how do I record steteoscopic 3D gameplay in SBS or O/U

narhicfd
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

how do I record steteoscopic 3D gameplay in SBS or O/U

Post by narhicfd »

How do I record Steteoscopic Gameplay in Side-by-Side or Top and Bottom?? I was trying to record gameplay using Bandicam in SBS mode but always came out in 2D and not in a side by side format to upload on youtube. Can I even use Bandicam or does it have to be something else?
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Re: how do I record steteoscopic 3D gameplay in SBS or O/U

Post by Lizzard »

You need to use Geforce Experience. I've also been making Youtube videos since the beginning of this year. You can record Frame Sequential or SBS. But when you record SBS you have to deactivate 3dVision in the control panel cause you will get 4 perspectives.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

When I first received my new Nvidia card and installed it into my desktop, I only chose to install the newest Geforce "display driver" without the inclusion of the full " Geforce Experience". I new I would be installing the 3D fix manager afterwards, which included the the 3D vision display driver hack(to work with my Windows 10 version 1903).I thought not having the full " Geforce Experience" installed might help in keeping unwannted stuff downloaded and installed on my computer from Nvidia that could lead to possible conflicts with the display driver hack. All that being said, I don't have ShadowPlay, which what I'm assuming your meaning, installed.
Now, all this was done by my thinking, not any recommendation from anyware. If, however, anyone out there who's using the 3D fix manager and the full Geforce Experience together without probs then I'll just go ahead and install ShadowPlay and what not.
Also, if you have to disable Stereoscopic 3D to record the game in SBS(3Dtv play)then how in the world will it record in 3D if your playing it in 2D?? I also hear you can use fraps as well. Is that true?
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

The purpose of 3D Fix manager is to help you set 3dVision up and also the stereoscopic patches. Paul made it to give the software skeleton a body. Thus making it much more user friendly. It helps to tweak hundreds of settings outside nvidia's control panel inside 3dmigoto. So there shouldnt be any conflict between this and shadow play. 3dmigoto is hooked into the hardware pipeline. Not 3dfix manager.

However I recently picked up some wicked artifacts with the latest drivers and 1903. So if you want to record you might need to revert to Driver 425.31. It was the last officially supported and "digitally signed" drivers by nVidia. It should give you the least problems on most systems. You simply disable the InGame overlay inside geforce experience and it wont be hooked in the pipeline. You wouldnt even know it is there. Geforce experience is similar to 3dFix Manager. It adds optimizations to your ingame settings as 3d fix manager optimizes your 3d settings. I've never used fraps. Shadow play did everything I needed it to do and it doesnt hit your hardware that hard. Also not sure if fraps could record Frame Sequential...? I've managed to play and record at 2160p 60fps without a big hit in performance. This is pretty solid performance where in 3D this equates to 120fps. I've achieved good results in Shadow of the Tomb Raider as well. Will be uploading a 2 hour 4k capture for VR pretty soon. This was done in Half Side by Side.

Built in Side by Side, in some games, doesnt need 3d Vision at all. So it is one less hook and hit in the hardware's performance. It is rare to have built in SBS. I've noticed that 3d Migoto still needs 3d Vision to be active when you want to use 3DM's side by side wrapper. Most people here dont use it this way. If Frame Sequential (full SBS image) is possible it is mostly superior on TVs and desktop panels. This is where DSR and SS comes to play to counter in Virtual Reality. Most guys here, like myself, never really bothered with SBS. Because Frame sequential or Frame Packing is much better on most displays. The quality is much better. It is only in VR where I can see this is not such a big issue. As long as you give the VR panels more pixels than its capable of handling you win. 4k HSBS is just as good as 2K Frame sequential (FSBS). Even slightly better. But dont take my words as law. Experiment for yourself.

