Im new... Help!

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Im new... Help!

Post by BILDO »

Hello all.

I recently purchased the 61A750 Samsung DLP TV and was wanting to do 3D gaming.

My rig

AMD X2 +4200 939socket
3gig RAM
8800GT
Monitor: Benq fp93g-x (not a 120hert monitor)

I also have another 939 board with 2 gig of ram, barebone.

I was wondering to do the 3D on my TV, what do I need to know... should I hook up my current PC to my TV, or should I build a HTPC? Or should I just use my monitor for gaming?

I would like to do blu-ray movies, and could buy a blu-ray drive if that is possible.

I just dont know the best setup, I didnt know if I should buy the ddd.com glasses that samsung has put out or wait for the new Nvida option.

Im really lost. Help.
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Im new... Help!

Post by BILDO »

p.s. I have called Samsung support many times, nobody knows jack when it comes to this, and I cannot find a sole to talk to on the phone that can help me with this whole project.

I just want to make the best setup possible for gaming and movie watching.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Hi Bildo and welcome. Like you, I have a sammy HDTV and use it primarily as a gaming display with a few movies thrown in. The good news is that you couldn't have picked a better time to jump into 3D gaming! Why, because for the first time ever the consumer actually has a choice! The latest candy is Nvidia's Geforce 3D Vision kit that you have probably read about already. It seems like a good investment since you already have an Nvidia card and a DLP display. You can also purchase one of the kits from DDD but be aware that their game drivers need to support the titles you play. Last but definitely not least are the IZ3D drivers coupled with a decent set of shutterglasses. The latter is my current setup and it works fairly well. Use the search feature on this site as it is full of useful information. You may also want to check out http://www.3dflightsim.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for additional tutorials. Your rig may be a little on the weak side as the video card has to render two images at a time instead of one so you may also want to consider that investment. If this is important to you, IZ3D and AMD have a decent deal going on where if you buy an AMD/ATI video card you can get a DLP output for free.

Have fun!
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

Thx man.

I got 1 other question for you. If I buy the Nvida option, does it come with everything I need or do I have to make other purchases?
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

BILDO wrote:Thx man.

I got 1 other question for you. If I buy the Nvida option, does it come with everything I need or do I have to make other purchases?
From the reviews it looks like the kit has everything you need. Just keep in mind that a 40%-50% performance hit is typical when enabling 3D in games.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

Yeah, here is my rig.

AMD X2 +4800 (s939)
3Gig DDR
EVGA 8800gt

I might be screwed here.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

With that processor you have, you are of bottle necking your system. With the 8800 Video card, and that processor, you would probably get the same video performance if you only had a 7900 video card.

You would be fine if you get a new processor most likely, which would require a new motherboard because even the best socket939 chip you can buy, is not really good enough.

My most recent system I upgrated to a socket AM2 Motherboard for $99 and purchased a $160 quad core processor, then new ram for $70 and I still use a 7900 video card, but the performance was wayyyyy improved with the processor upgrade from my old S939 board
BILDO
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BILDO »

yeah, thats what I was afraid of...

Ill have to look into just building a new rig.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”