Mafia: Definitive Edition (full remake DX11)

Shift-E
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Mafia: Definitive Edition (full remake DX11)

Post by Shift-E »

Mafia: Definitive Edition released today, and the visuals are pretty impressive...especially at night. I never played the original, but always heard how it was a masterpiece of writing and story telling so I decided to pick it up. It's DX11 and 3D kicks in, with some shaders broken (lights/etc). I tried out Superdepth3D reshade and it works well, BUT man this game would look amazing with real 3D. Figured I'd post to see if this game interests any of our shaderhackers. I would definitely put this game on ice if so, and donate of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14O0xlJ4P0Q
DJ-RK
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Mafia: Definitive Edition (full remake DX11)

Post by DJ-RK »

I looked at both Mafia II: DE and Mafia III recently, couldn't manage to fix shadows in either and therefore didn't bother trying anything else because without correct shadows no point looking at anything else. I lost interest after spending at least a couple hours on each title without correct result, and likely won't bother to make further attempts, but I'll document a few notes that may be useful to others that might want to attempt (or make any suggestions that I might not have thought of).

-Unsurprisingly, both games shaders had similarities (with M3 being much more complex, of course, but still following the same initial handling of it's coordinates), so I'm pretty confident that a) Mafia 1: DE is going to be the same deal, and b) the same general approach to fixing will be the same for all 3 titles.

-M2:DE has shader headers, M3 does not (so would be adviseable to start on M2 and then hopefully adapt the fix to M3 with less information at the ready)

-The correct fix SHOULD be extremely easy. Here is the line of HLSL code from the M2 shader (which occurs before a shadow map matrix multiply) that other shaderhackers will likely recognize the significance of: r1.xyz = v2.xyz * r0.xxx + g_CameraOrigin.xyz; This means the coordinate is a world space coordinate, and should simply need a conversion to clip space, fix, convert back to world space.

-The shader even has the following two matrices available: g_WorldViewProj and g_InvWorldViewProj which should make the translation to clip space and back ez pz, but no dice (these probably are using model space as the start/end point, not world space). Even just translating the coordinate to clip and back to world using these (without doing anything else) will cause the shader to fail to render.

-Found a ViewProjMat in another shader, copied that into the shader, and using that (and using matrix.hlsl to inverse) does work for translating, but the stereo fix doesn't fix it... it does cause the shadows to stereoize, just not correctly (and yes, I've even split the above line of code up to separate the v2.xyz * r0.xxxx and + g_CameraOrigin.xyz, so the g_CameraOrigin is added after the fix).

-It feels like maybe it needs an FOV multiplier, or division by W during the translations or fix, or something like that since shadows would separate more or less depending on their distance from the camera... I think. My memory is a little bit hazy on this, but that's how I think I remember it. I don't think I could find any projection or inverse projection matrices to derive an FOV multiplier from. I don't think I specifically searched for them, but I definitely didn't come across any naturally.

-M2 doesn't use compute shaders, so pretty sure StereoFlagsDX10 driver flag has no impact. Didn't try testing anything other than StereoTextureEnable = 23 (I don't have the patience for testing driver profile stuff. Never have, never will!).

I think that's all I got. Sadly I didn't nail the fix myself, but I hope that helps someone (especially since I'd like to play M3 someday).
maddcatt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maddcatt »

Please great masters, fix the game for us 3D noobs and novices.
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

Here are a few CMU shots... not too bad (Mafia 3 profile.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by thebigdogma on Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigdogma
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by thebigdogma »

And a few geometry shots with low separation/high convergence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maddcatt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maddcatt »

The game does not look bad but the broken shaders if fixed will make this an amazing 3D game. I hope some of the awesome experts can fix them soon. Thank you, sirs!!
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

DJ-RK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm I looked at both Mafia II: DE and Mafia III recently, couldn't manage to fix shadows in either and therefore didn't bother trying anything else because without correct shadows no point looking at anything else. I lost interest after spending at least a couple hours on each title without correct result, and likely won't bother to make further attempts, but I'll document a few notes that may be useful to others that might want to attempt (or make any suggestions that I might not have thought of).
Thanks for the info DJRK but yep sadly, the engine used till MAFIA 3 seems to be a Big PITA as none of the 2 greats shaderhackers, DHR & DJRK were able to fix it...