If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to record your videos so that it could be viewed in VR. VR will be here to stay for a long time. There is big competition in this market where big companies compete for the best and most affordable experience. In the monitor and projector field there are too many variables to consider. Not everyone has the same size or sits at the same distance. So you dont have a sweet spot. With VR most people's eyes are at the same position. So you mostly only have to worry about their interpupillary distance (IPD). If you record for VR it should theoretically be much more future proof.
One piece of advice on top of this. Record in HSbS. A video recorded in HSBS could be viewed on a mobile phone too whereas a FSBS video not. (Unless there are software I dont know about that could compress a FSBS video to fill the entire screen of a mobile phone?) The safe separation to record something for VR is to make sure it doesnt exceed 17mm on a 27" 1080p monitor (17mm would differ on different inches). For instance make sure that none of the objects on the screen is more than 17mm apart. So pick something in the distance if you want to do this. When you record something in HSBS your friends could view it too if they have one of that mobile VR gears. Or you could simply view it cross eyed.

Just some things you need to keep in mind when you record stereoscopic content.

Edit: One thing I have to correct here, the full frame recording does appear to be better for mobile VR devices. I only had feedback from one person so far. When i got myself a mobile VR device it appeared that this was wrong. While HSBS fills more of your screen the image is a bit compressed. With full frame recording it shrinks and doesnt fill such a wide field of view. But the aspect ratio is better. I was under the impression that you cant view Full frame videos on a mobile device. But I was able to view both. Others might need to leave their comments here. Should be interesting to know.
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

Lizzard wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:47 am The purpose of 3D Fix manager is to help you set 3dVision up and also the stereoscopic patches. Paul made it to give the software skeleton a body. Thus making it much more user friendly. It helps to tweak hundreds of settings outside nvidia's control panel inside 3dmigoto. So there shouldnt be any conflict between this and shadow play. 3dmigoto is hooked into the hardware pipeline. Not 3dfix manager.

However I recently picked up some wicked artifacts with the latest drivers and 1903. So if you want to record you might need to revert to Driver 425.31. It was the last officially supported and "digitally signed" drivers by nVidia. It should give you the least problems on most systems. You simply disable the InGame overlay inside geforce experience and it wont be hooked in the pipeline. You wouldnt even know it is there. Geforce experience is similar to 3dFix Manager. It adds optimizations to your ingame settings as 3d fix manager optimizes your 3d settings. I've never used fraps. Shadow play did everything I needed it to do and it doesnt hit your hardware that hard. Also not sure if fraps could record Frame Sequential...? I've managed to play and record at 2160p 60fps without a big hit in performance. This is pretty solid performance where in 3D this equates to 120fps. I've achieved good results in Shadow of the Tomb Raider as well. Will be uploading a 2 hour 4k capture for VR pretty soon. This was done in Half Side by Side.

Built in Side by Side, in some games, doesnt need 3d Vision at all. So it is one less hook and hit in the hardware's performance. It is rare to have built in SBS. I've noticed that 3d Migoto still needs 3d Vision to be active when you want to use 3DM's side by side wrapper. Most people here dont use it this way. If Frame Sequential (full SBS image) is possible it is mostly superior on TVs and desktop panels. This is where DSR and SS comes to play to counter in Virtual Reality. Most guys here, like myself, never really bothered with SBS. Because Frame sequential or Frame Packing is much better on most displays. The quality is much better. It is only in VR where I can see this is not such a big issue. As long as you give the VR panels more pixels than its capable of handling you win. 4k HSBS is just as good as 2K Frame sequential (FSBS). Even slightly better. But dont take my words as law. Experiment for yourself.

If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to record your videos so that it could be viewed in VR. VR will be here to stay for a long time. There is big competition in this market where big companies compete for the best and most affordable experience. In the monitor and projector field there are too many variables to consider. Not everyone has the same size or sits at the same distance. So you dont have a sweet spot. With VR most people's eyes are at the same position. So you mostly only have to worry about their interpupillary distance (IPD). If you record for VR it should theoretically be much more future proof.
One piece of advice on top of this. Record in HSbS. A video recorded in HSBS could be viewed on a mobile phone too whereas a FSBS video not. (Unless there are software I dont know about that could compress a FSBS video to fill the entire screen of a mobile phone?) The safe separation to record something for VR is to make sure it doesnt exceed 17mm on a 27" 1080p monitor (17mm would differ on different inches). For instance make sure that none of the objects on the screen is more than 17mm apart. So pick something in the distance if you want to do this. When you record something in HSBS your friends could view it too if they have one of that mobile VR gears. Or you could simply view it cross eyed.

