Vorpx and Geo-11 - 3DTV Gaming is ALIVE!

wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Vorpx and Geo-11 - 3DTV Gaming is ALIVE!

Post by wazoo »

I'm probably late to the party on this, but I wanted to put this in a place where I hope others, like myself, who have been out of 3D stereoscopic gaming since NVidia borked the drivers AND have a 3DTV can see what has worked, at least for me.

So I have an LG Passive 4k 3D TV (UH9500) with an Nvidia Shield hooked to it running Moonlight for game streaming from my i9-13900k & 3090 Nvidia. I started with ROTTR as an experiment to see how well SBS works over the Shield. Perfection!

Then I read about Geo-11 and its ability to output SBS and TAB output. Loaded up Borderlands 3 (never played it, but owned it), set TAB and WOW! Fantastic remote gaming experience in 3D! I tried other games with Geo-11, but had luck with some but not others.

THEN I found out about Vorpx. As a VR guy, I had heard about it but never messed with it.... until reading that the dev added SBS output. So even though a paid app ($40), if it worked with lots of other games that Geo-11 didn't, it would be WELL worth the cost. I'm happy to report that so far, it is fantastic. The amount of supported games is staggering and it is a no-brainer to get it to run. So far I've played FarCry 4 and Crysis 3, and it just works.

I'll continuing experimenting with it, but so far, the best $40 I've spent for 3D in years.....
wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Vorpx and Geo-11 - 3DTV Gaming is ALIVE!

Post by wazoo »

STEREOSCOPICmaniac wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:49 pm So what's the benefit of manually adding 3d patches? What are the functions that it has while 3d fix manager don't? Does it ensure acceptable 3d effect in SBS?

Do you get 3d patches from this DB or other places?
https://airtable.com/shrIBpAVCHQm8Ao0t/ ... qwD1ksRcLw

Though the homepage of helixmod provides around 1370 3d patches, they are generally included in the 3d fix manager's list(1217). And the newly updated ones(https://helixmod.blogspot.com/ here) are only listed in the DB link I pasted above. So I guess it might be the most complete list. Is that so? All are there any other sources?

Thanks in advance.
So the way I'm thinking about this is that geo-11 and Vorpx are basically two, mutually exclusive solutions for those of us who want SBS gaming (although geo-11 also does TAB) now that Nvidia has killed 3DVision/3DTV support post driver 425.31 (I think).

In the geo-11 "universe", the General Rule is that previous 3dVision fixes (a.k.a. HelixMods) will mostly still work with geo-11. Thus, you can do an overall fix by first using 3d Fix Manager to "patch" the shaders, and then install the geo-11 files into the game directory. 3dFix Manager just, I think, saves time... but you can also d/l them from the Helix site (that's what I do).

Vorpx is an entirely different animal which is completely self-contained. It runs a "watcher" app in your system tray and then when you launch a game that has a "profile", the game will automatically launch in SBS mode. The "profiles" are, I assume, similar to the mods at Helix and are done by both the dev and the community as you can download profiles from the cloud and instantly import them all from within the program. As I said, I'm just learning this, but so far it is pretty damn good. It works with DX9, 11 and 12 games (although I have not tried a DX12 game yet). As you can see from my OP, I have a relatively beefy system, and I've had no performance issues running in Geometry3D mode (i.e. "real" 3D and not the Z-buffered mode which is also available as a last resort for game compatibility.) Obviously YMMV.

I wrote the original post as I kinda stumbled into this by doing a bunch a reading since I found no clear, single source that explained all this in a 3DTV context. That being said, I'm sure I've missed stuff.... but this is how I've got it to work.
wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wazoo »

STEREOSCOPICmaniac wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:18 am
wazoo wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:30 am
STEREOSCOPICmaniac wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:49 pm So what's the benefit of manually adding 3d patches? What are the functions that it has while 3d fix manager don't? Does it ensure acceptable 3d effect in SBS?

Do you get 3d patches from this DB or other places?
https://airtable.com/shrIBpAVCHQm8Ao0t/ ... qwD1ksRcLw

Though the homepage of helixmod provides around 1370 3d patches, they are generally included in the 3d fix manager's list(1217). And the newly updated ones(https://helixmod.blogspot.com/ here) are only listed in the DB link I pasted above. So I guess it might be the most complete list. Is that so? All are there any other sources?

Thanks in advance.
So the way I'm thinking about this is that geo-11 and Vorpx are basically two, mutually exclusive solutions for those of us who want SBS gaming (although geo-11 also does TAB) now that Nvidia has killed 3DVision/3DTV support post driver 425.31 (I think).