Masterotaku said once he will looking at it so it would be nice to have his opinion with this engine before buring definitly it with the non fixable engines...

It would awesome to replay the Legend MAFIA I in proper 3D 8)
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

DJ-RK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm -The correct fix SHOULD be extremely easy. Here is the line of HLSL code from the M2 shader (which occurs before a shadow map matrix multiply) that other shaderhackers will likely recognize the significance of: r1.xyz = v2.xyz * r0.xxx + g_CameraOrigin.xyz; This means the coordinate is a world space coordinate, and should simply need a conversion to clip space, fix, convert back to world space.
Sounds like fun :). I always try to fix things without using conversions, and most of the time I can, but there are some games (or engines) where I just can't find an alternative (like some shaders you fixed in FFXV).
DJ-RK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pmI don't think I could find any projection or inverse projection matrices to derive an FOV multiplier from. I don't think I specifically searched for them, but I definitely didn't come across any naturally.
Now that sucks. Some of my most annoying and time wasting experiences were from when I couldn't find the FOV value.
DJ-RK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm-M2 doesn't use compute shaders, so pretty sure StereoFlagsDX10 driver flag has no impact.
Not talking about these Mafia games, but the value 0x00001000 has helped me in games without compute shaders where some depth targets weren't stereoized. Two examples: one side haloing on water in Yakuza 0, bloom in Star Ocean 4. When there are games that have compute shaders, that's how I get the typical 0x00005008 combination.

Chtiblue wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 am Masterotaku said once he will looking at it so it would be nice to have his opinion with this engine before buring definitly it with the non fixable engines...
I know I said that (and it's still in my plans), but I always get caught into something more interesting (for my tastes). Anyway, the game may be hard to fix as DJ-RK said, so the more training I get, the lower the chances of me getting stuck, like I was with FFXV for almost two years. Right now I'm focused on The Surge 2 and I temporarily ditched the Dead Rising update I was planning before the Vulkan wrapper/driver release. After those two. I'm not sure what I'll do. I have to check my backlog.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Thanks for the news Masterotaku!
maddcatt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maddcatt »

masterotaku wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:17 am
DJ-RK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm -The correct fix SHOULD be extremely easy. Here is the line of HLSL code from the M2 shader (which occurs before a shadow map matrix multiply) that other shaderhackers will likely recognize the significance of: r1.xyz = v2.xyz * r0.xxx + g_CameraOrigin.xyz; This means the coordinate is a world space coordinate, and should simply need a conversion to clip space, fix, convert back to world space.
Sounds like fun :). I always try to fix things without using conversions, and most of the time I can, but there are some games (or engines) where I just can't find an alternative (like some shaders you fixed in FFXV).
DJ-RK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pmI don't think I could find any projection or inverse projection matrices to derive an FOV multiplier from. I don't think I specifically searched for them, but I definitely didn't come across any naturally.
Now that sucks. Some of my most annoying and time wasting experiences were from when I couldn't find the FOV value.
DJ-RK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm-M2 doesn't use compute shaders, so pretty sure StereoFlagsDX10 driver flag has no impact.
Not talking about these Mafia games, but the value 0x00001000 has helped me in games without compute shaders where some depth targets weren't stereoized. Two examples: one side haloing on water in Yakuza 0, bloom in Star Ocean 4. When there are games that have compute shaders, that's how I get the typical 0x00005008 combination.

