Favourite 3d display technology

Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Re: Favourite 3d display technology

Post by Lysander »

demobuild wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:08 pm I recently switched to paper anaglyph glasses.
lol !
Sorry, that just sounds too funny in my head :D To each his own, of course, I mean no offence!
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
demobuild
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by demobuild »

Well comfort is a huge deal. Everything else relies on obsolete technology that's impossible to replace.

So it's either VR
..or paper
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

demobuild wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:44 pm Well comfort is a huge deal. Everything else relies on obsolete technology that's impossible to replace.

So it's either VR
..or paper
For sure man. I have yet to try an HMD for a longer session but the things I'm reading here are getting me excited - not even the VR but the 3DV games on a giant screen. It will be a long while though, because I need to do a lot of research and make sure I have to correct gear. With the Reverb G2 I understand I have to be pushing 90fps 4K, which I fail to see what can run this lol Even the 3090 would struggle with that and we know the 30xx series isn't compatible with our current DX11 games so I don't want to invest in that. 3DV still amazes me a lot every time I launch a well-fixed game so I have a lot of backlog to play through and new DX11 games are still being released and fixed. Which is just amazing!
Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX2080Ti, 16GB ram, Windows 20H2, nVidia 452.06, SSD, Dell S2716DG.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

demobuild wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:08 pm I get better 3d on my Vive Pro but I recently switched to paper anaglyph glasses. VR headset is just too uncomfortable.
3D Vision discover Glasses.jpg
You might like these badboys then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Share our love for stereoscopic gaming in VR
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... /playlists :anaglyph
:anaglyph https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKLifl ... 5lw/videos :anaglyph
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

Virtual Box 3000.jpg
I started out with this before I realised how irritating it is when your peripheral view catches other stuff outside your gaming experience. Which gave birth to the Virtual Box 3000. I really loved playing in this. Yes it is hilarious. You dont want to fart in this setup! At the top i had two pins from which I hanged a black cloth so that no light could bleed onto the monitor. It was really cozy and immersive. I also made a custom wood monitor stand many moons ago when i lived in a small room with a cramped desk. This helps to get the monitor as close to your eyes without the keyboard and screen clashing.
Custom Screen Stand.jpg
Obviously you will get some "screendoor" when you sit so close. But the immersion gained was worth it.
PJ setup.jpg
So after I went through a prototype stage transforming my guest room into a small cinema I built a proper cinema in my living room. Since i heard guys complaining that its terrible to have your living room dark all the time I decided to make an easy user friendly setup where you could simply roll the sheets up to transform the living room. I simply nailed two wooden square brandering strips into the roof with fisher plugs and stapled the cloth into it with a staple gun. This might not work for everyone depending on their ceiling. Im fortunate to have concrete. Brandering on brandering might be easier. The screen was also just a rectangular frame made from brandering. Stapled a decent silk cloth over it. Then fastened the frame to the two strips on the ceiling with 2 angled metal brackets. The whole screen is tilted so the center of the normal face you square where you sit. Lately I only use this for movies. Nothing yet beats this personal movie experience. But the 720p limitation of 3dVision is not quite there yet for gaming. Immersionwise much better than what a 27" monitor offer. Its almost ghostfree and the massive scale improvement also helps a lot. The 1080p PJs might still beat everything. The maintenance is quite steap since you need to replace the lamps which are pretty expensive when going with quality. I also noticed a difference in my electricity bill that could pay for a 500$ VR headset in 2 years time.

At that time I heard good reviews of the Samsung O+ that sounded much more postive than the ones from CV1, DK1 and PSVR. Got it and been happy since.
O+Mod.jpg
One day i got hooked on Jagged Alliance BIA through Tridef Ignition and spent 38 hours in this thing. After which I realised how this thing could torture your face. Would like to try the custom VR pads that are made for them. What i did to help was to use some Foam Sealing Strip.
Foam Sealing Strip.jpg
This helps to spread the load on your face. The shape of the default one was designed to compensate for many head shapes. Also for very big ones. So the down side is that all the load is primarily focused on your forehead. When you add these strips to compensate for your own shape light started to bleed in which needs to be countered by more on the inside.
O+Mod2.jpg
You can also move the part of foam closest to your nose closer to the rubber piece to close the gap that no light enter there as well. This eliminates unnecessary godrays.
Plastic Profile To chairB.jpg
The last part that could be DIYd is a custom cable support. Im pretty sure all seated/stationary VR users needs this. Good opportunity for gaming chair manufacturers. The cable like others mentioned is a problem. I had a F-Shaped plastic profile laying around. (Im a bit of a hoarder of junk....sometimes. not as much as Skyrim though).
VR Cable ManagementB.jpg
So I used a blade to cut the profile at certain parts and simply glued the ofcuts into those parts with super glue and sand particles. Then sprayed it black after I was pleased. At first I glued a paper clamp at the tip to hold the cable but that was too rough. Even with a foam sealing strip in the clamping part. The fact that this is plastic helps a bit since it is more flexible. You could use something more shiny like anodized aluminum. And something elastic at the tip like the cable pulleys. I later just screwed chunks of cable management plastic in opposite directions at the tip which turned out perfectly user friendly when attaching and removing the cable even while the HMD is on. I just screwed the whole plastic profile into the lumbar frame of the chair. The lumbar support of most chairs is probably plywood. Haven't dissected one before. After this I rarely become aware of the cable.

