Powering a VGA vsync dongle externally

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
TomKeller
One Eyed Hopeful

Powering a VGA vsync dongle externally

Post by TomKeller »

I still use my trusty X3D VGA dongle with an old crt monitor, a universal IR emitter and some cheap Chinese IR-3D-glasses for watching 3D movies and clips (well... at least: sometimes... just for fun).
vga_dongle.jpg
But for some strange reason VGA outputs were abandoned by graphics card manufacturers a while ago - I don't know why :P ...

But there are some decent D/A converters out there, converting HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort outputs to analogue VGA signals. But sadly I've found none delivering the 5V on pin 9 of the VGA port, needed for the VGA dongle to work :( .

That's why I thought: well... we've got USB and its 5V output - why not use it (or some other external power supply) for the dongle?

So I did some testing with my Geekom AS 6 mini PC and a barrel jack attached to the power input of the dongle:
Dongle_open.jpg
... and it worked great! Even the activation tool for the dongle had no problems running under Windows 11. I watched some 3D videos and a BluRay 3D with the Stereoscopic Player and had no problems at all.

That's why I thought: let's get to get it to work in a kind of more professional way :!:
So I designed a small PCB which can be sandwiched onto the PCB of the dongle:
Screenshot 2024-01-28 222621.png
It's nothing special. It uses a standard barrel jack for power input... but with a non-standard polarity setup (since I wanted 5V passthrough when nothing is connected):
psu-polarity.png
So for using USB power you may have to build your own adapter cable.

It uses an IRLML6402PbF p-channel mosfet for a simple protection against wrong polarity and even all the testpoints are still accessible after the installation :mrgreen: :
20240128_202409.jpg
The addon board uses a lot of the vias and some testpoints for attaching it to the PCB of the dongle... making sure it stays where it should.

Everything fits barely inside the casing - but it fits without any problems. The addon PCB should work with any older revision of the VGA dongle... but since I don't have any newer revisions to test, I don't know for sure if it works with them too...

Gerber files are available at OSHpark:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/6VUUgriu

I know :roll: : It's kind of a stupid little project... but maybe some people will have some fun with it :shutter !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomKeller
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Powering a VGA vsync dongle externally

Post by TomKeller »

I stumbled across a new revision of the dongle PCB (103364D instead of 103364C) and modified my addon PCB to fit on it:
Screenshot 2024-03-12 004442.png
U4 from the dongle PCB has to be desoldered and put onto the addon board:
20240312_010124.jpg
New Gerber files are again available at OSHpark:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/i2vm9OgJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”