Chtiblue wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 am Masterotaku said once he will looking at it so it would be nice to have his opinion with this engine before buring definitly it with the non fixable engines...
I know I said that (and it's still in my plans), but I always get caught into something more interesting (for my tastes). Anyway, the game may be hard to fix as DJ-RK said, so the more training I get, the lower the chances of me getting stuck, like I was with FFXV for almost two years. Right now I'm focused on The Surge 2 and I temporarily ditched the Dead Rising update I was planning before the Vulkan wrapper/driver release. After those two. I'm not sure what I'll do. I have to check my backlog.
Thank you very much, sir. I look forward to playing this game once awesome people like yourself get around to fixing it.
Kermitou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kermitou »

Cross the fingers to play the trilogy in 3D vision, the remake of the 1st one is very good quoted, a new top game, thanks Masterotaku if you could do the job ;-)
a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

maddcatt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am
masterotaku wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:17 am

Thank you very much, sir. I look forward to playing this game once awesome people like yourself get around to fixing it.

Have you tried running the game with the Mafia 3 profile (regular, not “definitive edition”)?
If you run the game with that profile (as it uses the same graphics engine) it will look a lot better. Not sure if it’s perfect but I have played it in 3D with this profile selected and looks great!
floph
Cross Eyed!

Post by floph »

a31632 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:08 pm Have you tried running the game with the Mafia 3 profile (regular, not “definitive edition”)?
If you run the game with that profile (as it uses the same graphics engine) it will look a lot better. Not sure if it’s perfect but I have played it in 3D with this profile selected and looks great!
Sorry for asking a noob question, but what exactly are these profiles and how can they be changed ?
Thank you !
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

floph wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 am
a31632 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:08 pm Have you tried running the game with the Mafia 3 profile (regular, not “definitive edition”)?
Sorry for asking a noob question, but what exactly are these profiles and how can they be changed ?
Thank you !
From a semi-noob to a noob: Download a thing called NVIDIA Profile Inspector (also comes with 3D Fix Manager under the Tools folder). When you open it up, select "Mafia III" from the long list and in there add the Mafia executable file to the list by clicking the "Add application to current profile" button. I don't know if you have to remove the exe from the original (Mafia) profile - try it if it doesn't work.

At least I think that's what they mean by using different profiles :D I had to do that for one of my games, I think it was a demo where I added the demo exe to the game's profile and it kicked the 3D in. Just trying to help. Hope it works, cheers.
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

Lysander wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:24 am
floph wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:44 am
Thank you !
From a semi-noob to a noob: Download a thing called NVIDIA Profile Inspector (also comes with 3D Fix Manager under the Tools folder). When you open it up, select "Mafia III" from the long list and in there add the Mafia executable file to the list by clicking the "Add application to current profile" button. I don't know if you have to remove the exe from the original (Mafia) profile - try it if it doesn't work.

At least I think that's what they mean by using different profiles :D I had to do that for one of my games, I think it was a demo where I added the demo exe to the game's profile and it kicked the 3D in. Just trying to help. Hope it works, cheers.

Yes, correct, this is how to do it.
Just make sure you don’t add the “launcher.exe” to it but the actual exe file.
You don’t have to delete anything as the “launcher.exe” is attached to the profile for the “definitive edition”.

Works great for me, been playing a lot and looks pretty good to me
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Yep very good
Shift-E

Post by Shift-E »

paulbanks wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:27 am What do you think about this remake overall? Is it worth buying? I am still considering it.
I never played the original, so i enjoyed it a lot. The gameplay is dated for sure, gunplay, linear design etc...but the story writing, cutscenes and characters are extremely well done. It was actually refreshing to play in a big world with none of the usual open world bloat (its just main missions one after the other). And mafia always has the best driving physics for open world games, that remains the same here. In fact I would pay to have mafia driving physics DLC for Cyberpunk! I see it on sale constantly, definitely recommend it if you watch the videos and think its something you'd like...Superdepth 3D was key...
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

So if I understand correctly, Mafia DE works well in CM using Mafia 3 profile?
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
a31632
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by a31632 »

skyrimer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:36 pm So if I understand correctly, Mafia DE works well in CM using Mafia 3 profile?
Yes, I guess CM isn't referring to Helifax' CM "fix"? I just use the profile from Mafia III and attach the executable to it and it runs perfectly. I don't use the CM created by Helifax, just "Profile Inspector" and attach it to a different profile.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boblenon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Boblenon »

sales at 67% on steam games is beautiful in CMODE
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