Just some things you need to keep in mind when you record stereoscopic content.

Edit: One thing I have to correct here, the full frame recording does appear to be better for mobile VR devices. I only had feedback from one person so far. When i got myself a mobile VR device it appeared that this was wrong. While HSBS fills more of your screen the image is a bit compressed. With full frame recording it shrinks and doesnt fill such a wide field of view. But the aspect ratio is better. I was under the impression that you cant view Full frame videos on a mobile device. But I was able to view both. Others might need to leave their comments here. Should be interesting to know.
LIzzard, I've just downloaded the latest GeForce experience version 3.20.4.14 released Tue July 7, 2020 and amabout to install it. It raises a question though, Can you even still record stereoscopic 3D gameplay with Shadowplay considering that they stop driver support for 3D in April 2019. Do the newest version Geforce experience still support stereoscopic gameplay recording??
Can you give a newbi some basic instructions on setting it up so It's recording my game correctly. This would include the settings for Depth and Convergence i'm using in the game I'm recording>
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

Wow, just installed it and recorded gameplay....just like that! That was simpler then I thought it would be, lol. However, I'm having a problem. Its recording the game in Letter Box mode squishing the screen and not filling the whole screen, like it is when I'm playing the game on my projector. I'm playing in 1280 x 720p resolution that's offered to me from 3DTV play. Here's a quick video of something I recorded so you can see what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfPg5VORkvE

Do I need to change something in my Displays resolution so It will fill up the whole screen. also, when I record gameplay, I actually have to have 3D turned on in the control panel not off like you mentioned. With stereoscopic enabled it records in a Side by Side format that I can easily upload to YouTube. I didn't have any issue with it recording 4 diff screens. Thankfully you don't have to actually watch it in 3D to see the letter box format problem but you can watch it in 3D if your monitor can do side by side or with a VR gear. So, do you know how I would solve the issue with the image not taking up the whole screen??
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

It would be best not to install Geforce Experience separately. They usually come in a driver package. You might run into trouble if you install them separately. Surprisingly Shadow play still records frame sequential on 451.48. But as i mentioned before there are some artifacts in certain games. Sadly on some of my favorites. The 3d driver overlay is causing this in some way.

First you need to make sure all the important things are checked here. Otherwise it wont work.
nVidia overlay.png
When that is in order you could activate the in game overlay.
nVidia overlay on.png
Then click settings.
nVidia overlay settings.png
From here you could control your MIC preferences, temp files and destination (from recordings section), keyboard shortcuts ("toggle manual recording on/of" is important. Set mine to Alt+F2).
nVidia overlay mic.png
nVidia overlay recordings.png
Video capture settings are also important. This will determine the quality of the recording. If you play a lot of online gaming like I do you don't want to set the quality too high unless you edit it afterwards. In a battle royal you dont want to record picking up stuff for instance.
nVidia overlay video capture.png
I believe these are the most important settings to keep in mind. The rest i just turn off cause I don't use it. There is one thing I haven't quite figured out yet. Sometimes Shadow play would record HSBS instead of Frame Sequential. In the video capture options you could either use "In game", "4K' or "1440P" etc. This might determine what the outcome would be. So for Frame Sequential you might want to keep it at "In game". Otherwise you might over tax your system if you play at Frame Sequential but record at HSBS. Just speculation here...

