Optoma HD70 Stereoscopic possible or not?

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Optoma HD70 Stereoscopic possible or not?

Post by Croccy22 »

Hi guys,

I've recently got into the whole 3d thing and i'm loving it. I started with anaglyph 3d on my projector which was good but obviously the colour problems spoiled it.

I now have a Zalman 19" 3d screen which is absolutely brilliant and I would recommend to anyone especially for £150 which I thought was a very good price.

However, I still have my optoma HD70 projector sat there on a 110" screen and I would love to get 3d working on it if at all possible. I have seen a couple of people mention the eDimensional glasses and I very nearly ordered some the other day but I managed to stop myself!

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the HD70 and stereoscopic 3d. Does it work and is it worth spending the money?

Thanks, Matt.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Optoma HD70 Stereoscopic possible or not?

Post by Tril »

I don't have a definite answer but I can share my thoughts. I have experience with two Optoma projectors (EP739 and HD71). The EP739 syncs properly at 85 Hz and the HD71 only syncs properly at 60 Hz. The HD70 is not the same projector as the HD71 but it's closer to the HD71 than the EP739 so it's more likely to support only 60 Hz. You're going to see a lot of flicker at 60 Hz.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Is there any way of testing this without buying glasses?

Obviously I can set my computer to 85hz but I guess thats not the actual problem. The projector says it supports up to 120hz but I read that thats not entirely accurate information?

MAtt.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

EDIT : I deleted this post. I thought I had an idea about a test that you could do but I don't.

Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

According to the HD70 manual it supports 1280x720 at 85hz. Doesn anyone know if the HD71 projector always specifies this in the manual?

Just wondering if they specify it but it doesn't actually work or whether the HD70 can handle the faster frequency refresh rate?

Can't find the manual for the HD71 on optomas site for some reason?

Thanks, Matt.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Ok, I just found the manual for the HD71 and it clearly stated that it supports 1280x720 and a max refresh of 60Hz.

However the HD70 manual clearly states that it supports 1280x720 and a max refresh of 85Hz both Analogue and Digital.

So would this be fast enough for the eDimensional glasses? Would I get any flicker?

Also I currently have a Zalman 19" monitor and am using the nVidia Stereoscopic driver. How easy would it be to co-host both the solutions. I don't need to view it on both screens at the same time but I want to be able to switch between the two without much hassle. Are the eDimensional glasses well supported?

Thanks, Matt.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

The thing is, sometimes a projector will accept a specific frequency at a specific resolution but it will not display at that frequency (by dropping some of the received frames).

My HD71 accepts 120 Hz on VGA but it drops about half the frames so it actually displays at 60 Hz. It also accepts 75 Hz but the eyes swap so it must be dropping frames at that frequency too.

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

and even if by some luck you'll get the 85hz you'll still have some pretty bad flicker. What you could do is get two projectors and use the passive polarized technique= no flicker at all, more comfortable glasses.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Two projectors sounds really nice. But i'm trying not to spend too much money at the moment! As I said I have the Zalman monitor to keep me going for a while but with all the talk about 3d becomming mainstream over the next year I don't want to invest loads of money at the moment as I'm sure all sorts of hardware are going to appear over the next 12 months.

Thanks for the help.

Matt.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”