I've learned so many tricks in the past year using HelixVision and other software to increase immersion. But the last one that made Shadow Of the Tomb Raider PERFECT in the HMD was by far the most exceptional. It is definitely something worth looking into. I made a custom resolution of 3150x2000x90hz that made this the smoothest best looking immersive game ive experienced in VR so far. It really blew me away and often find myself gasping for air since I literally forget to breath. Im having similar experiences in Just Cause 3 where you wingsuit all over the map. Very excited to be uploading a video for this on YouTube in a few days. Since my earliest days one of my dreams were to fly. This has been the closest to fulfilling that dream. Literally breath taking! When the developers sees this i personally expect them to react more bluntly in their future endeavors. This has the potential to become something colossal like Avatar. Their open world engine is very crappy though. And I cant get anything plausible past 1080p. Even 1080p stutters here and there. This is with a i9 9900k and RTX2080.

There are so many people and things coming together here. I simply cant credit this or that person. I am really so thankful for every guy who made these gaming experiences possible. It made a fanatic of me. Precisely 11 years ago this day (2009/12/19) after I walked out of the cinema when Avatar finished, i felt something inexplicable that has never left me. Stereoscopic technology has since grown on me like nothing before!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
֍ Win 10:21H1 ֍ 251.48 ֍ RTX2080 ֍ i9 9900k ֍ Benq1070 ֍ Samsung S27A950D, Odyssey+ ֍ LG 49UF8509 ֍ FujifilmW3 ֍
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

Wait, Avatar was 11 years ago????! 😯 Holy...it doesnt feel like that.

Those are some dedicated setups u had there, mate!

I'm looking forward to experiencing TR and other games in HelixVision. Shadow really blew me away in 3d vision on my humble VG278H (which is still really good and going strong!), I mean they all did but I really like lush forest scenery so I found it particularly attractive. After getting up from that plane crash I was like wtf... I 100%-ted the game. Did you try Hellblade on your setup?

Soooooo glad the guys here make these things possible for us.
Lizzard
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lizzard »

Lysander wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:59 am Wait, Avatar was 11 years ago????! 😯 Holy...it doesnt feel like that.

Those are some dedicated setups u had there, mate!

I'm looking forward to experiencing TR and other games in HelixVision. Shadow really blew me away in 3d vision on my humble VG278H (which is still really good and going strong!), I mean they all did but I really like lush forest scenery so I found it particularly attractive. After getting up from that plane crash I was like wtf... I 100%-ted the game. Did you try Hellblade on your setup?

Soooooo glad the guys here make these things possible for us.
Cheers mate! This all started after me and my ex girlfriend broke up. So its not for married men I guess. Unless you could have someone whose into this as well or sincerely respect your ambitions. Think in all the time spent on this forum I only ever remember noticing a female here once. The scary part is that I had a very good looking educated and ambitious ex. It didn't bother me one bit. I get that you shouldn't be materialistic in life. But losing this technology might cause me strokes! Im sure most of the guys whose left this hobby is because of their love life and children. That should ofcourse be the most important matters in any person's life. My current girlfriend continuously had nightmares where I would walk away with other woman. Many months into this relationship i realized it was this hobby of mine that is causing her nightmares. There are many days I would rather be doing this than be spending time with her and this is dangerous ground. But I made her well aware of this dedication before we started haha

I myself also love lush green forests. This was the first thing i noticed missing in ROTTR. I now get perfect frames with SOTTR in the hidden city! I should probably not over sell it so much. I have to admit there are still a lot of aliasing happening. It is something you learn to live with. Immersion makes up for this loss. Your first few hours/days you would constantly spend analyzing things. You only really start to appreciate it when you get used to it. It could take a couple of months. With the O+ the screendoor is almost completely gone cause of the anti screen door filter placed on the display like was mentioned here before. PSVR uses the same technology. (personally believe this and the factory lenses are the only reasons to choose a O+ over a Vive Pro. VivePro offers more clarity at the expense of more screendoor. If you think about it, what could be better than "natural" anti aliasing which aren't bound to system performance? You see in reality you could also just stick this anti aliasing "sticker" on your regular monitor to soften the aliasing which in trade off makes it more blurry. This should be less strain on performance. This might already be common practice. Dont know.. Someone whose spent a significance time in both would have a better opinion). I believe these custom resolutions are causing the aliasing. It was not optimized for these weird resolutions. So for the first time I see the use of the Resolution Modifier come to play to counter the aliasing. Does a great job here and wish more game engines would have had it! Right now it feels like this game was certainly meant to be played this way.

