3D: The New Format War (article)

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Killigath
Cross Eyed!

3D: The New Format War (article)

Post by Killigath »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting
Kimber
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3D: The New Format War (article)

Post by Kimber »

Check out the comments. I am sad to see so many negative comments from a bluray forum. People treat 3D like a political point of view. Either they love it or hate it with a passion.
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jadentheman »

too much ignorance and many people haven't seen what at the cinema. They just say it based on past home 3d treatments red/cyan
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

comments sample :
3D is so 1950's. It didn't work in the 80's either. I don't know what makes them think it will work now with crude 20th century technology. Until somebody develops holographic projection, they should just abandon this gimmicky technology. I'd rather look through a Viewmaster.

all strong emotions aside, I wonder what causes this type of ignorance- I've posted a thread in their forum to get more info - atm going moderator approval
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
UndeadD3vi1
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by UndeadD3vi1 »

I assume it'll slowly die out as more and more people see decent 3D Movies at the cinema, etc.

Red/Cyan sucks, but Polarised impresses everyone at the cinemas.
Make up your own opinions, don't believe B.S! Especally when its about a human and spread with the intent of ruing that persons life.

3D is the Future of Viewing Tech, you see in 3D naturally so how can it not be something you want on your screens?!

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Comments are sad as usual. People need to stop hating.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

People need to try. Most preferable with something else than anaglyph...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
genetic
Cross Eyed!

Post by genetic »

I’m probably going to find myself in some trouble for saying this but I have a secret to confess.

I just can’t be impressed by polarized glasses S-3D at this time. Maybe my local theater is doing it wrong but even the good stuff like at Disneyland had me underwhelmed.

Of course I fully support easy access to any and all 3D options but the blurriness and dark vision that I get really limit my personal enjoyment to the extent that I probably won’t be paying extra money at the theaters anymore with only a few exceptions.

I just thought that this perspective might be interesting to some who think that anyone who doesn’t love the most common form of S-3D must have never tried it.

For the record, I use an HMD about 20 hours a week and am spoiled with zero ghosting because each eye can only see one monitor. Of course the trade off is that I deal with low contrast and 800 x 600 resolution.

I suspect that many of you would not be willing to tolerate the limitations of an HMD and that is fine. I consider myself lucky that these limitations don’t seem to bother me. In a similar fashion, we should realize that many people may not be willing to tolerate the limitations of polarized 3D and that doesn’t necessarily make them ignorant.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

genetic wrote:I’m probably going to find myself in some trouble for saying this but I have a secret to confess.

I just can’t be impressed by polarized glasses S-3D at this time. Maybe my local theater is doing it wrong but even the good stuff like at Disneyland had me underwhelmed.

Of course I fully support easy access to any and all 3D options but the blurriness and dark vision that I get really limit my personal enjoyment to the extent that I probably won’t be paying extra money at the theaters anymore with only a few exceptions.

I just thought that this perspective might be interesting to some who think that anyone who doesn’t love the most common form of S-3D must have never tried it.

For the record, I use an HMD about 20 hours a week and am spoiled with zero ghosting because each eye can only see one monitor. Of course the trade off is that I deal with low contrast and 800 x 600 resolution.

I suspect that many of you would not be willing to tolerate the limitations of an HMD and that is fine. I consider myself lucky that these limitations don’t seem to bother me. In a similar fashion, we should realize that many people may not be willing to tolerate the limitations of polarized 3D and that doesn’t necessarily make them ignorant.
yeah no solution is perfect. Playing in 800*600 doesn't seem that bad- after all people have been doing that for decades and cause of my old videocard I often have to turn the iz3d to that resolution so I can enjoy high framerates. I've never owned an HMD so can't comment further.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”