3DVision with DCH on laptop

Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

3DVision with DCH on laptop

Post by Darkbluesky »

Hi

I am trying to install and use 3DVision in the laptop but I do not work no matter what I try.

The laptop has a RTX2080Super and I use an external Asus 3DVision monitor PG258Q, connected to DisplayPort. I have followed the instructions found in these forums in some topics, but it does not work.

I can't install standard drivers, no matter what (of course using DDU, disabling internet, etc), so I install DCH. I do it using BringBack3DV, apparently it works, but the emitter is not correctly installed (the led does light up) or it lights up dull green, and when launching the NV CP test it shut off and 3D is not triggered.

I have read here that for some people it seems to work, but I have not seen details how to do... Someone has succeed with the DCH drivers on laptop?

I would be more than happy if someone could help me.

Thank you!
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: 3DVision with DCH on laptop

Post by Pauldusler »

Darkbluesky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 pm Hi

I am trying to install and use 3DVision in the laptop but I do not work no matter what I try.

The laptop has a RTX2080Super and I use an external Asus 3DVision monitor PG258Q, connected to DisplayPort. I have followed the instructions found in these forums in some topics, but it does not work.

I can't install standard drivers, no matter what (of course using DDU, disabling internet, etc), so I install DCH. I do it using BringBack3DV, apparently it works, but the emitter is not correctly installed (the led does light up) or it lights up dull green, and when launching the NV CP test it shut off and 3D is not triggered.

I have read here that for some people it seems to work, but I have not seen details how to do... Someone has succeed with the DCH drivers on laptop?

I would be more than happy if someone could help me.

Thank you!
Have you tried 3D Fix Manager yet? It install the 3D Vision driver for you + IR emitter driver. Just click on the "Driver" tab and check the driver health: http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2017/05/3d ... nager.html
Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Yes, is my preferred way of installing it in the desktop, but it does not install the DCH drivers, and the standard ones can't be installed in the laptop...

I only have the laptop now...
bo3bber
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by bo3bber »

There will be a bug in the most recent version of 3DFM where it will always try to install the Standard driver even for laptop, and will fail.

We've looked into it, and will be making a new build for 3DFM/HelixVision that will always install whatever type you've got, when running a laptop. So if you have DCH, you'll get DCH 452.06. For Desktop, we will always try to convert to Standard as the best experience, and no known failure modes.
Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Hi, thanks. I don't know how, I installed the DCH and then used 3DFM to install the 3D driver (as before), et voilà! 3D working in the monitor, from laptop, through USB-C to DP. Wonderful!

I see that the 3DFM v1.8 installs the last working DCH driver. Finally, I have let 3DFM to install both, the DCH and the 3D one, and it works. Thanks for this application. I would have not kept on 3Dstereo without it: currently I have too little free time to tweak things around, and it have saved me a lot of times. Thanks!

Aside of the delay of 3-4 seconds in some windows screens (settings...) or other programs (need to have 3D disabled for normal work then), I have a problem: NV CP seems to have read only rights regarding the registry. I can't change any settings in the 3DStereo tab, (like separation, or 3D Discover, or advanced controls), I change anything, I hit Apply and they revert to defaults...

I think it is registry permissions because I have tried with Advanced3DVConfig and I have to run with administrator privileges in order to run it and be able to change anything... Are you aware of that? Do you have idea how to solve it? Running CP form start menu with administrator rights, do not solve it. Maybe is my registry keys that have some restricted access for some reason ?

