Sky suggests UK homes could see 3D TV by the end of the year

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Sky suggests UK homes could see 3D TV by the end of the year

Post by yuriythebest »

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/09/sky- ... #c17560639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sky has already successfully tested its 3D broadcasting capabilities, and hinted that the 2012 London Olympics could be comin' at ya like never before, but it now looks like the broadcaster could be set to roll out the service even sooner than many expected. According to Sky's Chief Engineer Chris Johns, Sky now has the "capability for homes to see 3D by year-end," although he unsurprisingly didn't offer any firm timeline for an actual rollout, or even a confirmation of the exact type of 3D system that'd be used, saying simply that they're continuing to test different systems and that he envisions it to be "glasses-based in some form." He also added that Sky is focused on building a content library "over the coming year," so that would seem to suggest that an actual launch would come very near the end of the year, if not later.
yeah even though I assume atm it'll mainly be sports still I think this is an amazing thing to happen for the world, and that this will spread vastly over the increment of time
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Sky suggests UK homes could see 3D TV by the end of the year

Post by koshien »

Very good!
And a 3D movie theater is going to open for the MonstersVSAliens release, 10 minutes from my house...
3D is spreading! 8)
Jadentheman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Sky suggests UK homes could see 3D TV by the end of the year

Post by Jadentheman »

Yep you know 3D is well if I can find a theatre 15 miles from my house that has 2 3D equipped theatres plus for Monsters vs Aliens theatres near me are playing in 3D and 2D!!!!

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”