I still remember the ambition of this community when they found out ROTTR didnt have stereoscopic integrated into its settings at launch. So the guys jumped in and polished the 3d. Only to find out few months/weeks? later they did have 3d in mind. Just not at launch. Same thing happened with SOTTR. It is going to be a really sad day when they don't include it in their future TR series. My nr.1 stereo gaming experience remains TR2013. This was a showcase for this technology and they really did an excellent job. Still remain in love with this. I'm at 98% in SOTTR after 80 hours. The other two are the only two perfect games I have on steam. Already spent 160 hours in ROTTR. To me it was worth the time.

My feelings about Hellblade are a bit mixed. During its hype I watched Helifax's upload on YT in 3d. The game appeared to be too violent but somewhere along the line I were impelled to try it. (The story behind it sounded good). The violence is amplified when immersed. Which is one of the reasons im not a big fan of Assassins Creed. Still play it though. Just not very fond of it. With FarCry4 I sometimes close my eyes when driving a machete through a guys back. Sword killings are very brutal and prefer bullets. Subconsciously this violence has a strong effect on your character and temperament. Killing should not be something you enjoy. If you do it means you have a serious problem. In this regard I am a bit of a hypocrite xD Cause the majority of games at the core are all about killing the "bad guys or monsters" and make you the hero of the story. This is not me judging other people but myself. As long as the experience doesnt manifest in actual reality. Cause nowadays kids are killing each other??? What the F happened to our world??? How much are attributed to gaming or the media? Not my intention to derail this topic and should start a new discussion for this. Just things to consider. How will VR affect the next generation and future of this planet??? We as human beings need to be careful what we accept to enjoy which the media offers. And I'm referring to infants and teenagers in particular.

Never the less, I'm looking forward to play Hellblade! What is your take on this in the VR platform?
Lysander
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by Lysander »

I didn't play it in VR but just regular 3dv but it was honestly one of the games that left the biggest impression on me - visually, story-wise, atmosphere-wise and design-wise. I can't really compare it to anything else.

I don't think it's any more violent than Tomb Raider but the tone of the game is more serious as is its intention. The atmosphere is just incredible, right from the start, I was quite scared most of the time to be honest 😁 The fight sequences provided a nice break of action and adrenaline from the spookiness. But I was also scared in the Xiaxli section of TR 😁 Violence in games doesn't really bother me that much but everybody is different. I dont particularly enjoy when the gore goes overboard but games like Mortal Kombat just turn it into something comical so ppl take it with a grain of salt. Obviously if u try to perform fatalities in real life, theres a problem 😁
b4thman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by b4thman »

3 months without playing 3D at all. Today I took the 3d vision glasses just to consume battery to prevent degradation. Maybe I will play again with the glasses. What bothers me more is the CPU bottleneck that forces me to play with stuttering when using 3D.
I use (when I play 3D) 3d Vision glasses + Dell S2716DG monitor. The monitor is not perfect but good enough. I am looking forward to experience with VR, but I am scare about unconfortability and that is the big reason I still did not buy VR.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RTX 2080 (no TI), 32 Gb RAM, Windows 21H1, Monitor Dell S2716DG, Nvidia 425.31 driver
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

@Victoria - suggest you use Top and Bottom, rather than SBS 3D mode on your TV (similar to LG’s line-interleaved format on my 4K OLED E6). This mode provides slightly better 3D viewing. 4K rendering really needs at least 2080Ti, for best performance on most recent games (and a good CPU).