For depth I would go with what Bo3b and his team determined to be best. 40% inside the nVidia control panel. Then everybody here should also be able to enjoy what you've recorded when you upload it to Youtube on 90% of the devices out there. Especially people with VR headsets which is becoming the norm for stereoscopic contend. The sweet spot for me is about 17mm separation on a 27" monitor. Convergence is a bit tricky. Here I could only say it goes by personal preference. But it shouldn't pop out too far past zero parallax (your screen bezel) towards you. The movie industry played this very safe where it is a rare for things to pop out of the screen (primarily IMAX did such things for underwater documentaries and such). My guess is that it shouldn't be more than 7mm on a 27" monitor. Haven't measured a comfortable separation yet. Should actually do this now. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider there are parts where Lara gasps for air in underwater air pockets. Inside VR it was always too close (popping out too far). For inexperienced stereoscopic fans this would be very uncomfortable. Like I've mentioned before, there are millions of people out there with access to youtube on their mobile devices. It is possible to view these videos on your cell phone and it works really well even on older phones. The size of a phones screen is roughly the same as a HMD's screen. I regret that i didn't start sooner when the mobile VR hype started. This was an enormous lost opportunity for this community and tech that goes along with it. We cant expect this type of gaming to be sustainable if there aren't any marketing strategies to help promote it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

Did you get the chance to watch the youtube video I posted up top? How do fix the issue where it's recording the game in a squished top and bottom, letter box looking format?? Where do I need to make adjustments so it will record in a "Full Screen" 16:9 Format?
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

narhicfd wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 am Did you get the chance to watch the youtube video I posted up top? How do fix the issue where it's recording the game in a squished top and bottom, letter box looking format?? Where do I need to make adjustments so it will record in a "Full Screen" 16:9 Format?
I see you replied at the same time I started my previous reply... :lol:
The letter box format you refer to is Frame Sequential. It is two full 16:9 frames next to each other. 16x2:9 Making it 32:9. That is what I meant by selecting "In game" or the resolution you prefer to record. When you select 1080p or 1440p for instance it would record HSBS. To keep the overall aspect ratio at 16:9. There is nothing wrong with your video. It looks cool! Was able to view some of your older videos too. Virtual Desktop has an anaglyph format built into it. Something to use in these rare cases. It also has a full SBS built into it.

The problem with the 4 screens is when you use 3d vision on top of tridef. 3D vision should be deactivated when you use Tridef. The 3d vision fix should also be uninstalled cause it interferes with Tridef's algorithm. So I assume you were using 3D vision then. The only thing I could think is that DSR is interfering with your projection. With some games DSR needs to be deactivated. Otherwise it messes with the game's internal settings. This is something to report to the devs. Im not expert but these are my guesses.

Let me know if i didn't get what you meant.

There are some neat settings which the shader hackers integrated into 3dmigoto that sometimes helped when running games on a projector that you could find in the d3dx.ini. This is saved with the 3d fix in the folder where you find the game's .exe

; overrides screen resolution.
; width=1280
; height=720

or

; full_screen=1

These settings helped to initiate 3d when you uncomment the width or height. Just take away the semi colon and save the .ini
Full_screen could also =2
But I doubt these are related to your issues. Just keep it mind when you have trouble somewhere in the future.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

Lizzard wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:15 am
narhicfd wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 am Did you get the chance to watch the youtube video I posted up top? How do fix the issue where it's recording the game in a squished top and bottom, letter box looking format?? Where do I need to make adjustments so it will record in a "Full Screen" 16:9 Format?
I see you replied at the same time I started my previous reply... :lol:
The letter box format you refer to is Frame Sequential. It is two full 16:9 frames next to each other. 16x2:9 Making it 32:9. That is what I meant by selecting "In game" or the resolution you prefer to record. When you select 1080p or 1440p for instance it would record HSBS. To keep the overall aspect ratio at 16:9. There is nothing wrong with your video. It looks cool! Was able to view some of your older videos too. Virtual Desktop has an anaglyph format built into it. Something to use in these rare cases. It also has a full SBS built into it.

The problem with the 4 screens is when you use 3d vision on top of tridef. 3D vision should be deactivated when you use Tridef. The 3d vision fix should also be uninstalled cause it interferes with Tridef's algorithm. So I assume you were using 3D vision then. The only thing I could think is that DSR is interfering with your projection. With some games DSR needs to be deactivated. Otherwise it messes with the game's internal settings. This is something to report to the devs. Im not expert but these are my guesses.

Let me know if i didn't get what you meant.

