ATI 3D support

Talk about AMD/ATI GPUs and driver performance here.

Do you use an ATI card for S3D gaming?

No, I enjoy the NVIDIA page flipping driver.
77%
Yes, the ED interlaced wrapper is just grand.
23%

Total votes: 13

ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

ATI 3D support

Post by ohgrant »

Hi all, I've been pretty busy lately and hadn't had a chance to stop by for a while. I was a little surprised to find an ATI section here at MTBS. I had an ATI card when I got my first pair of shutter glasses and I used the ED wrapper for about a year in hopes that ATI would come to their senses and give driver support. Several folks from Rage 3D even tried a petition to get
ATI to support a page flipping 3D driver and their answer was pretty much summed up as 3D is unimportant because only a hand full of people use 3D. I decided from that day on that I will not own an ATI graphics card until a 3D driver is up and running. IMO a 3D card that can not be used with S3D, is not fully functional. It's probably no news to any regular user of MTBS that ATI is not currently a friend of S3D users.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

I'm currently using the Nvidia stereo driver, but I'd like to use the ED one on an ATI card, too. Unfortunatly, I'm not able to get it to work with an x800GTO and a Razor revelator. The immage gets renderd ok, but the Glasses don't do anything.
Do I need ED-Glasses to use their driver, or should it run as well with other glasses?
Which ones did you use on ATI cards?

Luke
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Xerion
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Xerion »

Stereo is only my most recent reason to go for nvidia cards and not ATI. ATI at least used to suck at opengl, and their linux drivers are really suppar. Also when I had a radeon 9800pro after my geforce ti4200 died, I had tearing problems in UT, vsync didn't help and didn't work correctly (it seemed to give a more or less constant framerate, but it was less than my refresh rate, real strange)
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
ohgrant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ohgrant »

I'm currently using the Nvidia stereo driver, but I'd like to use the ED one on an ATI card, too. Unfortunatly, I'm not able to get it to work with an x800GTO and a Razor revelator. The immage gets renderd ok, but the Glasses don't do anything.
Do I need ED-Glasses to use their driver, or should it run as well with other glasses?
Which ones did you use on ATI cards?
Luke
The Ed driver works on all the shutter glasses I have ever tested. I haven't used them in a few years but I think they are still running interlaced, which means you will need to reduce your monitor to 800x600@ 60hrz. I had to install a program called powerstrip to get the monitor and glasses to play nice together. Take it from someone who had used both the NVIDIA driver and the ED wrapper, the page flipping driver is light years ahead of the ED wrapper. If you are familiar with the NVIDIA driver, you are going to be disappointed when you do get it working.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Thanks for the info. So I won't need different glasses, just different resolution and refresh rate... and maybe this 'powerstrip'. I'll try that out later.
I'm just curious, if they are able to work and about the difference :wink:.
Afterwards I might be disappointed of the ATI thing and stick to Nvidia even stronger :twisted:

Luke
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!

Return to “General AMD/ATI Discussion”