EDIT: Aside of the previous effects, I have just seen that with 3D enabled is not possible to drag & drop the start menu "boxes" around to arrange it...they just disappear if you try to drag them.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am I think it is registry permissions because I have tried with Advanced3DVConfig and I have to run with administrator privileges in order to run it and be able to change anything... Are you aware of that? Do you have idea how to solve it? Running CP form start menu with administrator rights, do not solve it. Maybe is my registry keys that have some restricted access for some reason ?
Changing registry keys generally require admin privileges. That's the reason why Advanced3DVConfig only works when you grant admin rights manually by right clicking -> run as admin. 3DFM claims admin rights automatically on startup to simplify the process.
Make sure you don't have "Lock Registry Key" enabled in Advanced3DVConfig because it removes write permissions for the "System" user which means that the Nvidia driver can't write to the registry any more. Nvidia Control Panel can't save settings persistently then...
Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am Aside of the delay of 3-4 seconds in some windows screens (settings...) or other programs (need to have 3D disabled for normal work then)
Yeah that's the drawback of using DCH drivers but you have no other choice on your laptop. On default drivers the lag wouldn't happen. I would recommend to turn off 3D whenever not needed.
Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am EDIT: Aside of the previous effects, I have just seen that with 3D enabled is not possible to drag & drop the start menu "boxes" around to arrange it...they just disappear if you try to drag them.
Not happening here. Maybe another issue with DCH drivers?! I have default drivers installed and use "StartIsBack" which is an alternative start menu for Windows 10 which looks like the one of Windows 7. I haven't seen those annoying "boxes" since years :->.
Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:36 am Thanks for this application. I would have not kept on 3Dstereo without it: currently I have too little free time to tweak things around, and it have saved me a lot of times. Thanks!
You're welcome. That's exactly the reason I developed 3DFM to save time and open up 3D for most people who are interested. Even when people think they are pros and don't need 3DFM it turns out we are just humans... we forget how we fixed a problem in the past and re-invest much time to find the same solution again. Having those things automated is much more efficent. Finally we want to have fun and play in 3D and not waste life time for weird issues.
Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Thanks for your reply. Advanced3DVConfig has not enabled the "Lock Registry Key" (I have checked and unchecked, just in case). NV CP still is not able to save settings... I think if that's another problem of DCHs. It would be fine if someone on DCHs could confirm it.

Yes, the start menu problem was not there when I was using the desktop, I guess is a DCH thing too.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Darkbluesky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:07 pm Thanks for your reply. Advanced3DVConfig has not enabled the "Lock Registry Key" (I have checked and unchecked, just in case). NV CP still is not able to save settings... I think if that's another problem of DCHs. It would be fine if someone on DCHs could confirm it.

Yes, the start menu problem was not there when I was using the desktop, I guess is a DCH thing too.
Yes, I am running DCH drivers on my Alienware Area 51m Laptop since I bought it. (The Standard drivers don't have the HW-ID for my GPU and I can't be bothered to mod every new standard driver to support it ^_^. I have modded 452.06 for my Alienware M17 - with an 880M which has a native 3D Vision Ready built-in display, on which they dropped support in 2019 - Funny, the 860M is still supported, but not the 880M - Guess they didn't sell a lot of laptops with 880Ms ^_^).

Anywho, I am running DCH drivers - 452.06 - I have used 3D Fix Manager to install 3D Vision driver. I can set any values (separation, and shortcut keys from 3DFM) and they are stored. My Windows user has Administrator rights. I don't have any issues with using the DCH 452.06 driver with 3D Vision (using an external DP-to-DVI adapter and 3D Vision Ready Monitor) or on my Alienware m17 (with built-in 3D Vision Ready Display).
(I know.. clunky as hell...but let's thank NVIDIA for their approach regarding LOCKED DOWN 3D VISION ^_^)

Not sure how much this helps, but maybe?! :lol:

Cheers,
Helifax
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

Thanks for commenting. Do you know some guide to modify the driver (I guess an inf file...) to be able to install the standard drivers? Its a pita do it for each driver update, I guess, but maybe could help.

I have also administrator rights, I have tried to set run as admin in CP executable, and giving Total control to permissions of 3DVision registry folder/keys...no luck. I have installed the same way than you, but still not able to set them. It is strange because other settings, mot 3DVision related, are saved. Even activating 3DVision from NV CP works normally (with DCH delay, but it works). Only separation, type of screen or hotkeys are not saved...
Darkbluesky
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darkbluesky »

I could not save any setting in 3D, no matter if from 3DFixManager, NV CP, Advanced3DVision, even Ctrl+F7 ingame: any of them will save settings. Some apps (3DFM or Advanced3DVision tool seems to save it, but then you launch the game and they are not really saved.

Nobody has this problem? Some idea I could test? I have found similar behaviour on old threads regarding NV CP 3D settings (but no 3DVision), anyway they have not worked. I tried DDU, but no luck. Maybe if I could install Standard drivers (modding inf file, how?) I would have more chance...

Any suggestion is welcome... Thanks!
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

helifax wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:01 pm I don't have any issues with using the DCH 452.06 driver with 3D Vision (using an external DP-to-DVI adapter and 3D Vision Ready Monitor) or on my Alienware m17 (with built-in 3D Vision Ready Display).
Hi Helifax - can you tell me which adapter you are using? Exact brand + model? Do you have any issues with it?

thx
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Hi, got your PM.

I am using an Accell (Rev A2-3.0) Dual Link DVI to Display Port. This is a pretty old revision. I know there is a newer revision that doesn't work. I had a couple of them and returned them both since they weren't working. (I think they were Rev A3).
The Club3D adapters (I have 2) seem to work perfectly fine! (If you still manage to find them).

