3 new 3D techologies from Toshiba

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
funkee
Cross Eyed!

3 new 3D techologies from Toshiba

Post by funkee »

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewContent. ... 6696&EDATE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting things to do with OCB LCD panels. Finally some good use for the inherent speed of these displays.

3D Technology

In the 3D section, TAEC will demonstrate three separate 3D technologies. The first approach, Time Sequential Twin-Eye, will be shown on a 3D-OCB display utilizing a newly-developed backlight system incorporating a bi-directional lens sheet, and by synchronizing LED switching with left- and right-eye images to achieve stereoscopic (twin-eye 3D) viewing without special glasses while maintaining a fast response time, and a wide viewing angle. This approach is 2D/3D switchable, and enables a thin, easy to assemble LCD panel with full resolution, and will be demonstrated on a 3.0-inch Wide QVGA (400 x 240) module. The second approach, Integral Imaging 3D, uses a lenticular sheet to enable "Multi-view" natural viewing without 3D glasses, so the same image can be seen from multiple viewing points. Integral imaging will be shown in a 12.1-inch technology demonstration. A third approach, which uses OCB glasses with time sequential 3D displays to achieve fast response with minimal crosstalk, will be shown in 8.0-inch and 32-inch sizes. This 3D technique alternately displays the appropriate image for each eye while the OCB glasses act as an alternating shutter to achieve a 3D effect without any loss of resolution between the LCD and the image.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 3 new 3D techologies from Toshiba

Post by cybereality »

Sounds cool but how come the displays are so small? Maybe for cellphone screens or laptops I guess. Good to hear that these companies are researching auto-stereo displays. Thats going to be the real tipping point to when S3D goes mainstream.
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: 3 new 3D techologies from Toshiba

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

Hmm QVGA is almost the size of a PSP screen, could we see an S-3D PSP in the future?
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”