3DMigoto dx9 ?

Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

3DMigoto dx9 ?

Post by Shift-E »

So I've seen a lot of posts about a port of 3DMigoto for dx9, but could not find any info on where to get it - tried various searches. I apologize if I missed something obvious, but was this project finished and working (it sounds like it was) - and where can I download it from?

I have a dx9 game I would like to hunt HUD shaders and either disable or set up a toggle for them. I am used to doing this in 3DMigoto for many dx11 games, so was hoping it would allow for a smooth transition to do the same with dx9 this way (I am not familiar with using Helix mod for dx9 at all). Thanks in advance for any pointers..
Losti
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: 3DMigoto dx9 ?

Post by Losti »

Migoto is for DX11 for DX9 you need Helix Mod:

DarkStarSword's binary patched version of the 140302 debug DLL:

Allows the LOG.txt to be opened while the game is running
32bit: https://github.com/DarkStarSword/3d-fix ... D/d3d9.dll
64bit: https://github.com/DarkStarSword/3d-fix ... 4/d3d9.dll

Guides and hints:

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-guides.html
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

I could have sworn that it was posted within the last month that the dx9 port to 3DMigoto was completed by DarkStarSword and someone else, that I can't remember.

I also thought that the post was made by DSS, but his posting history, only shows 2 posts in a Far Cry thread.

Anyhow, I can not find the post, but I swear, I read it

I think it was deleted/removed for whatever reason.

EDit: the other person working on the port is Davegl1234
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Ok, so I'm not completely losing my mind.

It turns out, the post was made on Discord and then quoted here.
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23400&p=176200#top
DJ-RK wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:27 pm I feel this is relevant to this conversation. I just asked on Discord about the future of 3DMigoto, and any plans for a DX12 capable version, and this is the answer I got from DarkStarSword:
DarkStarSword wrote:"DX12 will require some significant changes in 3DMigoto, though I'm actually hopeful that the 11on12 layer will allow us to port the command list and other features (e.g. I've already ported the overlay using it) with significantly less effort than would be required otherwise
For Windows store apps, check if the app shows up under Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps
Microsoft finally added an official way to mod UWP apps, though I believe they may have to opt in, so I'm not sure how universal that is, and I assume we will still need some changes in 3DMigoto to support keyboard + mouse (Xbox controller already works, as does 3DMigoto running from another directory)
Also the fact that we now have a DX9 port of 3DMigoto thanks to davegl1234 will hopefully make things a little easier to do the DX12 port.... however I still have to get around to properly merging that into master, so consider it still early days"
DJ-RK wrote:So, certainly no guarantee that it will come to fruition, but at least it's promising to know capable minds are thinking towards this and that we may one day be able to get this and a few other key titles fixed in 3D. Also DX9 3DMigoto!!!! Woohoo!
So, it seems that it is not quite yet ready

Edit: last update on GitHub
DarkStarSword wrote: DarkStarSword commented on Apr 8, 2020

As a little progress update, Davegl1234's DX9 port is now merged into the master branch. It still has some significant issues to resolve before it is ready for actual release, but there is progress being made on this front
quoted from https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/issues/21
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

thanks, I saw many of those same posts that were from a while ago - so was hoping it was complete.

I'll see if I can learn the old way of fixing dx9 HUD and if I struggle...I will wait for the dx9 port of 3DMigoto to officially release, as that should make it much easier for me.

Also - good to learn your true identity Dman11 :P I thought maybe we lost a good poster from the previous forums, "3DNovice" is veeeeeery misleading :mrgreen:
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Well the GitHub post is quite old.
I've no idea when the post was made on Discord, which was then quoted on this forum.

So for status, you'll need to ask the savior himself.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

Considering there's been absolutely no news on that, the DX12 wrapper, Tridef port, latest Nvidia drivers being redirected to use remaining Dx9 calls, etc, we can assume one of two things:

1) Progress is being made slowly, but silently
2) Some or all of these are abandonware

For me, personally, if I'm going to assume one or the other it has to be #2 for my own sanity, but will be pleasantly surprised otherwise. Of course, if any devs read this and are, in fact, still plugging away at any of these it would be nice for y'all to throw us a bone and keep a little bit of hype active. Or, the same if vice versa: if any projects have been abandoned or deemed unfeasible it would be nice to know that as well.
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

Losti wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am Migoto is for DX11 for DX9 you need Helix Mod:

DarkStarSword's binary patched version of the 140302 debug DLL:

Allows the LOG.txt to be opened while the game is running
32bit: https://github.com/DarkStarSword/3d-fix ... D/d3d9.dll
64bit: https://github.com/DarkStarSword/3d-fix ... 4/d3d9.dll

Guides and hints:

http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-guides.html
thanks for the DLL links, I noticed the download links were dead in the guide I was looking at earlier. So I followed the guide to disable effects, and it was super easy. I had to leave one of the HUD shaders active though, as otherwise it removes all menus in the game. So much better now! :D
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Shift-E wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:24 pm I noticed the download links were dead in the guide I was looking at earlier.
You can find the complete list on the wiki, as well as the supported features in each version of the wrapper from Helix.
http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=He ... _available.

