NVIDIA new cheap Dolby-style glasses for S3D?

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
gavi
One Eyed Hopeful

NVIDIA new cheap Dolby-style glasses for S3D?

Post by gavi »

Do you have updated news on the news below?

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/989/989121p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe we should wait and instead of purchasing purchase the active glasses?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: NVIDIA new cheap Dolby-style glasses for S3D?

Post by cybereality »

What they are referring to is standard anaglyph glasses. Nvidia will be bundling these glasses (paper red/blue glasses) with all their new video cards for free. No need to wait, you can get started now for under $10. Go here and check the red/cyan glasses (I recommend the proview):

http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those glasses will work the nvidia stereo3d driver (under Vista) or the iz3d driver on XP/Vista. Don't let that stop you from getting a better solution, I'm just saying that those "new" Nvidia glasses are just the old-school red/blue paper glasses we've had for years.
Rollo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rollo »

The Discover glasses are not standard anaglyph 3d glasses. The lenses and drivers are tuned to give a better color experience than the red/blue normal anaglyphs.

They're not as good as 3d Vision, but they're not a s bad as anaglyph. They're meant to give users a taste of what 3d Vision is like, so they can decide if they want to spend the money on 3d Vision without having to guess what it's like.
:shutter
NVIDIA Focus Group Member
nZone Moderator

3d Vision User since 12/24/2008- the only thing in gaming that matters!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Rollo wrote:The Discover glasses are not standard anaglyph 3d glasses. The lenses and drivers are tuned to give a better color experience than the red/blue normal anaglyphs.
If its using redish and blueish cellophane then that sounds like anaglyph to me. We will see though.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Rollo wrote:The Discover glasses are not standard anaglyph 3d glasses. The lenses and drivers are tuned to give a better color experience than the red/blue normal anaglyphs.

They're not as good as 3d Vision, but they're not a s bad as anaglyph. They're meant to give users a taste of what 3d Vision is like, so they can decide if they want to spend the money on 3d Vision without having to guess what it's like.
all the news I read thus far suggests that it's indeed anaglyph.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Rollo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rollo »

cybereality wrote:
If its using redish and blueish cellophane then that sounds like anaglyph to me. We will see though.
They are anaglyph, but they're improved anaglyph.

In any case, this is NOT meant to be a substitute for 3D Vision. It's only meant to give users an approximation of what gaming in 3d is like, and make them want to see it in much better fashion with the shutter glasses.
NVIDIA Focus Group Member
nZone Moderator

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Rollo wrote:
cybereality wrote:
They are anaglyph, but they're improved anaglyph.
ahh, so "optimized anaglyph" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Neil

Post by Neil »

The Discover glasses are not standard anaglyph 3d glasses. The lenses and drivers are tuned to give a better color experience than the red/blue normal anaglyphs.

Hi Rollo,

I'm flattered that NVIDIA is posting here directly, which demonstrates we are doing something right. However, I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting promotional threads here for now. I know you were just answering a question, but your forum signature demonstrates a direct business interest in this.

If NVIDIA's S-3D team is interested, I'm sure we can figure out a way for NVIDIA to help sponsor MTBS, and we can have NVIDIA reps post in these forums in a more official manner. I know MTBS and its membership would very much like that. There is a lot that would be accomplished given the opportunity, and I'm sure involvement would be very reasonable considering the other venues NVIDIA participates with.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Neil

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”