New here, some quesitons

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
CountViceroy
One Eyed Hopeful

New here, some quesitons

Post by CountViceroy »

Hi. I became interested in Stereoscopic 3d a few years ago, and got a pair of Edimensional Wireless LCD compatible Shutterglasses.

I had a CRT back then, and had not much time to mess with it, I did have a bit of a 3d effect going in Savage:The Battle For Newerth. But there were also a lot of visual problems.

Years later, now, I got it out and set it up with my LCD.

But there are sync problems. I tried the ED activator, I tried the IZ3D drivers, I tried their new beta drivers.

Problem is I can always see both images out of both eyes. My glasses are always out of sync.

Edimensional said they were frequently updating the drivers, and that I should check back.

So I still haven't expereienced very much 3d. Captain EO was too long ago to remember the quality.

I used the IZ3D to play Crysis, and the Halo Demo in crosseyed mode for about 40 minutes combined. I made a lot of adjustments here and there, to be honest the effect really wasn't all that impressive.

Are other 3D options a lot better than that? Because aside from the discomfort, it just really didn't look that good.

I get really excited when I see Vuzix new see through displays!
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_wrap920av" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I'm wicked excited about the idea of someday soon playing augmented reality games. Though to be honest, I think that these glasses aren't quite the step in the evolution we're waiting for.

Anyhow, if I had working shutter 3d, or HMD 3d would it be significantly better than the crosseyed stuff?

Thanks.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: New here, some quesitons

Post by yuriythebest »

CountViceroy welcome to MTBS!
I used the IZ3D to play Crysis, and the Halo Demo in crosseyed mode for about 40 minutes combined. I made a lot of adjustments here and there, to be honest the effect really wasn't all that impressive.
hmm are you sure you had the correct settings?

Anyhow, if I had working shutter 3d, or HMD 3d would it be significantly better than the crosseyed stuff?
you mean as opposed to having 2 images directly in front of you and having to cross your eyes? yess...
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I would recommend getting a pair of anaglyph glasses and trying that out first. That should give you a good idea if stereo3d is for you or not. You can get a decent pair of glasses for around $10 and that will work with free drivers from Nvidia and also iz3D. Better solutions cost in the hundreds of dollars so you want to be sure 3D works for you before you spend the big bucks. Real solutions are mich better than cross-eye for sure.

Here is where you can get some good anaglyph glasses:
http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gla.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that works out for you then you can look into more expensive solutions such as the iz3d monitor or the nvidia 3d vision glasses.
CountViceroy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CountViceroy »

Thanks for the insight.

I'll order a pair of those clip on anaglyphs. From what I've read on this site anaglyph is considered a rather lower standards. Once I've seen the Ana, how much better is the rest?

Also, I've noticed that IZ3D does not load when I try to play it with Savage: Battle For Newerth. Any ideas?

Lastly, I saw a few still stereo shots of Hellgate London. It's one of my favorite games. How well does it work stereo?

Thanks!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

does anaglyph load for other games?

yeah anaglyph is for "testing" mainly, overall it's pretty good fun but delivers maybe 25% of the 3d that regular solutions do, and no real color
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

CountViceroy wrote:Thanks for the insight.

I'll order a pair of those clip on anaglyphs. From what I've read on this site anaglyph is considered a rather lower standards. Once I've seen the Ana, how much better is the rest?

Also, I've noticed that IZ3D does not load when I try to play it with Savage: Battle For Newerth. Any ideas?
Yeah, anaglyph is the bare-bones experience, but it works. I'd say real solutions are about twice as good or more.

If the iz3d driver doesn't work you can also try the nvidia driver which works on nvidia cards.
CountViceroy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CountViceroy »

Hi.

IZ3D won't load on any setting for savage, be it anaglyph, interlaced etc.

Anaglyph does load for the other games.

CyberReality: I do have an Nvidia card, but it's pretty new. It's a 9800GTX+ . I was under the impression that these new Nvidia cards don't work with Nvidia Stereoscopic drivers?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

Savage website wrote: 28. What 3D card will Savage be compatible with?
Savage will be compatible with Nvidia, ATI, and most other video cards that support OpenGL.
Looks like the game uses OpenGL. The iZ3D stereo driver only works on DirectX 8 and DirectX 9 games right now.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

CountViceroy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CountViceroy »

oh. Thanks tril.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Hi and welcome! :)

I think your main problem right now is the lcd-screen (usually don't work with shutters but some very new might do) and missing "oldschool" support for your card vs missing nvidiasupport for your glasses. :(

If you'd like to try out anaglyph and have problem getting some glasses then pm me and i'll send you either a homemade pair or filters to make your own (modify a pair of sunglasses for instance).

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
CountViceroy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CountViceroy »

That's very nice of you Likay, but I've already ordered a pair from the site that CyberReality reccomended.

By the way. I just read that article with the internet co-creator, and he was talking about how in real life obects aren't 3D beyond several meters, and that he felt S3D shouldn't make them appear so.

What are your thoughts guys?

More depth the better? Realism?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Good! It was just in case. :)

Objects farther away certainly appears with less/no stereo effect. But you still have the feel those are far away because of the separation. When objects comes closer to you the feeling of 3d becomes intense because each eye also views different angles of the object (better 3d and wow-effect in other words).
The most pleasant stereosettings when gaming is keeping things "inside" the screen most of the time and having some objects "popping out" as certain occasions. It does depend a little on what game you play though.
Tinkering a bit with separation/convergence is the holy grail to achieve a good stereoeffect. :)
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
CountViceroy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CountViceroy »

So I got those red/cyan anaglyph clip ons.
I've been using the IZ3D driver anaglyph (not optimized setting, I should try that I suppose, though I don't know the difference).

performance varies.

1.It works VERY well on Overlord. Which so far isn't that fun a game, but the 3D is great.
2. IZ3D makes Crysis flip out
3. Made shadowrun error out
4. Halo trial, doesn't work right, the red and blue are still visible through both lenses, and there is no 3d
5. Last remnant: it works, but generally that game doesn't have angles the make 3D look especially good.
6. Looking at online pictures: Some of them work quite well, others seem like the colors aren't quite right, and look like they're trying to be 3D, but are mosly just sort of wierd looking.

Is there currently a solution to play anaglyph on OpenGL games? I'd love to rock Savage stereoscopically.
That and I wish my friend would give me back my Hellgate disc.

By the way. anyone tried IZ3D driver with PS1 or PS2 Emulators?
I wouldn't mind a little Tekken Tag, or God Hand or Legend of Dragoon in stereo!

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”