Help please

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Help please

Post by nebula2008 »

could you also tell me how to adjust all the settings such as convergence and depth to get the best effect. how i understand it is that you should adjust the convergence until the closest image on screen becomes 1 image and then set the depth to how much you like.

Thanks for any further help you can give me.

Edit: sorry didn't mean to start another thread i meant it for the thread with similar heading thanks

please merge it for me
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Help please

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/newslette ... ews_id=44/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

sorry i dont understand what thats trying to say could someone simplify it for me

Thanks
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Convergence: Adjusting converegnce gives the impression of pushing or pulling the scene closer or further away from you.
Separation: Adjusting separation adjusts the amount of stereoeffect.

Bad combinations of separation and convergence may cause eyestrain. "Listen" to your eyes when adjusting to find a sweet and comfortable spot. It's not too tricky but it takes some time to get the feeling for it.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Think of the convergence point as what your eyes are focusing on :P So it doesn't have to be the Closest object, but the focal point.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Like Welder said, convergence controls the angle at which the cameras (aka eyes) "converge" or focus on one particular point. The separation controls the scale of the scene. Its unfortunate that Nvidia calls this "depth" because its not. The depth is created by the nature of having two viewpoints. Separation should ideally be kept at a constant distance based on the games units to something that would be about the average interocular distance (6.5 cm in game units). Making this value higher will produce a "hyper-stereo" effect similar to looking at a scale model of a scene. The stereo effect itself is not necessarily increasing. In many cases less is actually more and you will achieve greater "depth" from more conservative settings. Of course, everyone's eyes are different so you will have to adjust to your level of comfort.

To answer your question, its best to set the separation to maybe like 3 bars (around 5-10 pixels apart), and then adjust the convergence so you are focused on something in the foreground (like the gun in a FPS or your avatar in a 3rd person game). This will produce a nice stereo effect with little ghosting or eye-strain issues. Depending on the title you may want to move up from there, but that should get you started.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

Thanks for all your advice i am not sure whether my setup is wrong but i dont think i am actually seeing any 3d.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Are your eyes reversed (I'm serious, sometimes you need to reverse the images).

Did you follow the guide listed above? You should be able to tell if your settings are correct with your naked eye.

Regards,
Neil
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

how do you reverse the images im sure the settings are fine i am using tomb raider underworld to test the 3d.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

CTRL + F8 if I remember correctly.

And to check the 3D's working put your finger in front of the screen and close one eye, then the other. If its working you'll see two different views. Increase you seperation if you don't notice the 3D until you do?
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

ok ctrl f8 does nothing but i see to different images with each eye and they combine to make one with both eyes open but the game looks pretty much the same as with stereo turned off apart from a slightly different perspective.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

is it possible for someone to tweak the settings for this game for me and send me the settings so i can see if i see any difference

thanks
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

also how far do i have to sit from the monitor
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

edit: sorry wrong topic
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Are you certain you can see in 3D? I think something like 5% of people can't see in 3D, so its worth checking.

Do this test to see if you have proper stereoscopic vision:
http://www.vision3d.com/frame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

OK I took the test I can see one thumb and two eyes but I cant see the two thumbs and one eye do you think this is the problem and can I get the problem sorted
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

nebula2008 wrote:OK I took the test I can see one thumb and two eyes but I cant see the two thumbs and one eye do you think this is the problem and can I get the problem sorted
Hmm, strange. I don't know what to tell you. Try looking at this image (cross-eyed) and tell me if you can see 3D:
3727995585_40648e0a42_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

i cant do cross eye but when i tried opening it with a stereo photo viewer everything just appears double although when gaming i can see the two images as one but doesn't look any different.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

A friend of mine has a simular problem.

His eyes doesn't get "alinged" you may get a game that works perfect in 3d (Oblivion, WoW, or other) adjust the convegence as you did bevore. The turn down Seperation to 0%. Raise it slowly until you see dubled pictures, lower it until they merge again. Now Play some time. After a while you can raise the sepetration a litle bit (just about 5% or even less). Now play on and a while later raise the seperation again. Repeat thia as long you're feeling comfortabel. So you can "train" your eyes to the 3D effect.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

thanks for the tip did that work for your friend :-)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wait, what 3D solution are you using?
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

nebula2008 wrote:thanks for the tip did that work for your friend :-)

Yes but he doesn't come regulary to me, so we have to repeat it in a shorted way (Without the breakes, just slowly incrasing seperation)
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

i am using the Zalman Trimon 22" solution to get 3D
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

nebula2008 wrote:i am using the Zalman Trimon 22" solution to get 3D

Have you tryed different viewing angels? the "sweet zone" is very narrow.

Try different heights of your seat or angels of the monitor (you can tilt it some degrees with the stand).

but beware the "sweet zone" is very narrow so you should only change a few degres an ten heck again.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

ok thanks for the tip and i am beginning to see the 3D effect and i must say its awesome is it best to adjust settings with glasses on or off

Thanks for the help you have given guys this is a great forum :-)
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

also would it be better if i upgraded my zalman trimon to an iz3d
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

nebula2008 wrote:also would it be better if i upgraded my zalman trimon to an iz3d
I am not sure if that would even be an upgrade, quite honestly.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

Post by funkee »

Neil wrote:Are your eyes reversed (I'm serious, sometimes you need to reverse the images).

Did you follow the guide listed above? You should be able to tell if your settings are correct with your naked eye.

Regards,
Neil
I doubt his eyes are reversed. He would look silly.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

lol is it best to adjust the settings with the glasses on or off.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

nebula2008 wrote:lol is it best to adjust the settings with the glasses on or off.
With the glasses on or you won't know what you are looking at. Sometimes you might want to take them off for a second just to make sure you aren't going too high with the settings. The double-image should only be like 10-20 pixels apart from each other or less.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

ok thanks
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

ok mine seems to be further than 10 - 20 pixels apart could you tell me how to take a 3d screenshot so you could check this for me

Edit: ok done it please check it for me

http://rapidshare.com/files/283009349/ ... urn false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Are you sure you took the screenshot correctly? I believe the hotkey is ALT-F1. That file you linked is only 13k and doesn't open with any program.

Try taking another screenshot and verifying with the Nvidia 3D Vision photo viewer before you post.
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

the link works but you have to download it through your webbrowser as you need to click the free button to download it thanks

please have a look and tell me

thanks
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I just took a look at that screenshot. It looks ok to me, should I be looking for anything in particular?
nebula2008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nebula2008 »

do u see the 3d effect well or could it be improved.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

nebula2008 wrote:do u see the 3d effect well or could it be improved.
Hard to tell with such a dark image. I mean, the 3d effect could have been better, yes, but it looked ok to me.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”