In the geo-11 "universe", the General Rule is that previous 3dVision fixes (a.k.a. HelixMods) will mostly still work with geo-11. Thus, you can do an overall fix by first using 3d Fix Manager to "patch" the shaders, and then install the geo-11 files into the game directory. 3dFix Manager just, I think, saves time... but you can also d/l them from the Helix site (that's what I do).

Vorpx is an entirely different animal which is completely self-contained. It runs a "watcher" app in your system tray and then when you launch a game that has a "profile", the game will automatically launch in SBS mode. The "profiles" are, I assume, similar to the mods at Helix and are done by both the dev and the community as you can download profiles from the cloud and instantly import them all from within the program. As I said, I'm just learning this, but so far it is pretty damn good. It works with DX9, 11 and 12 games (although I have not tried a DX12 game yet). As you can see from my OP, I have a relatively beefy system, and I've had no performance issues running in Geometry3D mode (i.e. "real" 3D and not the Z-buffered mode which is also available as a last resort for game compatibility.) Obviously YMMV.

I wrote the original post as I kinda stumbled into this by doing a bunch a reading since I found no clear, single source that explained all this in a 3DTV context. That being said, I'm sure I've missed stuff.... but this is how I've got it to work.
Thanks for your reply.

AFAIK nividia 3dtv support only supports 1080P24 or 720P60, which is basically unplayable I suppose. I tested Alan Wake on my 4K LED TV and it ran awfully.

And as for Vorpx, isn't that for VR headset? I used to own a quest2 but sold it. Or can Vorpx output SBS to any device?
Correct. Vorpx can output SBS to any device. I stream the SBS to my Nvidia Shield/LG 3DTV and it works beautifully. I'm also streaming at 4k. In fact, I played Control in 4K last night and it was rock-solid using Vorpx (some minor shader issues with smoke but totally playable).

Side-note... I recently purchased this for couch-mouse gaming and absolutely love it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCHRJ2Q

I suck using a controller and this set-up is perfect for me... although I've prohibited my kids from taking any photos of me sitting on my couch, encased in this set-up, while wearing 3D glasses. Let's just say I'm glad I'm already married. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wazoo »

STEREOSCOPICmaniac wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:01 am
wazoo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:56 pm Correct. Vorpx can output SBS to any device. I stream the SBS to my Nvidia Shield/LG 3DTV and it works beautifully. I'm also streaming at 4k. In fact, I played Control in 4K last night and it was rock-solid using Vorpx (some minor shader issues with smoke but totally playable).

Side-note... I recently purchased this for couch-mouse gaming and absolutely love it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CCHRJ2Q

I suck using a controller and this set-up is perfect for me... although I've prohibited my kids from taking any photos of me sitting on my couch, encased in this set-up, while wearing 3D glasses. Let's just say I'm glad I'm already married. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's nice. Enjoy your device! Logitech K400Plus may suits you fine as well.

I'll work on thoses mods later. Maybe I'll give Vorpx a try. Wish I'll make some progress today.

BTW, have you ever tried Losti's universal UE4 3D mod? I went into some problems but it works obviously. It's worth a try.

Noticed that you joined here 16 years ago. So to some extent you are a senior. WIth respect. :)
Yup. I'm old. :lol:

My first computer 3D gaming experience was on my Amiga back in the late 1980's when I was in law school. I was blown away by a pair of LCD shutter glasses which was unheard of at the time for a consumer product. The only game they had was one called "Space Spuds". It was a fun arcade shooter... but the tech, sadly, never caught on.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wazoo »

3DNovice wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:48 am
wazoo wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:32 pm So I have an LG Passive 4k 3D TV (UH9500) with an Nvidia Shield hooked to it running Moonlight for game streaming from my i9-13900k & 3090 Nvidia.
If you ditch the shield, Geo-11 offers Line Interleaved

If using Nvidia stereoscopic drivers in addition to Geo-11, you can use Frame Packed, though I'm unsure if the Shield would support it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comment ... hout_3dtv/

But of course you are limited in the amount of games that work with a 3090, due to the removal of the dx11 stereoscopic support within
Nvidia's drivers, which is why Geo-11 exists and routes the dx11 stereo calls through Nvidia's dx9 path, if using Nvidia's drivers. But of course,
it also functions as a standalone stereoscopic middleware.

But using Optomized for Nvidia GeForce/Passive Override or the Reddit workaround along with Helix wrapper fixes will give you dx9 gameplay options.

