Various questions about stereoscopic 3d.

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Magnustokai
One Eyed Hopeful

Various questions about stereoscopic 3d.

Post by Magnustokai »

Based on the research I've done I have decided to go with Head mounted display for 3d but before I do so I have some questions.

1. I'm waiting for the TDVision HD HMD but I have questions on whether or not the high resolution is worth it. Looking at low res cross-eyed pictures I find that the image looks just as sharp as a high resolution image. I'm assuming it is because the two side by side pictures are being combined essentially doubling the resolution. Will the same thing occur with head mounted displays? Also as I mentioned earlier is the higher resolution of 1280x720 worth it as opposed to 800x600 or even 640x480?

2. Are there any HMD review sites that focus on their 3d gaming implementation?

3. Are there any other comparable HMD sets to the HDVision that have high resolution ie. 720p?

4. Apart from resolution are there any other factors I should be looking for when buying a HMD set?

5. Are there any drivers that allow me to play games with side by side pictures allowing me to play cross-eyed? On the same note is there any software that does real time 2d-3d conversion with the cross-eyed option.

6. Are there any advantages and disadvantages with HMD compared to other forms of 3D? From what I read HMD seems to be the best 3d solution cost aside.

7. What kind of performance hit on games is there when playing in stereoscopic mode or anaglyph mode if any? Should I expect my framerate to be halved?

8. Are there any stores(online or off) that offer 3d movies which are not anaglyph?

Thanks in Advance!

Here are my specs.
8800gt 512 mb
4gb ram
Core 2 duo 6700
37 inch 1080p Westinghouse LCD 60hz (Reason I'm not going with shutter)
Windows Vista 64 bit. (I'd like to be warned of any conflicts)
Last edited by Magnustokai on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Various questions about stereoscopic 3d.

Post by yuriythebest »

hi! I don't have an HMD so I can only answer your last 2 questions

7. What kind of performance hit on games is there when playing in stereoscopic mode or anaglyph mode if any? Should I expect my framerate to be halved?
it all depends on the drivers, the game and your rig. Can be anywhere from 10-50%. However don't let that scare you- you can usually get any game to play
with at good fps with some tweaking.
8. Are there any stores(online or off) that offer 3d movies which are not anaglyph?
http://www.underground3dmovies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Btw welcome to MTBS!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

An HMD is a decent solution but has its pros and cons. First off, the TDVisor HD has been delayed and the ETA is TBD. So you may be waiting awhile. In terms of resolution the images do combine so you get a higher-res looking image than it actually is. I don't know of any other HD headsets. The only other headset maybe worth getting is the VR920 but thats only 640x480. I've got the VR920 but I barely use it anymore. Its just too much of a hassle to wear it plus the low res / low FOV makes in annoying. Now I use a Zalman which is a 3d monitor comparable to the iz3d. I find the 3d monitor experience to be better overall and would recommend it. I hope that helps.
Magnustokai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Magnustokai »

Speaking of drivers. What kind of drivers are out there? From what I've researched I found Tridef, Iz3d, and Nvidia which now only works with their 3d technology partners. Are there any other drivers around that work with HMD displays.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

The VR920 from Vuzix can use the driver developped by Vuzix.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

If the HMD takes dual input (Like the tdvision) our dual ouput should work with it.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

Magnustokai wrote:6. Are there any advantages and disadvantages with HMD compared to other forms of 3D? From what I read HMD seems to be the best 3d solution cost aside.
I find uncomfortable and neck straining to wear my HMD for gaming when the game does not support head tracking. I try to hold my head straight forward but I always end up facing the desk. For 'normal' games (those that aren't racing or flight sims) I prefer my monitor and shutter-glasses, though I keep thinking how good is stereo-3D with the HMD in comparison :)
There is also the problem of the little field of view compared to modern monitors, HDTV and projectors. The HD TDVisor will be a bit better on that.

In general I think that HMD's are only for people who has dreamed of having one from childhood (like myself). They are too uncomfortable and intrusive. Yes, the stereo effect is so good that is terrific when correctly configured, things are just 3D, solid 3D without fissures, but they aren't for everybody.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”