E&S' 8K Laser Projectors Also Display 3D Content in HD

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

E&S' 8K Laser Projectors Also Display 3D Content in HD

Post by yuriythebest »

Fresh off of JVC's 8K projectors announcement, Evans & Sutherland's newest laser projector, the ESLP 8K, not only displays a resolution of 8K in 2D, but also projects visuals in 3D as well.

Different from other lamp-drive projectors, the ESLP 8K laser projector displays quality that is apparently sixteen times 1080p HD resolution, with a 200% wider color spectrum, smoother playback and a miniscule environmental footprint. This laser projector is also the first one to display 3D content in 4K x 4K resolution, using only a single projector.

For those interested in checking out these high definition projectors for themselves, the ESLP 8K will be demonstrated at InfoComm this year, and will also be available on the market sometime during the second half of 2009. [E&S]
http://gizmodo.com/5261740/es-8k-laser- ... tent-in-hd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
WheatstoneHolmes
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: E&S' 8K Laser Projectors Also Display 3D Content in HD

Post by WheatstoneHolmes »

I'll be purchasing one later this year...JK :wink:
I came here to chew bubblegum and to see 3D...and I'm all out of bubblegum!
-----------------------
Me on YouTube, you watch: http://www.youtube.com/user/WheatstoneHolmes
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

16x 1080p!

120"+ 3D Projection Set-ups are going to look amazingly detailed... :woot
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

DavidGhast
Banned

Post by DavidGhast »

thats 16x 1080p, or 17280p, for 2d content, and 4k (thats 4x 1080p) for 3d content, what you can already get in theaters i believe, but typically dont because its too expensive for most production to do scans at 4k (or render times for 3d animations). Of course the apparent resolution is all relative to the screen size.

Something that struck me as odd:
• Response time (full-on to full-off): < 200 nanoseconds
• Refresh Rate: Programmable, 60 - 120 Hz

Modern displays have achieved a 2ms refresh rate at best, and even that uses various interpolation methods to achieve this, which is how we have 120hz lcd monitors for 3d gaming. But for the sake of argument, lets say 60hz is the typical time achieved by displays with a 2ms refresh rate. With a response time of 200ns, they should be able to get a refresh rate of over 600,000hz(fps).

It seems like they have intentionally restricted it, which if it costs 20k would be nothing short of a ripoff.
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

I think the limitation here is the amount of available bandwidth on the video cables?

Are there many uses for more than 120hz?
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

DavidGhast
Banned

Post by DavidGhast »

Plenty, but theres never been the technology to explore it. Intentionally dumbing down their tech just to meet the status quo of our current ancient standards is a bit myopic.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”