from the immerion. Use too curved a screen though and you will have to start worrying about the distortion it introduces.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Huge screens rule for immersion. When i get the space and time i am going to build a 'pod' using a vinyl shower curtain for a screen with rear projection that will slightly curve in at the sides for greater fov.

By the way, if you had a 2.2m image and you were only 2m away how did you not cast a shadow?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Gae43:
"You should be able to get 85 Hz"

Are you sure about this?
I read somewhere, that X9 maybe can accept 85Hz, but downconvert to 60.
So its useless.

"is it just me or does the combination of shutter glasses with DLP projector give a better 3D depth of field than polarised?"
I dont see any reason why a passive dual projector setup has less deep when correct materials are used (minimal ghosting)

I'm saying this because I see a much better depth to the image on my system than I see in the RealD cinema.

mickeyjaw:
yeah, at the edges also polarizations doesnt work as good as in the center.

Okta: i stand not in the center, but the picture fill my FOV.

------------------
\...................../
..\................./
....\............./
......\........./ X <- here was me
........\...../
..........\../
..........proj.
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

" if you had a 2.2m image and you were only 2m away how did you not cast a shadow?"

relaxman is so relaxed, he's transparent. :lol:
System specs:
CPU: 3.2GHz Athlon 64 X2 6400
RAM: 800MHz 4GB dual channel mode
Video: geForce 8800GTS PCI-e, 640MB ram, driver 196.21
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

:lol:
koshien

Post by koshien »

relaxman wrote: its like the difference between the giant imax screen and the smaller reald screen.
in imax i often want to catch things with my hand, in reald rarely.
i read somewhere that 3d screen must be curved.
it is beacause of silver screens or because of better 3d experience?
I would say it is not because of silver screens.
A movie theater owner explained me that "regular" 3D digital projectors (realD, Dolby, XpanD) are capable to do what IMAX can do.
But I felt exactly like you... the Dinosaur reaching for me in IMAX was simply amazing and I just never felt like that with regular 3D movies.
I can believe James Cameron doesn't want to reach that effect because of personal and artistic reasons...but I would have expected "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "My bloody Valentine" to be able to deliver the same wow factor as an Imax documentary. But I was rather wrong.
So he told me that it might be because of the position of the viewer.
Since IMAX theaters are all the same, and standardized all over the world, the director knows exactly what shape the room (in which people sit) will have, and so they can freely use 3D effects as they like.
Also, IMAX theaters have very "ripid seats" (i'll try to explain this better), meaning that all viewers are more or less at the same distance from the screen.
Directors of regular movies instead, have to adjust their 3D choices to a multitude of different rooms shapes and make sure it is comfortable for the front row and for the last row.
It seems all very reasonable to me.

Me sad because I won't be able to watch AVATAR in Imax... :cry:
Gae43

Post by Gae43 »

I can believe James Cameron doesn't want to reach that effect because of personal and artistic reasons...but I would have expected "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and "My bloody Valentine" to be able to deliver the same wow factor as an Imax documentary. But I was rather wrong.
So he told me that it might be because of the position of the viewer.
For a moment then, I thought you were on friendly terms with James Cameron. Then I realised that you were talking about the Movie Theatre owner...lol! :mrgreen:
koshien

Post by koshien »

Gae43 wrote: For a moment then, I thought you were on friendly terms with James Cameron. Then I realised that you were talking about the Movie Theatre owner...lol! :mrgreen:
lol! :mrgreen:

Return to “Do it Yourself!”