Olympus - PC 3D Viewer Kit with ("Standard"!) LCD Monitor

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Olympus - PC 3D Viewer Kit with ("Standard"!) LCD Monitor

Post by SinSilla »

"New technology offers content creators an easy,
low-cost way to provide a 3D viewing environment on a standard LCD monitor."
Have a look at their Website:

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2 ... 3dkite.cfm.

The only requirements on the monitor are the following:

Resolution: 800x600, Hi-Color or better (16.77 million colors recommended)
Response time: 8ms or faster (recommendations: 6ms or faster for monochrome, 2ms or faster for halftones)

What do you think of this?

Even the bundled benq monitor is far off ( Vertical frequency: 50-76Hz) the 120Hz requirement of the nvidia lcd solution.

Could this be it? :D
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Olympus - PC 3D Viewer Kit with ("Standard"!) LCD Monitor

Post by budda »

Hi,

This appears to be a fantastic achievement getting S3D working on "normal" LCD displays.
The shutter glasses timing optimization allows 3D stereoscopic viewing on a standard LCD monitor, dramatically reducing 3D implementation costs.

The shutter glasses timing optimization technology developed exclusively by Olympus Visual Communications (patent pending) ensures stable 3D images on a standard LCD monitor using frame sequential stereoscopic method. The ability to use a standard monitor reduces costs compared with systems that require the purchase of special 3D monitors. Moreover, the use of shutter technology allows 3D images to be viewed at full resolution.

I wonder how well it works ...

And how did Olympus manage to get a patent on this timing idea under everyone elses noses !!

It seems there are aspects of mainstream S3D technology that are still being tapped.

:shock:
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I don't believe olympus is actually saying their solution works with any LCD monitor, but rather that they use current generation monitors (instead of 120Hz ones or special polarized ones), and they make sure their glasses have the same polarisation than the screen before selling users a package containing both the screen and the glasses.

Their device does not seem to be aimed at gamers or people using the 3D for long periods. But rather professionnals who work with 3D video and photo content who need to check quickly that their settings are correct, then remove the glasses and continue working.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Too bad its for Japan only.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

I would love that we all had a cost-effective solution for a retro-fit use of our existing 75 Hz and above monitors with this solution from Olympus. Looks like there patents pending software and hardware controller box plus shutter glasses was alluding to my theoretical solution How much would you pay for a "magic box" 120Hz LCD upscaler? here?

Here's hoping that any of our Japanese readers/members (Olympus say,' Japan only' :cry: ),may acquire and review this solution for us soon?

Image Image
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

koshien
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by koshien »

BlackShark wrote: Their device does not seem to be aimed at gamers or people using the 3D for long periods. But rather professionnals who work with 3D video and photo content who need to check quickly that their settings are correct, then remove the glasses and continue working.
Unfortunately, I agree...
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Silversurfer wrote:I would love that we all had a cost-effective solution for a retro-fit use of our existing 75 Hz and above monitors with this solution from Olympus. Looks like there patents pending software and hardware controller box plus shutter glasses was alluding to my theoretical solution How much would you pay for a "magic box" 120Hz LCD upscaler? here?
The timing thing is not the entire story, it's only one part of the issue. The main problem about retro-fitting current LCD monitors is not all monitors have the same polarisation so you can't guarantee every monitor will work with the same glasses.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

From the "Magic box" thead:
Controller box (Olympus Power3D Controller Box CB100)Controller box
External dimensions: 26mm (W) x 52mm (H) x 13mm (D)
USB cable
Screen sensor
External dimensions: 21mm (W) x 27mm (H) x 14.5mm (D)
Connection cable"

What do you think is the Srceen sensor about?

May the trick to sync everything up?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The screen sensor might be the secret. It senses the internal lag of the display and the box adjusts accordingly... One way to go but with a poor lcd you might get type 5 Hz refresh or even lower. Still innovative though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Okta

Post by Okta »

In the nvidia drivers custom refresh settings isnt there the ability to change nearly all aspects of your lcd's timing? I wonder if anyone has made a major effort to tune it to some shutter glasses.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

That's a different thing. I believe that the sensor senses how the monitor acts and adjusts the box after values given.
The refreshrate to a monitor can only be used at certain standard levels. Otherwise you should indeed be able to use the nvidiadriver, tune down the refreshrate until stereo works (and at an enough slow refresh all lcd's will work, even if it's only 1 Hz. :D ).
The issue with this is about standards but also the hardware in the monitors. They're tuned to certain frequencies and usage of higher or lower results in either a faulty/black picture or even worse: the monitor breaks.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Maybe someone with some electronic flare could make a simple tuning box for the glasses with pots to tune the start and finish of each shutter cycle. Isnt there something like this available on the flight sim site?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I believe Ragedemon made something for this with 555's. The nvidiadriver once (maybe now also) had tuningvalues for the shutters in their stereodrivers. You need to go into registry for that though (or maybe alt+ and alt-). However i still think a decent 3d-stereo with uncompatible lcd's isn't going to give a very pleasant experience. Maybe you get a max of 5 fps and have to blank the shutters almost to total darkness.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”