Higher res VR headsets

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
nimotei
One Eyed Hopeful

Higher res VR headsets

Post by nimotei »

Just thought I'd put this in, Kopin corporation have finally made 1280x1024 mini screens for headsets.

Does this mean anyone will start buying VR headsets for stereo gaming, instead of shutter/polarising glasses?

I might. :shutter :woot

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Higher res VR headsets

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, they've had those for a while. At least a couple of years if I remember correct. They haven't seemed to make it into any consumer-level headsets yet. Maybe they will, I'm not holding my breath.

If some company wants to bring out an HD (720P+) headset with a good 60 degrees FOV and accurate headtracking then I that might be something. Otherwise it looks like getting a 3D projector is a much better proposition.
nimotei
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nimotei »

I don't think they have been around for years, as the press release was dated June 2009 - so only last month.
Maybe another company makes screens that small, but I doubt it as Kopin holds the patents.
Anyway I emailed Vizux the 3D headset manufacturers and they said the screens are really expensive. So probably won't be in VR headsets for another few years.

My sources; http://www.kopin.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kopin Announces New Breakthrough in Shrinking Display Size
High-Density Displays and Patents Strategically Position Kopin in High-Resolution Electronic Viewfinders for Camera Systems

TAUNTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun. 11, 2009-- Kopin Corporation (NASDAQ: KOPN), the leader in microdisplays for consumer and military applications, today announced a breakthrough in further shrinking the size of its color displays. By shrinking the color dots to a mere 2.9 x 8.7 µm from the previously announced 3.75 x 11.25 µm, Kopin has achieved a full-color VGA display (600 x 480 resolution) in a 0.27” diagonal size, which is by far the smallest VGA color-filter liquid crystal display (LCD) in the world.

“Our new VGA display with the smallest color dot in the industry is a major milestone for Kopin’s technology roadmap to provide more compact, higher resolution and lower power consumption displays,” said Dr. Boryeu Tsaur, Kopin’s Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Display Business Unit. “This exciting achievement is enabled by our innovative process improvements and unique pixel design, and results in an additional 40% reduction in display size.”

“This small color dot size is an important achievement in our previously announced goal to create a 2048 x 2048-resolution display in a size smaller than a typical postage stamp,” said Dr. John C.C. Fan, Kopin’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “Using the same color dot size, we can create SVGA (800 x 600) displays in a 0.34” diagonal size, XGA (1024 x 768) displays in a 0.44” diagonal and SXGA (1280 x 1024) displays in a 0.56” diagonal size. These ultra-compact displays should be ideal for high-end digital still cameras requiring high-resolution electronic viewfinders.”

Kopin has two issued U.S. patents (#6,421,031 and 6,683,584) on the use of an LCD with a magnifying lens on a camera system. These patents include claims that are related to a camera having an active matrix LCD with red, green and blue light emitting elements, or viewing an image in a camera with an LCD having resolution equal to or higher than VGA. These patents together with Kopin’s new compact, energy-efficient displays will strategically position Kopin in the emerging digital single-lens-reflex (DSLR) cameras with high-resolution electronic viewfinders.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

You should read the "Is the S3D HMD market dead?" thread.

As for Kopin, they are no hope for a high resolution HMD, they charge way to much. As detailed in the above mentioned thread.

The futurue for High Res HMD's will become afforable if and only if Mobile Phone Projecters become populare.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

nimotei wrote:I don't think they have been around for years, as the press release was dated June 2009 - so only last month.
Here is a press release from way back in 2005:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht ... &id=689647&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They've had SXGA for many years. What is new is that the size has shrunk slightly (and I'm sure the price has grown).

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”