Activating NVIDIA SLI on all motherboards, detailed HOW-TO

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Activating NVIDIA SLI on all motherboards, detailed HOW-TO

Post by Okta »

Interesting hack for those without sli mobo's. http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/c ... content.30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Activating NVIDIA SLI on all motherboards, detailed HOW-TO

Post by cybereality »

No surprises there. Nvidia loves artificial limitations in order to promote their proprietary technology.

For example, in Windows7 you used to be able to use an ATI card for graphics and have a second Nvidia card to use solely for Physx. With the latest Nvidia driver they disable Physx acceleration if any ATI hardware is detected in your system.

And to add insult to injury, there is actually a hack to get Physx on ATI cards with the Batman:Arkham Asylum game:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the game can fallback onto CPU physics rendering and it looks almost as good as the Nvidia GPU Physx. But the developers deliberately disabled the built-in fallback. I guess thats not how it was Meant to be Played... lol.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

cybereality wrote:For example, in Windows7 you used to be able to use an ATI card for graphics and have a second Nvidia card to use solely for Physx. With the latest Nvidia driver they disable Physx acceleration if any ATI hardware is detected in your system.
This makes me sick to my stomach, keep letting me know about this stuff, I am going to bring all these concerns up at the next NVDA shareholders meeting, what they don't realize is that INTC is coming for them with a few others, and instead of fracturing the industry with these tricks because the think it will give them an edge, it may cost them and ATI both. Divided many great empires fell.

And to add insult to injury, there is actually a hack to get Physx on ATI cards with the Batman:Arkham Asylum game:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the game can fallback onto CPU physics rendering and it looks almost as good as the Nvidia GPU Physx. But the developers deliberately disabled the built-in fallback. I guess thats not how it was Meant to be Played... lol.
LOL!!!!
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

cybereality wrote:With the latest Nvidia driver they disable Physx acceleration if any ATI hardware is detected in your system.
That pisses me off, because my mobo has integrated ATI x1300.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

imagine if all hardware manufacturers were like that

intel disables all non-microsoft webcams
amd disables all nvidia cards drivers
ati doesn't accept samsung displays

down to usb pci-e boards only accepting an "accepted list" of devices

ahh that would be interesting and cause a lot of cursing

only SOLUTION

use linux

jokin jokin
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Okta

Post by Okta »

For example, in Windows7 you used to be able to use an ATI card for graphics and have a second Nvidia card to use solely for Physx. With the latest Nvidia driver they disable Physx acceleration if any ATI hardware is detected in your system.
Surely they would have their ass sued out with anti competitive laws for this? They would not have a leg to stand on.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

Great find, Okta!

That is what I call a scandal. I wonder if the sli-enabled motherboards do anything apart from brandishing the sli logo. If it's just a simple matter of checking a certificate and the chipset name the sli-ready logo might be there just for show. That could well mean that we were being tricked into buying sli-ready motherboards for nothing for the last few years :!:

Outrageous behaviour on nvidia's side. :x I wonder how many more client-crippling marketing moves they are going to make before they cross the line and get the well deserved kick out the door.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

You are correct, all you need to do to make a "real" SLI board is to pay some royalties. Other than that, there is no real difference.
Rosomack
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rosomack »

PalmerTech wrote:You are correct, all you need to do to make a "real" SLI board is to pay some royalties. Other than that, there is no real difference.
Nice. Bunch of con artists they are. They managed and still manage to trick the public into buying vaporware. I say that's the con of the decade!

Return to “General Discussion”