There are some neat settings which the shader hackers integrated into 3dmigoto that sometimes helped when running games on a projector that you could find in the d3dx.ini. This is saved with the 3d fix in the folder where you find the game's .exe

; overrides screen resolution.
; width=1280
; height=720

or

; full_screen=1

These settings helped to initiate 3d when you uncomment the width or height. Just take away the semi colon and save the .ini
Full_screen could also =2
But I doubt these are related to your issues. Just keep it mind when you have trouble somewhere in the future.
When you were viewing the megaman 2.5D youtube video above wasn't the image squished where there was to much empty space above and below the picture?? Maybe the way you were watching the video via the virtual desktop fixed the image and it filled or almost filled your entire screen. When I watched on my computer or straight from Youtube the image is squished to much...aka not filling up the screen.
I'll do some of your other suggestions and hopefully that will cause the video of my recorded 3D gameplay to look right. Thanks for the info on having to disable the Driver hack if I want to use TriDef, I would have never know that. It'll still be a little while before I mess with using TriDef since I want get a grasp on using 3D vision. Thanks for all your help as well on everything to. Don't know how else I would have figured stuff out otherwise.
DugomFirst
Cross Eyed!

Post by DugomFirst »

I've recorded a lot of 3D games, see my signature.

In some games, recoding breaks the 3D.

I recommended you to rip the video to an 16:9 format to help 3DTV viewer to see the video in the good format directly from YT. If you let the 32:9 then they will see very big black bars and obviously a smaller video like my last of Metro Exodus, which I forgot to rip.

I'm using Geforce experience to record and Freemake video converter to rip.

I try to alway make a link in the description with the original video in 32:9, for better quality viewing like with 3Dvision viewer (updated with Stereoscopic Player).

My old post from the shitty Nvidia Forum:

To update the 3Dvision Player, use the CST license file from Nvidia Player on the latest Stereoscopic player version:

Install the latest version of Stereoscopic player:
http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx

Then place the nVidia license into the software folder (C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Stereoscopic Player):
http://www.mediafire.com/?4rn40oq1mq1b0dp

Please note, if like me you have a full license of Stereoscopic Player, do not place your Nvidia license into the original installation folder, copy all Stereoscopic Player files to another folder (like C: \ Program Files (x86) \ NVIDIA Corporation \ NVIDIA 3D Vision Video Player) before pasting the Nvidia license, to keep both software operational.

If necessary, here the old 3DVision Player (v1.7.5) to get the nVidia CST license.
http://fr.download.nvidia.com/Windows/3 ... -1.7.5.msi
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

The format I would prefer my video to look like is more like how they looked like when I was using TriDef. Here are some of my videos I recorded with Bandicam and using TriDef:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xclne27ULnU (Mega Man11)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCLggb96pc (Rocket Knight)

That way people with a 3D t.v. or project that supports Side-by-side could watch it. Also, people with a mobile phone and a VR gear, could open the you tube app then place the phone in the VR, and with the split lenses watch them as well.
Now, I must admit, I don't know how the average VR user watches 3D videos on youtube. Are they like me and just open the Youtube app, choose a 3D video with side-by-side, and put there phone in a VR gear and watch it with the 2 diff lenses viewing it in 3D?? Or, do they watch them via inside Google card board App or Gear VR app or something similar.
To me it just seems easier to open YouTube app, find a Stereoscopic side-by-side video throw the mobile phone in the VR and watch...however, I do wonder if things pop out of the screen at you when watching it that way.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

You know what, after watching my olders videos through my VR set, the Mega Man video looks better in my VR, since you can see more of actuall Image. The Mega Man video looks better in VR but the other other games i have uploaded, that I recorded using TriDef look better on my projector once I activate side-by-side since it fills up more of the screen and lessing the black bars on top and bottom..go figure..🤔
DugomFirst
Cross Eyed!

Post by DugomFirst »

Size of the screen matter for 3D. A 3D for TV will look weak on monitor even so on phone.

And a full Depth on monitor wont work on TVs.

