X-Games 3D

Talk about the latest 3D movies in the theater and at home!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

X-Games 3D

Post by cybereality »

So I went to see X-Games 3D last night right after I saw the Avatar preview. It was opening night and I caught a 10PM showing. Amazingly me and my best friend were the only 2 people in the theater, it was like a ghost town. I didn't think it was going to be sold out, but I figured there would at least be a few action-sport fans going to the movie. No worries though, we got the best seats in the house. There were a few movie trailers I had seen before (x-mas carol, alice in wonderland) and also a really cool trailer for Avatar.

The X-Games 3D movie basically had a bunch of different footage from various sports shot in a quasi-documentary style. The majority of the movie was dedicated to dirt biking and skateboarding but they also had snowboarding and some rally racing. I was especially excited about the skateboarding since I used to skate. There were also interview segments between the action shots. There were some really amazing tricks and some horrible spills. All in all about a 2 hour movie and pretty entertaining.

First off, not all the movie was in 3D. They claim 90% of it was 3D, but it felt more like 80%. They didn't attempt any conversion (AFAIK) so it would just cut back and forth between shots. This is somewhat to be expected since they would show 2 or 3 views of the same trick and its doubtful they would have that many stereo cameras set up. Also some of the backstage footage was clearly in 2D SD and it was particularly jarring when they made the cut. Still, it made you realize how good the 3D looked in comparison.

Overall a decent film with some nice 3D shots. I guess it doesn't have mass appeal (maybe thats why its only in theaters for a week) but still worth seeing for fans of extreme sports or just stereo 3d fans in general. Nothing groundbreaking, but it is yet another entry into 3D and one more step toward 3D finally going mainstream.
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Re: X-Games 3D

Post by martinlandau »

cybereality wrote:So I went to see X-Games 3D last night right after I saw the Avatar preview. It was opening night and I caught a 10PM showing. Amazingly me and my best friend were the only 2 people in the theater,
That is how I felt at journey to the center and nightmare before xmas, no one else was in there, it was spooky! In fact, in my area, most places I go to now feel like a ghost town, the mall, the eating establishments, many retail centers, many housing developments, where are all the people gone? Is like I am living as Charlton heston in Omega Man!
I was especially excited about the skateboarding since I used to skate.
Wow, when I was very young I used to do a lot too. Now the young kids in my city that do it a lot try to sell me lots of drugs and make me mad! The local skate park is just a bunch of deadbeat pillheads :( I remember watching a special on the skating lords of dogtown - one of them got tony hawk started - but one of them became an evil drug pusher and they had to interview him in jail - what a travesty!

Thanks for teh review Cyber, I may check it out if I get some time.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “3D Movies (Blu-Ray and Theater)”