How to play 3D games with Pico Neo 3 Link

b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

How to play 3D games with Pico Neo 3 Link

Post by b4thman »

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. I have just bought "Pico Neo 3 Link" headset (my 1st headset) and I read recently that it is possible to play 3D games using the HMD as if it was a dual monitor (or something like that) instad of using Nvidia 3D Vision glasses. I don't know if there is any guide about it.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Re: How to play 3D games with Pico Neo 3 Link

Post by whyme466 »

You will probably have to set up SteamVR, then download and use HelixVision, bo3b’s great app providing VR display of helixmod games. I had suggested that HelixVision include some type of direct (non-VR) display mode like you describe in the past, but bo3b felt the VR display was not costing much performance (I still feel direct 3D mode with no head tracking would have better performance).

If you use a wired connection to the headset, I recommend VR Wire II for cable management.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

I read something in the discord channel. Nothing about Direct Mode (that I remember).
I will try with Helixvision.

EDIT:

After some days using my headset (not with HelixVision) I have to say that I prefer to play with my Nvidia 3D Vision glasses and with my Dell S2716DG monitor. The optics of the headset, even being good, are still not good enough (some blurriness and small deformations) and produce eye tyreness soon, maybe also because of the source of light being so close to the eyes. Plus the discomfort of wearing about 620 gr on the head (specially now in summer) and not possible to see the real world.

Of course the potential of VR is great, and the experience of playing games like "Half Life Elyx" is a demosntration of what games will be in the future. Being inside the "MS Flight Simulator" cabin is also nice, but in this case I would prefer the idea of flying with Nvidia 3D Vision (pity that this simulator is not supported).

I value A LOT the confort when playing, and here Nvidia 3D Vision wins by far, plus the lack of blurriness, and of course I don't need so much power to run games. I can play Nvidia 3D Vision games for 2 hours without any problem, and that is not the case of VR (20 minutes and I need to stop).

I think Nvidia 3D Vision should have never stop evolving, and maybe today we could play with very tiny glasses, with zero ghosting, with a good headtraking system implemented, and with something like Geo-11 implemented natively in the driver.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
bathepleat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bathepleat »

The Discord channel had something I read. Helixvision is what I'll attempt.
drive mad
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stephanilope
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stephanilope »

you should set up SteamVR and use HelixVision. It includes several kinds of live display modes you desire slope ball
3dteevee2022
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dteevee2022 »

I have an Oculus DK2, CV1, and Quest 2 and I will say 3D in VR is a bad idea. Watching movies in VR is a bad idea. The heat, sweat, and weight make it uncomfortable for 3D gaming even on the DK2 which is lightest. It's fine for VR gaming, but those games are more like demos. But playing Skyrim or Fallout VR for 2 hour? Nope. With 3D Vision, I can play long in 3D for 6 hours and then the glasses feel uncomfortable. And there's no sweat. Just the weight on my nose which does away in minutes and I can play after eating a lunch for another 6 hours.
vr2000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vr2000 »

if you have a game that there's a 3dvision fix for, how do you make it work with a vr hmd?
i thought helixvision was the program to turn 3dvision into vr hmd compatible but it was taken from the steam store how do you get it anymore :cry:

do 3dvision fixes from helix blog also make vorpx more compatible or are they two totally different things?

these questions are not pico 4 specific but more about how do you get vr hmds like pico 4 working with 3dvision, how do they compare, etc
b4thman wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:26 am I read something in the discord channel. Nothing about Direct Mode (that I remember).
I will try with Helixvision.

After some days using my headset (not with HelixVision) I have to say that I prefer to play with my Nvidia 3D Vision glasses and with my Dell S2716DG monitor.
it is hard to find posts with comparison between vr and normal 3dvision but that is what i want to find out
i have a 2080ti but no 3dvision display or vr hmd, there is not much information on the differences

isnt 3dvision (like the kind with shutter glasses) limited to a lower resolution and refresh rate than vr hmd? or is there some projector or monitor that can do 4k@90/120hz?
and do vr hmds appear more 3d depth than 3dvision displays?

3dvision glasses are darkened like sunglasses i think ? would that make them look different/worse than a good vr hmd?

also has anyone compared 3dvision to better vr hmds like valve index or quest pro? (these are less compressed than quest 2 or pico 4 so they look more like a real monitor)
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

Nvidia 3D Vision glasses darken the image and that is a con, but when you play you get used to and it is not a big problem.
Nvidia 3D Vision glasses don't have resolution limit, they represent the resolution that the graphic card/monitor can handle, and you can even use DSR to render resolutions above (if your rig can).
Nvidia 3D Vision glasses have refresh rate limit (60 hz/eye), but that is not a problem. The problem is not to reach those 60 hz stable, because you get stuttering (if not disabled vsync). G-sync or Free-sync don't work with this tech.
A good VR HDM (PiIco 4 is a decent one) gives worse quality in my opinion, and not because the resolution but the sweet spot problem (related to lenses) and visual aberrations (minimal, but they don't existe with Nvidia 3D Vision).
But the big problem with VR HMD is the confort. I personaly can not play for more than 1 hour without having a little head ache produced by the permanent contact of "a thing" around my head. Another problem is that you are "out" of the world when yoy put on your VR HMD. And of course, you need A LOT of power to move a VR HMD game decently (compared to Nvidia 3d Vision).

In exchange, with VR HDM you get a big picture of the game, zero ghosting and zero darkening, but that is something that I can not prefer over the big lose of confort.

VR HMD, in my opinion, is for playing for shorts periods of time and experience a new way to play games, but that is all. I hope VR HMD will become the size of Nvidia 3D Vision glasses soon, and maybe it will be different.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
b4thman

Post by b4thman »

3DNovice wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:54 am
b4thman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:38 am A good VR HDM (PiIco 4 is a decent one) gives worse quality in my opinion, and not because the resolution but the sweet spot problem (related to lenses) and visual aberrations (minimal, but they don't existe with Nvidia 3D Vision).
You had a Pico Neo 3 Link, did you buy a Pico 4?
The Pico 4 has pancake lenses that offer a better field of clarity.
I had the opportunity to change Pico 3 Link and get Pico 4. The image of Pico 4 is a bit better (not too much), but still the same problems. With Pico 4 lenses you experience a "new" problem not present in Pico 3 Link..., and it is glare (and of course the lack of displayport). But the decissive problem is not the image quality, but the other things that I mentioned.

It is difficult to choose, but I think for PCVR users Pico Neo 3 Link is a better choice, rather than Pico 4. Displayport prevents other problems (less hardware demand and crisper image). But with both HMD you have to wear a heavy thing on your head. That is not a problem for 10 minutes gameplay, but it is a crucial problem for 1 hour gameplay.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”