Besides that, you need to make sure that DP is connected to the GPU and not the intel one. So, if you have optimus this might not work - unless you can disable optimus on the Laptop (lots of laptops now have a muxer or ability to disable it).
If you have a GSYNC capable laptop (like in my case) then everything connects to the Nvidia GPU and the intel GPU is never in use - hence why the battery lasts like 1.5 hours or so.

Hope this answer your question :)

Cheers!

PS: On my Asus monitor I had to "activate" it in 3D mode before. Meaning I had to connect it to the PC on an older GPU directly on the DVI port and activate 3D Vision, in order to send the magic packet to the Monitor so it switches in 3D. If I don't do this, the monitor never goes into 3D mode when 3D Vision is active. Then I can safely connect it to the Laptop. The monitor will remember it's activation as long as it's plugged in (no power loss).
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Ah, fantastic, thanks. I am not trying to do this on a laptop, just regular PC.

I tried this VisionTek 900639 one, it worked ok in 2d but not in 3d, I guess it doesn't have enough MHz to match the required pixel clock.

I will see if I can hunt down the models you mentioned. Would you mind providing the exact model # of the Club3D one? Thx
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
djb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djb »

Lysander wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:11 am Ah, fantastic, thanks. I am not trying to do this on a laptop, just regular PC.

I tried this VisionTek 900639 one, it worked ok in 2d but not in 3d, I guess it doesn't have enough MHz to match the required pixel clock.

I will see if I can hunt down the models you mentioned. Would you mind providing the exact model # of the Club3D one? Thx
This brings back memories! Afraid I can't be of help currently, as I don't have any of this equipment any more, but there was some discussion in the NV Surround Forum, 6 and 4 years ago that might be of some help. I do recall I was able to get my monitors working "for a while" in 3D when I had the powered adapters plugged in to 2.4 amp Ipad power adapters... Again, might not be applicable, as I was fiddling with surround, but might be something of use in there as Helifax was there helping me on this back then too :) Your comment re: pixel clock jogged my ol memory.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... -solution/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... -problems/
djb
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djb »

And, fwiw, this was the adapter I was "kinda" successful with:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

And Helifax's old tutorial:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... to-dl-dvi/
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Yeah, the Club3D CAC-1051 - I saw that model, but couldn't find it for sale - I'll do more searching. Same with the Bizlink BZL-KS10008 (though I read some ppl said it doesn't work) and Acell that Helifax mentioned. It's crazy these things are so hard to find.

There are a few new PG278QRs available in my area but I really hate the idea of ditching a perfectly fine ASUS VG278H and having to buy separate 3D kit... :( An adapter would be the ideal solution if I want to upgrade my video card.
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Lysander wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:06 pm Yeah, the Club3D CAC-1051 - I saw that model, but couldn't find it for sale - I'll do more searching. Same with the Bizlink BZL-KS10008 (though I read some ppl said it doesn't work) and Acell that Helifax mentioned. It's crazy these things are so hard to find.

There are a few new PG278QRs available in my area but I really hate the idea of ditching a perfectly fine ASUS VG278H and having to buy separate 3D kit... :( An adapter would be the ideal solution if I want to upgrade my video card.
Honestly?

I still have 3x ASUS VG278H and 3x Samsung 2233rz (original V1 3D Vision Monitors - at 1650x1050). Yes, I have used 3D Vision since 2012 when it was introduced and I was able to buy the monitors ;)

When I moved to the 2080Ti (NO DVI connectors) I had to buy 3x active adapters... then I had to do the "activation trick" I mentioned before on each monitor. After all that, sometimes one of the monitor would not sync right, or display wrong. I had to press the power button off/on again and maybe it will work. I remember, starting a game in 3D Surround was taking me around 5 minutes - not to mention the stuuuuuutttteeerrrrring introduced by the adapter x3 for 3 monitors... basically 1 minute of waiting due to WDM stuttering before I got in game and saw if the monitors, emitter and glasses are in sync... 80% of the time it worked fine - just wait 1 minute of stutter and good to go... but 20% of the time, I had to restart the game, power off/on the monitors etc.. hence the 5 minutes...

Now, this issue is NOT as GRAVE as with 3D Surround.... (I think they didn't do anything in the driver for 3D Surround from 2013-2014 :lol: ) But, it is visible on a single monitor + active adapter. PLUS you also need the "activation hack"!

My honest opinion is to GRAB A DISPLAY supports 3D VISION NATIVELY OVER DISPLAY-PORT! Sell the DVI Asus monitor on e-bay or keep it :D (I kept mine for Surround and the idea that one day I might play all the awesome "retro" games in gorgeous 3D Surround! I mean Hellblade, Mass Effect Andromeda and countless others are just pure breath-taking! But, I also have the knowledge and the patience to run an "obsolete" setup like that).