TriDef is also good for dx9 solutions, but if on W10, you must use an injector.
Unfortunately, ditching the Shield is not an option because my gaming rig is in another part of the home.
wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wazoo »

STEREOSCOPICmaniac wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:23 am 1980's? Seriously? That's really impressive! I didn't know there was shutter at that time. I thought it was primitive anaglyph things at most.

My first 3D device was a used 3DS, which I bought secretly during high school. It's cool, but far from really good 3D experience. I've always been interested in 3D devices since then and dreamt of having some real ones. The idea of displaying in stereoscopic way never failed to facinate me. Now I'm in university and I'm glad I finally realized my dream. I collected nearly all types of 3D devices. The process was tough though, sort of like archaeology.

3D is dead...yeah that's true, but I would rather think that it changed into the form of VR and AR. Or more optimistically, evolved into that form. But I sold my quest2 last year after having tried all the functions and contents it had and drew the conclusion that VR is still far from satisfying. Hardware defects aside, the only attractive game, or platform, for me, was VRchat. That's the only product that has ever been close to the concept of metaverse I suppose. Besides, my 2060 works just soso on most of the games and on some games which wasn't fully optimized, it's unplayable at all, just like watching ppt. Strangely enough, Half-Life Alyx works smoothly, but I never managed to finsh the game. And every time taking off the headset I felt exausted. Simply putting on a shutter and play 3d in front of the monitor seems more relaxing for me.

I use a Valve Index which I absolutely LOVE.... but I agree with you: I find it more "comfortable" playing in 3D Stereoscopic [especially on a passive 3D TV] vs. VR due to the headset weight especially. I do think though that Half Life:Alyx was the most revolutionary gaming experience I've had in the 40+ years I've been a PC gamer (started on an Apple ][ in 1979) and supplanted HL2 as my all-time favorite gaming experience (although the Bioshock series is close...).

I'm very interested in the new BigScreen VR headset due to launch this year. ULTRA lightweight and made for PCVR which is still my preferred VR experience.

As an aside, I have a 4090 coming next week because my other rig's 1080ti finally died after 6+ years of service. I'll put the 4090 in my main gaming rig (I'm also an IRL pilot, and I use my gaming rig for flight training... and in the world of flight simming, you can NEVER have enough GPU orCPU power). I was stunned about the reported gains over a 3090... so I'm hoping I see similar results.
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

Yea, Vorpx is pretty slick IMO. Another cool thing about Vorpx is how easy it is to create game profiles for games not on the official list. For instance Star Trek Elite force has a game profile but Elite Force II didn't. Simply finding a game that used the exact same game engine and creating a new profile with that is pretty easy. Those games use to work wonderfully with the Nvidia 3D consumer driver that preceded 3D Vision but most of those old OGL games stopped working in 3D about the time 3D Vision was taking off. I have 2 computers with IZ3D, Tridef and 3D Vision working. Vorpx is the only software I use that can support those old OGL titles. I do need to try that Geo-11 though.

Another great thing about the Nvidia shield is IMO pound for pound and dollar for dollar the best game emulator I've ever encountered, especially for GameCube and Wii games. With the Dolphin emulator you can play all of them in full 3D and so I have been. Last few months I've been down that rabbit hole. I've heard some claim that the shield doesn't handle GC and Wii games well but that is a falsehood. I've ran the same games with the windows and even a boot-up batocera SSD. The games that have issues on the shield, have the same issues in Windows and Lynx Batocera but the shield in the most cases handle them just a little better. I also have a PS3 with many 3D titles and I find the 3D gameplay to be mostly better on the shield. Tube Slider, those hot wheels games , Mario cart. So many great games. A mayfair GC controller adapter with a gamecube controller for the GC games and a Dolphin bar with real Wii controllers really add to the experience and also have less latency on the shield then on PC.

If I'm understanding correctly, Nintendo developed the 3D driver but didn't release it. A pity, unlike PS3 3D where only a handful of games worked in 3D that was baked into the games as SBS 3D. GC and Wii games that are accelerated, all work and look great in 3D. Makes me think things might have went differently for Nintendo if they would have went through with their 3D plans at a time when they were still trading blows with Sony.