Shift-E wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:24 pmSo I followed the guide to disable effects, and it was super easy. I had to leave one of the HUD shaders active though, as otherwise it removes all menus in the game. So much better now! :D
For anyone doing this, keep two things in mind.

1. The wrapper from Helixvision doesn't work on every game. You will need to try the different versions, until you get one that actually works in a particular game. User interaction may also be needed to make it work, such as associating it with a NVidia game profile that makes 3D engage, or making the game run in fullscreen via a launch command or config file edit.

2. When disabling a shader, it is almost always a PS shader that you'll want to use. Disabling a VS shader can often cause multiple undesirable affects, because VS shaders, typically control many sub shaders. So if you disable a VS shader in one scene it might look like all is well, but when you get later in the game, another PS Shader might need that VS shaders code to operate and thus fail.

There are two ways to disable a shader.

The quick and easy way
http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2012/04/ho ... -game.html
(note: I was told that this way can sometimes cause problems in the game, I'm unsure why)

The better/preferred method, is to make it invisible vs disabling it. As shown in Lesson 2 of the ShaderHacker School by bo3b
http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Bo ... derhackers
http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Le ... ble_effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yznX9IB ... e=youtu.be

Note: I am not a ShaderHacker, so please correct me if I am wrong or if provided any incorrect information
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

I have been waiting for DX9 3Dmigoto for more than a year, hoping to get it before the official Black Mesa release in March 2020. Mostly because of the ease of configuring the ini for hotkeys, profile settings, etc.

But in the end I had no option but using Helixmod to fix it (and other DX9 games in 2020, like Vanquish and TW101), and I learned some things like using scripts as some sort of regexes (DHR used it long before me). And now even in 2021 I'm starting to fix some more DX9 games :p.

What I don't like is not being able to dump and edit a shader without restarting the game, because it doesn't read any new shader files once the game is running.

That, and some pixel shaders using the damn "s13", making me use hundreds of shaders manually to use another slot and hundreds of sections in the ini, for Black Mesa, lol.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

@masterotaku or someone familiar with the wrapper from Helix.

Could you post the setting that needs to be made in the wrappers' ini when the DLL will load without crashing the game
and everything seems to work, but there is no red text overlay showing up? I remember it being talked about on the
old forums, but I can't find the post.

It would be very useful for someone that comes across this thread.
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

3DNovice wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:09 am Could you post the setting that needs to be made in the wrappers' ini when the DLL will load without crashing the game
and everything seems to work, but there is no red text overlay showing up?
Just for reference, here are the settings explained: http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=He ... ature_List

What you're looking for may be "OverrideMethod", but you should also look at the log to see what it says. Because it may be a game that needs "UseExtInterfaceOnly" or something.
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by DJ-RK »

masterotaku wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:38 pm What I don't like is not being able to dump and edit a shader without restarting the game, because it doesn't read any new shader files once the game is running.
I'm this 100%. The same thing with 3DMigoto texture overrides for forcing stereo/mono, though. I don't know how you have the patience for that. In fact, that's even worse in a sense because you have to restart every time you want to try a different stereo/mono setting for each texture override, whereas with HelixMod you only have to restart after you've dumped the shader and placed it into the shaderoverrides folder, you can then edit it and reload the shaders as many times as you want at that point (up until it's time to dump some more shaders, at least). But I digress, such is the cost of being able to perform these functions, not like our complaining about it is like to change anything, but it does feel good to vent and share about it.
3DNovice wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:09 am @masterotaku or someone familiar with the wrapper from Helix.

Could you post the setting that needs to be made in the wrappers' ini when the DLL will load without crashing the game
and everything seems to work, but there is no red text overlay showing up? I remember it being talked about on the
old forums, but I can't find the post.

It would be very useful for someone that comes across this thread.
Ok, first, are you talking about the red text overlay of the HelixMod wrapper, or Nvidia driver red text overlay that bitches about being in an incompatible resolution/refresh for 3D? If it's the former, then you're using the .dll for the developer mode version of HelixMod and instead you need to replace it with the release mode .dll. If you're referring to the latter (which I doubt) then that's a whole 'nother story which I won't get into right now.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Yes, that's it. Thanks for the replies

UseExtInterfaceOnly

This can be either true or false. This enables wrapping games that use the Direct3DCreate9Ex() call instead of the regular call.

If Helix mod does not work with a game and the LOG.txt contains only the following lines, you need this option:

Start logging..
Direct3DCreate9Ex Created

It is known to be necessary for newer Telltale games such as Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”