So... Instead of paying 100$ or so on an adapter that "gets the job done", I would just buy a proper 3D Vision monitor over DP and forget about it :)

Cheers!

3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

If I were you, I'd step up and buy the 1440P monitor and a new emitter or kit. Then also an adapter for the old monitor.

You'll be out some cash, but 1440P is beautiful. You'll be amazed at the fidelity increase, so if you can still get a PG278QR, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

Then grab an adapter, to play power hungry games with bad optimization on the old 1080P monitor.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

yeah, I see what you're saying guys. The adapter is quite expensive and if it's still finicky (and available), it doesn't make much sense to invest in it... I just really dislike abandoning perfectly capable components :(

Helifax, so you're saying in order for 3D to kick-in, you had to plug it into DVI first before switching to DP?! I wouldn't even be able to do that lol, I don't have 2 running computers (and I'm not going to set that up lol)

Regarding PG278QR - I know 1440 is its native res, but it being 27", I thought I could even run it at 1080 and it would look similar to my current VG278H, but reading this thread https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... 3d-vision/ I see that apparently ULMB mode cannot activate at 1080 and it is required for correct brightness and generally better stereo. In other words, I NEED to run at 1440. Correct?

Or maybe I should stop focusing on games that I CAN'T run and enjoy the many games in my backlog that I CAN run :D This will require a lot of thinking...
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

So I bought the USB C to Dual Link DVI adapter and can confirm it works, see my post at
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=25684&p=177629#p177629
helifax wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:33 am PS: On my Asus monitor I had to "activate" it in 3D mode before. Meaning I had to connect it to the PC on an older GPU directly on the DVI port and activate 3D Vision, in order to send the magic packet to the Monitor so it switches in 3D. If I don't do this, the monitor never goes into 3D mode when 3D Vision is active. Then I can safely connect it to the Laptop. The monitor will remember it's activation as long as it's plugged in (no power loss).
Huge thanks to Helifax for posting this, otherwise I would have likely just returned it as a failed experiment, never knowing that it required a workaround and wasn't simply plug and play.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Oh, ok, that's pretty good then, because these proper 3D DP->DVI adapters are nowhere to be found. but this still requires me to have a 2nd RUNNING 3dv-ready PC with DVI output lol. I can't be doing that. But I guess it's an option

So how is the image, consistency, etc. in gaming - no difference from true DVI?

thanks for reporting!
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Lysander wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:48 pm So how is the image, consistency, etc. in gaming - no difference from true DVI?
The image looks like crappy, I forgot how ugly my 1080P monitor was, 1440P with it's higher DPI is drastically better imo

Overall, I didn't do very much testing, I just bought the adapter so I could swap from 1440P to 1080P if a game is too demanding with low frame rates.

I'd say that everything looks OK, I didn't spend any time on dialing in all the settings such as brightness, sharpness, color temps, gamma, etc...
I just wanted to confirm it works.

If you can't find the other adapter, try going to the manufacturer site and selecting "where to buy"
Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Yeah, I just meant does it look the same as via DVI connection.

What is your 1440 monitor? You can't set it to 1080 because ULMB won't turn on, like on PG278QR?
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

It's a PG278QR, I can set it to 1080, but it doesn't look very good imo, the image is soft/not as crisp
imo, using the VG278H in it's "native" 1080P is a better solution for monitor use, since I have it.
I also have projectors, but find a monitor more convenient.
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

So other than resolution, how do other things compare? Is there anything worse in PG278QR vs VG278H? I read in some of the threads that some ppl were complaining about crosstalk (not necessarily vs VG278H), but theres already crosstalk in VG278H so as long as it's not worse, I'd be ok with that. I suppose ghosting is also not any worse?

Do you experience any blackouts or signal loss or artifacts on the usbc adapter?

Sorry for bombarding you with all the questions but u have the exact same monitor as me and switched to one I'm considering so almost the same situation :)

Thx for all the info
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Sure, you take a performance hit with a 1440P monitor, but with the additional pixels resolving edges in images, the fidelity is a big step up from the same DPI on a 27 inch 1080P monitor.

As far as the adapter, my testing was brief. I've already put the monitor back in the storage shed.

The drop outs were only when loading programs/games while 3D was set to on in the NVCP, once loaded, they were fine.

No artifacts, but maybe some gamma issues, I'm not sure, I did not test it extensively.

It doesn't seem like an adapter is a great solution, but it is better than nothing.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”