3D and VR still alive and well here with more options than time to explore them. Happy immersion to all
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

STEREOSCOPICmaniac wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:38 pm Sounds interesting. I spent a lot of time last night trying to figure out how to manually add 3d patches(opengl geo11 3dmigoto vulkan and so on) rather than leave it to 3d fix manager to be done automatically, but not much progress yet.
As for passive 3d, I own a 27' monitor and a 49' 4K LED TV. I managed to do the EDID override and on the monitor it works like a disaster with strangely set convergence and seperation, while on the TV it doesn't work at all.
So I basically gave up sbs and I'm now only using nvidia 3d vision monitor for gaming and pssive 3d devices for movies. But seeing your post I guess maybe I'll try again later.
You may want to have a look in the Tridef forum here and try to get that working for your passive support. Simply always a better option, IMO, for passive monitors and TV's because that was their main focus. Just like Nvidia has some games that are perfect with their driver, so did Tridef for instance, Half Life 2 with Tridef https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuBQZVoMK1g
petermg
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by petermg »

wazoo wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:32 pm I'm probably late to the party on this, but I wanted to put this in a place where I hope others, like myself, who have been out of 3D stereoscopic gaming since NVidia borked the drivers AND have a 3DTV can see what has worked, at least for me.

So I have an LG Passive 4k 3D TV (UH9500) with an Nvidia Shield hooked to it running Moonlight for game streaming from my i9-13900k & 3090 Nvidia. I started with ROTTR as an experiment to see how well SBS works over the Shield. Perfection!

Then I read about Geo-11 and its ability to output SBS and TAB output. Loaded up Borderlands 3 (never played it, but owned it), set TAB and WOW! Fantastic remote gaming experience in 3D! I tried other games with Geo-11, but had luck with some but not others.

THEN I found out about Vorpx. As a VR guy, I had heard about it but never messed with it.... until reading that the dev added SBS output. So even though a paid app ($40), if it worked with lots of other games that Geo-11 didn't, it would be WELL worth the cost. I'm happy to report that so far, it is fantastic. The amount of supported games is staggering and it is a no-brainer to get it to run. So far I've played FarCry 4 and Crysis 3, and it just works.

I'll continuing experimenting with it, but so far, the best $40 I've spent for 3D in years.....
How did you get a good experience with Borderlands 3 using Geo11? I tried it and a bunch of the visuals are messed up. So I'm excited to hear what you did. Thanks!
wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wazoo »

petermg wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:43 am
wazoo wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:32 pm I'm probably late to the party on this, but I wanted to put this in a place where I hope others, like myself, who have been out of 3D stereoscopic gaming since NVidia borked the drivers AND have a 3DTV can see what has worked, at least for me.

How did you get a good experience with Borderlands 3 using Geo11? I tried it and a bunch of the visuals are messed up. So I'm excited to hear what you did. Thanks!
I just followed the instructions given; i.e. I downloaded the HelixMod shader fix, overwrote the two or three files that come with Geo-11, and then ran it. The default convergence was WAAAAYYY off... so I took off my glasses and used CTRL F4/F5 (I think those are the hotkeys but I always forget) until the main menu text was only *slightly* "doubled" indicating some depth. After that, it is pretty flawless for me.
wazoo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wazoo »

STEREOSCOPICmaniac wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:32 am Yeah I've heard of that. Bigscreen VR Headset. Weight is the most significant factor to me. It's really exciting to see that it weighs only 127g after experiencing the disappointment of seeing Pico4 still being as heavy as Fresnel ones. But it's unavailble here, at least temporarily. Even if it launches in here it's too expensive for me. So in the forseeable future I don't think I'm gonna buy a headset. Maybe 5 years later all headsets can be as light as AR glasses.

4090...That's definitely gonna make a killer. When in senior high all we boys cared about was video cards since many of us didn't have powerful one(traditionally parents here won't allow kids to have access to PC that often, let along powerful videocards, as we had to prepare for the college entrance exam.) At that time the card we were eagering was 1060. I was using an old laptop secretly and my parents didn't notice for a long time. One of our friends, a girl, her father bought a 1080Ti and she only used it to watch online videos. It turned into a legend among us. After college entrance exam I built my first desktop, and the video card was 1660Ti. The other parts were basically the same as my signature shows since I took most of the parts from it and assembled it to my barebone. But now I don't have that much passion and my 2060 may still serve until graduation.

Wait, you mean you are an amateur pilot right? That's really cool. I dreamt of becoming a pilot since childhood and took aviation things as my interest. Unfortunately I didn't make it due to many reasons but my major is about aviation. And my university is one of the best ones focusing on aeronautics and astronautics. Sanctioned by the US though hhhh. The college of universal flight is just next to ours and every day we see pilots coming and go in decent uniforms.
Yeah... I've been a private pilot for about six years now. Absolutely love it! I've got my IFR and also have trained in aerobatics. Bought a Cirrus SR-20 last year, and have enjoyed setting up my home sim with gear from RealSimGear.com.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”