Testing 3D with CS 1.6 second thread

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Testing 3D with CS 1.6 second thread

Post by juGGaKNot »

Settings :

mirv_movie_stereomode 1
mirv_movie_stereo_yawdegrees 0 ( the cameras are now parallel )
mirv_movie_stereo_centerdist 4 ( 4 inches )
mirv_cameraofs_cs 4 0 0 ( this makes the lefteye stream the same as a normal 2d stream so you can render 2d and 3d versions of the same movie )

Resolution : 960x540, final render 1920x540
FPS : 200 FPS capture, 40 FPS render so 5 frames blend to make a final frame in vegas.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xz114inngtk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Question : is it 3D or have i failed ?
Question : is 4 inches too much ?

THNX

Cheers.
phil
Cross Eyed!

Re: Testing 3D with CS 1.6 second thread

Post by phil »

Hi juGGaKNot,
Have you remembered to move the the two streams apart horizontally there?

As well as shifting the two camera positions, you also need to shift the two resulting images so that the most distant objects (eg. sky) are spaced apart, on the physical screen, by anything up to 7cm depending on how much depth you want.
So if this was to be displayed on a 70cm-wide screen, you might want to shift the left stream leftwards by up to 5% of a frame width, and the right stream rightwards by the same amount. That way, when the viewer is looking at your sky, their eyes will be parallel like they would be when looking at a real sky (that's not always recommended btw, depends on the viewing distance for the screen).

I'm no expert, but I think four inches might be too much camera separation for this scene given that the gun is so close - I think it will be uncomfortable. Why not use something closer to a real-life interpupillary distance (6-7 cm)?

Let me know if any of that's unclear or if I'm talking nonsense :wink:
phil
Cross Eyed!

Post by phil »

Also, the writing on the wall is deeper than the wall itself - do you know why that would be?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

You need to render larger than the final resulting video. Then you crop the two videos. You goal is to have everything render in the screen without pop-out.

You look at the closest object. In this video, it is the gun. If the same part of the gun is at the same pixel in both eyes, it is at screen depth. If the same part of the gun is more to the left in the left eye and more to the right in the right eye, that part of the gun will be inside the screen.

In your current video, the gun is to the right in the left eye and to the left in the right eye. That causes the gun to pop-out and it causes problem because it touches the bottom of the screen (destroying the 3D illusion) and because the separation is too much (the brain can't combine the two views when it is so much outside the screen).

The maximum separation that can be tolerating when watching a video depends on the size of the video on screen. If I watch a video in full screen, the maximum separation on screen will be bigger than when I watch the video windowed. The separation is also too high. If I move the left and right views to put the gun inside the screen, objects far away are too far apart on screen to watch the video in fullscreen.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

Has the forum database been corrupted? (I ignored this thread at first thinking it was a very old post being draged back to life)

I don't get why you're even doing this? Just for fun? If its anything practicle just install iz3D and use that to render the 3D. (Threads on here about ripping the video)

If this was CSS then maybe I'd watch it, but frankly CS 1.6 sucks, the physics are utterly awful and the game is unrealistic, not to mention the beyond-outdated graphics.

Also the Source Engine was built with! S3D, CSS is brilliant to play in S3D. (The Source Engine's Mouse Cursor has allways rendered with Depth - No Driver Laser Sight needed, since day one! I think its pretty clear Valve have been using S3D for years!)
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

He's using some commands in the engine to render the videos at full game resolution at full fps. That's why he does not use any S3D driver.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

Tril wrote:He's using some commands in the engine to render the videos at full game resolution at full fps. That's why he does not use any S3D driver.
Yes, cheaper and better resolution i guess ( 2560x1080 is the goal )
UndeadD3vi1 wrote:Has the forum database been corrupted? (I ignored this thread at first thinking it was a very old post being draged back to life)

I don't get why you're even doing this? Just for fun? If its anything practicle just install iz3D and use that to render the 3D. (Threads on here about ripping the video)

If this was CSS then maybe I'd watch it, but frankly CS 1.6 sucks, the physics are utterly awful and the game is unrealistic, not to mention the beyond-outdated graphics.

Also the Source Engine was built with! S3D, CSS is brilliant to play in S3D. (The Source Engine's Mouse Cursor has allways rendered with Depth - No Driver Laser Sight needed, since day one! I think its pretty clear Valve have been using S3D for years!)
Good to hear, my movie will have source in it too, rl footage + cs 1.5 + cs 1.6 + source + 3d stuff.
Tril wrote:You need to render larger than the final resulting video. Then you crop the two videos. You goal is to have everything render in the screen without pop-out.

