Gamecyte - Is Your Gaming Future in Stereo 3d? Part Five

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Gamecyte - Is Your Gaming Future in Stereo 3d? Part Five

Post by pixel67 »

I didn't see a post on this already so here it is. This go around they are interviewing Andrew Oliver, co founder and CTO for Blitz Games. It is a pretty good read and provides updates on the status of their PS3 and XBOX360 compatible S3D game engine and upcoming games based on it...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Gamecyte - Is Your Gaming Future in Stereo 3d? Part Five

Post by yuriythebest »

thanks very interesting!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

What a great article, Really interesting and a great light on 3D for me.

It
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I can't wait to see what these guys are cooking up.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

All the Gamecyte S3D articles are very good and enjoyable read; great job on their part. Some thoughts:

-- it is really great that they try to support as many S3D displays as possible. But when they says 1080p/60fps, I'm not sure if they will work on Samsung S3D plasmas (42" is 1024x768; 50" is 1366x768)

-- so there may be 1 to 2 million S3D HDTV displays ... but only some percentage of them are hooked up to PS3/Xbox360, and amongst those only some percentage will folk out $100-$200 for 3D glasses to play their S3D game. I hope they crunch the numbers and determined that they will enough customers to sustain their S3D investment ...

-- Samsung seems to be getting out of DLP HDTV business ... seems like the current S3D HDTVs will be "phased out" and a new wave of S3D HDTV (probably with new input signal standard) will start coming in 2010 and beyond

-- iZ3D sticks out as the S3D monitor that cannot support console S3D ... I hope they have plans to make "converter box" (like the prototype shown in 2009 CES) for their current monitor to support console S3D, and sell it at an affordable price (say $50-$100). And I assume they are smart and all future iZ3D monitors will support console S3D in addition to PC (plus support HDCP too).
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

ssiu wrote: -- iZ3D sticks out as the S3D monitor that cannot support console S3D ... I hope they have plans to make "converter box" (like the prototype shown in 2009 CES) for their current monitor to support console S3D, and sell it at an affordable price (say $50-$100). And I assume they are smart and all future iZ3D monitors will support console S3D in addition to PC (plus support HDCP too).
iz3d already announced a console-supporting version of their monitor, the problem atm is getting console games that'll have 3d support
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

yuriythebest wrote:
ssiu wrote: -- iZ3D sticks out as the S3D monitor that cannot support console S3D ... I hope they have plans to make "converter box" (like the prototype shown in 2009 CES) for their current monitor to support console S3D, and sell it at an affordable price (say $50-$100). And I assume they are smart and all future iZ3D monitors will support console S3D in addition to PC (plus support HDCP too).
iz3d already announced a console-supporting version of their monitor, the problem atm is getting console games that'll have 3d support
Yes, we had one playing a 3D game on a Wii, and also a game on an Xbox 360
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

If anyone is going to do a demo S3D console game then you should start on the most popular game on the most popular console.

That leaves Wii Bowling on the Wii console. :wink:

And when Wii Sports Resort comes out soon with the Wii MotionPlus, then do that too. :wink: :wink:

Thanks.
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

yuriythebest wrote:
I mean for prospective buyer of S3D monitor today, knowing that the iZ3D monitor they can purchase today will not be able to support console S3D in the future, and knowing that other competitor S3D monitors (like the 120Hz ones, or even Zalman row-interleaved) will most likely be able to support console S3D in the future. That puts iZ3D at a disadvantage.

Plus all current iZ3D monitor owners are left out.

If iZ3D announce that they will sell a converter box (for their current monitor) in the future at a reasonable price, then that will address their competitive disadvantage.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

ssiu wrote:If iZ3D announce that they will sell a converter box (for their current monitor) in the future at a reasonable price, then that will address their competitive disadvantage.
This seems a bit unnecessary considering console S3D is still up in the air at this point in time. Aside from a few prototypes theres nothing concrete in the pipeline so I wouldn't say iz3d is at a "competitive disadvantage" for not supporting vaporware.
ssiu

Post by ssiu »

cybereality wrote:
ssiu wrote:If iZ3D announce that they will sell a converter box (for their current monitor) in the future at a reasonable price, then that will address their competitive disadvantage.
This seems a bit unnecessary considering console S3D is still up in the air at this point in time. Aside from a few prototypes theres nothing concrete in the pipeline so I wouldn't say iz3d is at a "competitive disadvantage" for not supporting vaporware.
The Blitz Games (the subject of this thread, and what prompted my comment) upcoming game *is* the "console S3D game that is concrete in the pipeline". (Plus potentially all games that license their engine.) I am just letting iZ3D know that there are people (like me) who think about this and care about this.

Yes, iZ3D may well decide that the potential market and potential lost sale due to this factor is not big enough to justify the investment in a converter box ...

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”