I got the game from Humble Choice. I'll fix it in the short-medium term. I'm busy with God of War right now, and I have a PCSX2 update pending to finish, among other things.
Kermitou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kermitou »

wouah...great news 😊
Boblenon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Boblenon »

I am surprised by the good quality of realization of the city, street details, level modeling. it's very alive. we're on a 20s vibe and we want to drive cars which has never before
Boblenon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Boblenon »

the default, the story is very short :-/
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

I started fixing it yesterday and the fix is progressing well. I've fixed shadows, screen space shadows, most lighting, TAA, decals, sun and some clouds position, added dynamic crosshair, etc. Currently dealing with multiple compute shaders that are in charge of some dark ambient occlusion, and screen space reflections.
Last edited by masterotaku on Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SawyerTom
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SawyerTom »

Great news masterotaku ! and one again, thank you very much for spending a lot of time for us !
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Wonderful news masterotaku, actually I've just send you and Losti a litle coin, as a small token to show my appreciation :)

Are you by any chance concidering fixing M2-3 ?
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:59 am Are you by any chance concidering fixing M2-3 ?
Yes. I don't know if right away after the first game, or with some games in the middle, but eventually I'll fix the definitive edition of the three games. They also use the same engine, so we'll see how much the fix for the first game helps the others.
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Happy days awaits us - Thanks :woot
SawyerTom
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SawyerTom »

Hello !!
Does it look good Masterotaku ? ^^

thanks a lot again for your work!!
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

SawyerTom wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:26 am Does it look good Masterotaku ? ^^
I got distracted by other pending things and emulators, but I didn't forget about this. About the number of effects... I've probably fixed >80-90% of them. But what remains is of very high difficulty to fix (some compute shaders related to ambient occlusion and lighting, screen space reflections, water).
SawyerTom
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SawyerTom »

Thank you for your reply!! :D
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Any news worth sharing, masterotaku ?

Absolutely no pressure meant, just hopeful and curious :)
SawyerTom
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SawyerTom »

Same here!
i refresh Helix Mod website few times per days :D ^^
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

No news yet. Don't refresh the helixmod page just for this, because you'll know when it's coming first here or in discord :p. I'm still with Persona 5 Strikers (my main distraction) and doing some other stuff at the same time, so I didn't finish this yet.
I haven't touched the game for some time. But I'm not giving up or anything like that.

I guess I can post a WIP fix at some point. But it isn't ready for that yet.
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Just wanted to ask if this fix is still being worked on masterotaku? I am contemplating if I should play the game on my Steam Deck/2D PC next? If this one is still in your schedule this would be a cardinal sin, of course. But in case you abandoned work on this fix I wouldn't mind to finally play it in 2D. :-)
masterotaku
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by masterotaku »

lohan wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:38 pm Just wanted to ask if this fix is still being worked on masterotaku? I am contemplating if I should play the game on my Steam Deck/2D PC next? If this one is still in your schedule this would be a cardinal sin, of course. But in case you abandoned work on this fix I wouldn't mind to finally play it in 2D. :-)
Between work stuff and dedicating time to improve some existing fixes (more Halo MCC polishing coming tomorrow), I got really busy and distracted from this. Would you be fine with a work in progress fix if I post it tomorrow? It would still be incomplete, but I guess better than waiting another few weeks/months (for you at least).
lohan
Cross Eyed!

Post by lohan »

Wow, that's a generous offer. Thanks! I am not in a hurry with the game. I really just wanted to know if you are still interested in fixing it or if you abandoned the project. So if the fix is still on your schedule I will gladly wait for the full fix. If things are leaning more in the direction that there won't be a final fix I would most definitely love to play the game with your wip fix!
Blacksmith60

Post by Blacksmith60 »

I agree with lohan, as long I know you'll fix it at some point, I'm happy with that...

The Mafia serie is one of my absolute favorites, particular 1+2, so I'll patiently await news from you masterotaku - thanks :3D

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”