3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
treeeddd
Cross Eyed!

Re: Athonos turn a 2D Display into 3D

Post by treeeddd »

Active shutter glasses below 120hz is sort of painful to view through, also the shutter speed is more noticeable at lower refresh rates too. Also, brightness is still needs to be increased to go get pass the dimness of the active glasses as well. I think miniled backligt would help alot if it can reach 1000nits fullscreen brightness. oled brightness is just not there atm for active shutter glasses to be enjoyable, but if it can get brighter like what QD-oled can do.

I've gone down to 85hz with the 3d vision glasses on an IPS monitor, still a bit of crosstalk at the top and bottom, and the brightness was too dim.

If 3d glasses are going to make a comeback it's going to need to be brighter.

So your telling me, HDfury has a product that comes with 3d glasses to turn any TV into a 3D display? I might just have to try it out someday, cause they have expensive products. I have a HDfury linker that I use for upscaling/downlscaling, best ever.

I really want to see 3d vision work on a 4k display at 120hz, so it's really going to come down to the display's ability that's going to give you a good 3d experience.

If the glass free 3d can come with some sort of passive 3d glasses as well, that could be the way forward with high resolution displays nowadays.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:48 am Quoted from viewtopic.php?t=29015
peter64 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:13 am Hey Guys,

So I'm looking for beta testers and volunteers to help with a system I'm working on I have it working and tested with 2 TV sets already
LG OLED C1 and Sony XBR 48a9s with no crosstalk/ghosting, and it looks really good.

TV:
I am looking for anyone who wants to help test the unit with LG OLED C2, Samsung OLED's or other Sony OLEDs.
Your TV must support strong BFI, by that I mean it must insert a dark frame for a large portion of the time (preferably as close to 50% of the time).
If your TV BFI duty cycle is not close enough to 50% you will experience cross talk / ghosting, but it may still be ok for watching letterbox content (with black bars at top and bottom).

3D Glasses:
You will also need to own a pair of 3D glasses as I will not be shipping them with the unit.
The unit should support Sony TDG-BRXXX glasses, Panasonic TY-EW3DXXX glasses, 3D Vision glasses.
I may be able to add support for any other 3D glasses that include 4 token signalling (eg open right, close right, open left, close left) if anyone wants to supply a pair of such glasses for testing and analysis.
Additionally I have a custom designed firmware for some versions of the Panasonic glasses that totally eliminates resync issues reducing resync delay from 5 frames to 0 frames.
I may consider making a custom firmware for the sony glasses too, but they are harder to open and program. The pansonic glasses can be programmed through the USB port.

Computer requirements:
Now the best part, this system uses software page flipping in open gl directly so it doesn't require 3d vision or quad buffer opengl.
I have tested it in Windows and Linux.
It works extremely well on linux and you can easily run it from a bootable live usb drive. (occassional glasses resync that appears like you are blinking once every 5 mins or so when working properly).
It was working very well on windows about 3 months ago, but as of re-testing right now I am experiencing a large number of dropped frames for the software pageflipping on windows (I am looking into it currently)
A cheap laptop with AMD integrated graphics is sufficiently fast to perform the software page flipping at 120hz 1080p.
In theory one could use this system for 4k 120hz oled 3d output, however I don't have a video card capable of outputting 120hz 4k.
There is an issue I ran into with newer windows systems on AMD where it is not possible to disable ALLM (adaptive low latency mode) from the control panel.
There is a workaround for this but it requires using CRU tool to override the OLED's HDMI config to hide ALLM support from the computer. I can provide direction on how to do this if required.
This is not an issue with Linux as far as I can tell, and I don't think this is an issue for nvidia or intel either.
I hope to resolve the performance / dropped frame issue with windows (as it was working fine last time I tested 3 months ago) but if you want to beta test, using an ubuntu/debian live usb is probably preferable right now.

Hardware:
You will need to mount a tiny device on the top left of your TV screen, it will monitor signals embedded into the video feed that trigger the glasses.
I have done my best to try to alieviate burn in concerns by using soft edges and allowing configuration of the brightness for the embedded signal.
I have 3 devices I will be willing to ship out to beta testers (for their feedback and help) if they cover the cost of shipping via air mail.
If you have any python programming ability and are interested in adding functionality to the software that is a plus :)

Future plan:
My ultimate plan is to open source the following (in afew months).
1) Software for PC to play videos using software page flipping whilst embedding signals for tv mounted sensors.
2) Software for tv mounted sensor, based on atmega32u4 micro controller
3) (optional) open source firmware to replace that on sony and pansonic glasses to support improved interaction with software page flipping.
4) Hardware design for the tv mounted sensor including Gerber, BOM, etc.
5) Parametric 3D openscad designs for mounts to attach the tv sensors to various shapes and thickness of TV.
I also plan to put up a website (in afew months) where I will sell kits including the hardware and potentially even glasses with modified firmware.

Background:
I had been using a 3D DLP projector with 3d vision to watch movies but 3d vision isn't supported by new cards and if I'm not mistaken intel and amd also have offerings which are not supported any longer.
I also was using a 3D VIP hardware adapter for a while to convert SBS into 120 hz page flipped, but it wasn't working well with my new OLED TV.
So I've come up with the solution presented above.

If anyone has any questions let me know.
@peter64 Very interesting! Would like to contribute to that!

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”