Its a bit complex but Depth should never goes over interocular which is 7cm of separation for adults, and less for children.

If you are very far from the screen you can exceed 7cm with a small %, like in theaters.

There for the best 3D will always be full Depth with around 30 to 70% of convergence. That mean that object could appear more than halfway out of your screen, you'll have to squin to see the object near you, like in real life and faraway objects will look as far as in real life.

Oddly convergence is not set by the size of your screen. If the objet is halfway out on phone it will be the same in theaters...
seamusssbuckridge
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seamusssbuckridge »

Wow wow wow. Thank you for sharing such great information about GeForce Experience. Everything works perfectly.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

Okay, so youtube no longer has the option to classify your video as 3D; thereby, making it harder to easily upload 3D videos or 3D gameplay. You can still watch other 3D video already uploaded however, If you want to upload 3D video and have youtube play it in red/green Anaglyph or Google cardboard you have to do this:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7278886?hl=en

However, im not exactly sure what it's telling me I have to do now, to get my uploaded video to have the option to play in Anaglyph 3D or make it so others can watch it in 3D via their VR gear. Can any of y'all help explain some things?
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

What are your motivations to upload anaglyph on Youtube?

SBS uploads have been working without any trouble..? I've never seen the option to classify it as 3D. But I think it will exclude some people who might want to see it. Not sure how the majority of people view 3d contend that search for it on YT. Would be interesting to know.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

That perticular gameplay video, I really wanted the creator of the game to be able to watch in 3D. I also posted a link of the youtube video on his Facebook main page. I had him as one of the intended audience to watch the video but He doesn't have any type of 3D monitor/tv or VR gear to other wise watch it in 3D so I uploaded it in the red/cyan Anaglyph so he could get some glasses and watch it in 3D.
Im still not sure what format I want to upload future 3D videos. On one hand, if I upload the video as Anaglyph, youtube allows others to watch it in side-by-side format in thier VR gear via the Google cardboard setting in the youtube player. However, doing that doesn't let people watch it who have a 3D tv, projector, or other players.
I could just upload it in the side-by-side format like you mention and that would allow those with a 3D t.v./projector or 3D vision to watch it but then that wouldn't allow the use of Google cardboard. I tried watching a side-by-side video via Google cardboard and it ended producing a left and right screen that still had 2 side-by-side images in it.
Your right though, I need to upload a gameplay video in a side-by-side format so other people can watch it using 3D vision and see how good the game looks.
This process leaves me with with a problem. In what format should I upload 3D gameplay videos so people with VR gear, and those with 3D t.v./projector can both watch it in 3D?? Honestly, I think people are more likely to have VR gear, and 3D monitors on hand then red/green Anaglyph glasses anyway.
narhicfd

Post by narhicfd »

I just realized I got my forum post mixed up and included info from a post I made about old school Mega Man where I posted a gameplay video of Mega Man 2.5D in Stereoscopic 3D. Here's link to the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loh4F-b9GB0

Yes, as you mentioned the problem with uploading 3D videos is wondering how viewer these days are viewing 3D videos. As mentioned aboved, the game creator has no 3D viewing device, so I uploaded in a Anaglyph mode figuring it was his best option to view it in 3D.
I also changed the format of the video to where it takes up more of the screen then how Gforce experience/Shadow play normally records it. The original gameplay video is more of a letterbox format with the black bars on top and bottom, which I don't like.
As mentioned above, I don't know if there's a sure fire format to uploading 3D videos. If I upload the videos in a normal side-by-side 3D format want that exclude people with VR gear from making use of watching it via google cardboard?? Upload it in Anaglyph mode, Google cardboard mode can be used to watch it in decent 3D format. However, upload in side-by-side, and that disables the use of Google cardboard cause it won't render the image correctly.
It seems that someone is going to be left out depending on how I upload any 3D video.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

That makes sense. The other option that requires no additional gadgets is to watch it cross-eyed. But this is only possible if you make the video size very small. It works pretty good on a mobile phone. You simply cross your eyes until the two images overlap. Then you focus your vision and move your eyes closer until you find a sweet spot. When the video size is too big it would be impossible this way. And the video needs to be recorded in the correct way. 3dVision does it right automatically.