You look at the closest object. In this video, it is the gun. If the same part of the gun is at the same pixel in both eyes, it is at screen depth. If the same part of the gun is more to the left in the left eye and more to the right in the right eye, that part of the gun will be inside the screen.

In your current video, the gun is to the right in the left eye and to the left in the right eye. That causes the gun to pop-out and it causes problem because it touches the bottom of the screen (destroying the 3D illusion) and because the separation is too much (the brain can't combine the two views when it is so much outside the screen).

The maximum separation that can be tolerating when watching a video depends on the size of the video on screen. If I watch a video in full screen, the maximum separation on screen will be bigger than when I watch the video windowed. The separation is also too high. If I move the left and right views to put the gun inside the screen, objects far away are too far apart on screen to watch the video in fullscreen.
phil wrote:Also, the writing on the wall is deeper than the wall itself - do you know why that would be?
I see, thnx for the input, the video was made fast, some syncing problems + a lot of 3Dmax problems ( the text )

I guess i can stop posting clips until i get a 3D screen or glasses to see for myself.
phil wrote:Hi juGGaKNot,
Have you remembered to move the the two streams apart horizontally there?

As well as shifting the two camera positions, you also need to shift the two resulting images so that the most distant objects (eg. sky) are spaced apart, on the physical screen, by anything up to 7cm depending on how much depth you want.
So if this was to be displayed on a 70cm-wide screen, you might want to shift the left stream leftwards by up to 5% of a frame width, and the right stream rightwards by the same amount. That way, when the viewer is looking at your sky, their eyes will be parallel like they would be when looking at a real sky (that's not always recommended btw, depends on the viewing distance for the screen).

I'm no expert, but I think four inches might be too much camera separation for this scene given that the gun is so close - I think it will be uncomfortable. Why not use something closer to a real-life interpupillary distance (6-7 cm)?

Let me know if any of that's unclear or if I'm talking nonsense :wink:
Yes, the 2 streams were parallel here, offset was 4 inches, the main goal here was to have the lefteye stream identical to a normal stream, if i can pull this off ( only righteye to be moved ) i can easily render a 2d version using only the lefteye + a 3D version using the left and right

Will see if this is k in the long run, if not i will use normal stereo mode ( both cams are moved )

I will use 6 cm when i find out how many inches is that ( why can't we all use cm :) )

THNX to all for posting, i will take a deeper look at the NLE part of editing and the resolution.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

juGGaKNot wrote:[I guess i can stop posting clips until i get a 3D screen or glasses to see for myself.
Have you not got any Red/Cyan Glasses?

Do you mind if I ask what your creating? Mixing real life with CSS sounds intresting.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

juGGaKNot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by juGGaKNot »

UndeadD3vi1 wrote:
juGGaKNot wrote:[I guess i can stop posting clips until i get a 3D screen or glasses to see for myself.
Have you not got any Red/Cyan Glasses?

Do you mind if I ask what your creating? Mixing real life with CSS sounds intresting.
No, not even cheap ones, i will check out a DIY guide this week or something ( i have blackshark's tutorial on 3D stereo in vegas so all i really need is glasses )

My "dream" is to make the movie in 2 years, now i'm building my house ( Link ) and i've spent 30K so far on it so money is not that easy to get for such "stupid" things, the plan is to have a party at my house when its done and show the movie.

But anyway here goes : original film would have been 2560x1080 at 60 FPS ( recording at 2000-4000 SPS ) with heavy composition ( most if not all RL cams shot with green screen ) mixed with cs 1.5/1.6/source frags by me ( cs has a demo record feature so no need to record while playing ) + 3D footage, all of this mixed nicely ( see Single Gaming 3 STREAM 0.58 to 1.10 sec to see basic stuff that can be done )

Work so far on the movie : Link
1585 Sorted Demos, ( 835 Good Demos ) @Work So Far 195 Hours.
Now i'm thinking of the same thing more or less ( just maybe 3D stereo on a big 3D screen )

Concept wise its going to be me and my friends playing cs 1.6/source, ~40 minuts cs, 20 3D, 40 RL footage, all the songs will be from my friends bands. I want to start recording this year so i will get at least 3d glasses to make sure all is k.
phil wrote:Hi juGGaKNot,
Can't i just shift the right cam 2.6 inches to the right ? must i shift both cams 1.3 inches ( left 1.3, right 1.3 ) ?

Shifting only the right cam will allow me to render a 2D version of the movie also using the left cam ....

The skybox in cs 1.6 might not be in stereo, i just noticed it, if it is true i will use skys rendered in 3dmax ( using the cammotion export )

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”