Is it normal to get 3D popping out of focus with Tridef?

link2020
One Eyed Hopeful

Is it normal to get 3D popping out of focus with Tridef?

Post by link2020 »

When playing games I've noticed a weird effect on my 2009 Samsung 3D DLP with DP Link glasses. The focus (spacing between the two images) sometimes loses the 3D effect for a fraction of a second. Typically happens when moving around in game.

Anyone else experience this? Is this just one of the drawbacks of active 3D?
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Re: Is it normal to get 3D popping out of focus with Tridef?

Post by Grant S »

This is something that I've noticed with a few Tridef games, Wasn't really an issue until recently, I've found that forcing Vsync on usually corrects it or at least minimizes the issue. No nothing to do with DLP, I see it on my passive as well as on my DLP projector and I think it's related to refresh rate. I forgot to force vsync on on this video of Flatout 2 in 3D. https://youtu.be/EcTYidiFtj0 If you notice there are a few areas that exhibit the momentary flashing as you describe.

Other games like Half Life 2, don't seem to have the issue at all. https://youtu.be/PuBQZVoMK1g
BTW, if you are a HL fan at all, don't miss the opportunity to play it in 3D with Tridef. NVidia 3D vision and IZ3D were once as good at HL2 in 3D but as the game aged so did the 3D quality for them.
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

One thing I hadn't thought about in a long time that was always the case with Tridef, it works well with Nvidia cards but really was better optimized for ATI/AMD cards. I did notice a lot of games that ran well in Tridef on my old R9390 didn't fare so well when I switched back to Nvidia for 3D vision. If someone is not using 3D vision and has access to an AMD card, that might be a better solution for Tridef
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

Update, after messing with it more. I find that more than anything else. Having the convergence and separation all the way up to 100 for no reason but habit is the cause for it on my set-up. I notice that games that exhibit those flashing issues, benefit little from the convergence and separation being much higher than 60-70 but carefully finding a spot where that flashing is gone totally gets rid of it during gameplay. A rare flash during movie sections now and then.

Return to “DDD Tridef Ignition Driver Forums”