The best way I think is to have it frame sequential / full SBS / 3840x1080p. You keep most of the quality and its not a hard hit on performance. So the recorded content have better frames. Shadow play also only capable of 30 or 60 fps. It seems when you go higher you cant keep frame sequential. Unless you have a native 1440p 3d monitor. Someone else needs to confirm this. On my end DSR doesn't seem to record at full frames. Think 1440p would be ideal since it would make it a bit more future proof. If you keep it compatible with VR it would add another layer of security. VR is the primary source for consumer stereoscopic content right now. And I believe it wont change. Half Side by Side will only be useful to people who have the technology to adapt. You can watch in on a mobile device but it is out of proportion. Full SBS still better. Just tested it again with my latest upload. You can also watch it cross-eyed like mentioned. For mobile devices 720p is also good.

The only time I upload videos in Half SBS is when HelixVision doesnt support it. Currently this gives this technology a big advantage since other companies cant really benefit from full frames recorded. Because they don't have access to 3dVision. 3DVision & Shadow play might be the only software available to Frame Sequential recordings. Playing games on a 27" monitor with a max separation of 16 to 17mm could still be used in VR. But what use do we have to try and promote 3dVision now?? So it only makes sense to focus on Helix Vision and Vk3dVision since they are the only people still actively working on solutions that benefits the majority. But I hope they could reach a point where the nvidia 3d drivers are no longer needed in the future. It would open many new doors. It is quite sad actually because I still remember when Bo3b announced he got 3d vision games working in VR. Not long after this we received the news that 3d vision would be discontinued. Now the life line completely removed from the drivers. Pretty thug move if you ask me. Especially that VR is picking up now. Why? Because there are no benefits in this for nVidia. But I'm still hopeful that they would find new innovative ways in the VR market. They still stamp it on their boxes. Maybe HelixVision or Vk3dVision will have big roles in the coming future. They are on the middle ground now that nVidia completely separated themselves. There are still many opportunities. We need to get the attention of GAME DEVELOPERS and the CONSUMERS. But primarily the consumers. In the end they control the direction. Youtubers are really starting to become powerful. Their viewers are hanging on their lips.

So the games that are only compatible with 3d Vision currently needs full experiences and not only "tastes". All the short indie games could be used for this matter. Firewatch is one such game since the latest update broke the fix DarkStarSword made. In the future it might be impossible to set it up for a 3d experience. To keep memories of these games on Youtube would be great. Somewhere along the line someone's video will go viral. And we could support each other when that happens. Im picking up some terrible hostility from other Youtubers. Everyone seems to regard others as stepping stones on the "pyramid". I hope it wont happen in this community.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

This website has some valuable information for uploading to Youtube and some other interesting Stereoscopic news.
https://www.tridimensional.info/2023/01 ... be-videos/

Also 3DJ's guide to use Potplayer in Youtube has also been very helpful to watch FullSBS content without squashing the picture. You can use the numpad keys 8 and 2 to stretch the picture vertically and 4 and 6 to stretch it horizontally:
https://discord.com/channels/5157038646 ... 2199421982
Quick guide to stream 3D videos from youtube into 3D Vision:
- Install latest version of PotPlayer
- In NVIDIA profile inspector, select the DaumPot Player profile then set StereoProfile flag to true. Also add PotPlayerMini64.exe if you use the 64 bit version.
- in PotPlayer, click the 3D button > 3D Video output (screen) > NVIDIA 3D vision, enable 3D and specify SBS like this ⁠general⁠
- Right-click PotPlayer > Open > Open URL... > paste URL > OK

Optional, but recommended:
- Install any of these addons depending on your browser of choice
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... codp?hl=en
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -shortcut/
- Find a 3D video and click the Play with PotPlayer button under the view count/upload date like in the screenshot above

- Frames flickering without triggering 3D Vision? Make sure your desktop resolution is set to 120hz
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “Nvidia 3D Vision Fixes, Solutions and Troubleshooting”