Playing anaglyph stereo on 3D screens?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
hansschmucker
One Eyed Hopeful

Playing anaglyph stereo on 3D screens?

Post by hansschmucker »

I know I can't expect miracles, but I'd settle for it for now. (I'd also would have loved to search for it, but all related keywords I could think of were flagged as too common)

Like it or not, the majority of 3D content currently available to consumers in in anaglyph format.

Of course, there's a huge amount of information that's simply lost when that happens, but is there any good player software you can recommend that would at least produce watchable results.

Basically what I'd expect is something like this (I know more sophisticated algorithms could search the picture for matches, but that would be hard to pull off in realtime, which is what I'm looking for):
1. Input: Anaglyph || Anaglyph + Full Color L/R channel || Anaglyph + Full Color Center channel
2. Split Anaglyph into 2 images with limited color information.
3a. If a full color center image is provided, blur it and use as color for both images
3b. If a full color single channel is provided, replace duplicate channel with it. Blur and use as color for other channel.
3c. If no full color image is provided, use heavily blurred version as color.

Is there a good player around for this purpose?
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Playing anaglyph stereo on 3D screens?

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Don't know if it will help you but you could read this:

http://axon.physik.uni-bremen.de/resear ... _anaglyph/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
3dingames
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dingames »

Hi hansschmucker,

try the solution of Peter Wimmer: DeAnaglyph

http://www.3dtv.at/Knowhow/DeAnaglyph_en.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marco Neiva
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

hansschmucker wrote: Like it or not, the majority of 3D content currently available to consumers in in anaglyph format.
false. 3d games can be used with any 3d medium, while 3d movies are available at http://www.underground3dmovies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and also youtube recently added tags that allow you to change 3d modes in real time
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
hansschmucker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hansschmucker »

yuriythebest wrote:
hansschmucker wrote: Like it or not, the majority of 3D content currently available to consumers in in anaglyph format.
false. 3d games can be used with any 3d medium, while 3d movies are available at http://www.underground3dmovies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and also youtube recently added tags that allow you to change 3d modes in real time
I said "majority", not "all".
Anyway, thank you for the link... although the selection is rather limited (and SD only) I'm still very much interested in Coraline.

WheatstoneHolmes, 3dingames: these even go way beyond my expectations, I just wished there was a more intuitive way to use the technology than converting the whole movie into a series of bitmaps, then processing them and finally reassembling them. Do the developers visit this forum?
hansschmucker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hansschmucker »

Just as an example: This is one frame from Coraline, where I simply used the 2D version for one channel and the green channel from the anaglyph version colorized with the heavily blurred 2D frame for the other. Very simple stuff that produces well... watchable results and could easily done in realtime by somebody more familiar with DirectShow :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hansschmucker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hansschmucker »

In the meantime, I've converted Coraline using the simple split anaglyph R/G --> apply blurred color from monoscopic idea. The result (as expected) doesn't reach the quality of a real stereoscopic version, since the color is blurred and areas that are pure green/red get different luminance in both views, however I think that it's good enough to watch. And heck, I'd pay for a player that would automatically perform these actions instead of having to do it manually through blender (best free compositing application I know).

I've uploaded the intro from Coraline (which is basically identical to the teaser), so you can have a look yourself (the file contains two separate AVI files for each eye, encoded in h264 without sound):

Password is "mtbs" without quotes.
http://www.tapper-ware.net/files/corali ... sample.rar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

Hansschmucker,
I use Stereo Movie Maker to rip the 3D side of the anaglyph. In the case of Coraline, it comes out b&w but when interlaced with the 2D side it "magically" picks up the colour. You can then further open both sides and use "autocolour adjustment" to get the colour reproduction even better (almost matching it). The problem is that its a V.SLOW process depending on the movie. I'm finding with Coraline that you get a few seconds that match and then suddenly each scene is a different alignment (between 2D and 3D ripped side) so you have to go through each scene individually and match them up. So far I've done about 20 mins and converted to interlaced in this instance....I think I may just watch the anaglyph version of this one as it's taking so long to convert. :(

Gae43
hansschmucker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hansschmucker »

Thank you very much for the pointer, Gae.

I'm surprised that it takes so long for a dedicated program... but I'll hold off my judgment until I've tried the program and have seen what it actually does during that time.

As for Coraline: The monoscopic release switches between the left/right channel constantly, that's why I used both anaglyph channels instead of using the monoscopic channel for one. Closeups are also sometimes shot separately for the monoscopic version. In these cases I've replaced the color with a heavily blurred version of the anaglyph picture... of course that's something a program can't do automatically (at least not as easily), but I don't think that's a very common problem with anaglyph movies, more of a testament how much work they put into the different versions of Coraline.
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”