I really enjoy my wireless, lens-modified Vive Pro for VR gaming and experiences. Technically, it does have a wire, but only for the small battery which can be clipped on or put in your pocket. The wireless connection is GREAT for fast, interactive games requiring fast turning, like Asgard’s Wrath.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

@Victoria For Dx12 games I suggest you to try SuperDepth3D via reshade, it's like compatibility mode 3D and ways better than 2D
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Victoria wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:19 pmI always assumed there would be no difference between SBS and TB mode since they should have the same effective resolution. 1920x2160 or 3840x1080 should both have an effective resolution of 4,147,200 pixels. I’m playing DQ11 in TB mode right now as you’ve suggested and it looks good, but what’s the reason why TB mode is better than SBS mode?
TB mode does NOT compress the stereo baseline (horizontal axis), preserving depth information - the key attribute of 3D content. TB and SBS modes have the same number of pixels, but they are perceived slightly differently when displayed at full (uncompressed) resolution.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Victoria wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:19 pm
Chtiblue wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:32 am @Victoria For Dx12 games I suggest you to try SuperDepth3D via reshade, it's like compatibility mode 3D and ways better than 2D
Good idea. I’ll look into that. So far I haven’t played many DX12 only titles so the lack of 3D support hadn’t been a major concern yet. Death Stranding and the Forza series are the only ones I’ve played but they had such outstanding HDR that I wasn’t that bothered by the lack of 3D. This sounds like it will be a great solution for DX12 titles without HDR like Gears of War Ultimate Edition.
The nice thing is that you can play HDR with SuperDepth3D 8)

I'm currently playing Gears 5 with Superdepth3D, HDR and Dolby Atmos sound, totally awesome experience 8)

Horizon Zero dawn looks awesome too with SuperDepth3D and HDR

Same for Watch Dogs Legion, last AC Odyssey, Viking etc
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

It appears that recent NVidia drivers may have a SteamVR stutter problem, with a partial solution being released soon. See https://uploadvr.com/nvidia-steamvr-st ... ix-coming/.

Also, interesting discussion about Apple’s pending (2022) VR HMD - see https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloom ... ar-glasses.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Last edited by 3DNovice on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant S
Cross Eyed!

Post by Grant S »

I started on the path of VR with my Z800 about 05 I think. I have/ had DK1, DK2, Vive, Oculus CV1, Quest 1, Quest 2 HP Reverb G1. Plan to get a G2 with the valve knuckles controllers. Some really great games and sims out there that VR adds a level of immersion that 3D doesn't give me. In the same way there are many games that are best experienced with 3D. I have Helixvision on steam but if I play a standard game in VR, I find Vorpx to be the best for the old games I use to play. A great program though that gets me through when Vorpx fails. I'm sure I'll return to my PCVR gaming when my love affair for my, new to me, 60" LG3DTV with the Nvidia 3D driver starts to fade, I doubt any time soon. I still love just 3D but in reality, the only currently fully supported and developing 3D is VR.

I have pretty much a museum here of outdated but functional PC3D computers, projectors and displays. My first 3D monitor, after CRT days, was the IZ3D. Second was the HP2300GT that has OEM Tridef support. Ugly ass 2D picture on that, very nice 3D though. I've also been using field sequential with shutter glasses on my projectors. Still have the projector ready to shine on the adjacent wall from my TV. Last December I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2012 LG passive 3D TV from a work friend for $350. I used it in SBS with 3D vision play and was impressed. D-man got me sorted on the default output being interlaced and Wow, so much better and much less resources being used .

I simply can't choose between 3D and VR. I just installed the new Metal of Honor and Microsoft flight sim, but since I got this TV sorted with 3D vision, games that I stopped playing on release because they sucked with Tridef, have been stealing the show.

Right now if I were forced to choose, it would be my LG passive 3D TV, but it might just be a crush lol
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Vive Pro 2 sales start today. See https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-h ... ompression, for example. The HMD will reuse existing Vive Pro peripherals like batteries and wireless link (Gear VR lens mod may not work, though).
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

whyme466 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:04 pm Vive Pro 2 sales start today. See https://www.tomshardware.com/news/new-h ... ompression, for example. The HMD will reuse existing Vive Pro peripherals like batteries and wireless link (Gear VR lens mod may not work, though).
The new King of resolution :)
Too bad it's not Amoled anymore, but LCD :(
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

yeahgood for those who already have base trackers and controllers
helifax
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by helifax »

Chtiblue wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:36 pm yeahgood for those who already have base trackers and controllers
Which is everyone who is really into VR! Quest 2 is not VR, sorry to say that :shock: Yes, I also have a Quest 2 for which I had to buy an EXTRA cable just to hook it to the PC and the damn "Elite strap" because the cloth thingy is just uncomfortable...
Quest 2 is like 3D Vision Discover VS 3D Vision on Active Glasses + Emitter + Screen. It shows that it works, but that is about it... (and Facebook gets all the data they need :mrgreen: )
http://3dsurroundgaming.com:
- Home of Vk3DVision & OGL3DVision - Play your favourite Vulkan & OpenGL games in Stereoscopic 3D using Nvidia 3DVision or Virtual Reality ;)
- Home of some of my UHD "Surround/Eyefinity"/21:9/32:9 Fixes. (Or you can always check http://pcgamingwiki.com/)

Want to contribute to the development of Vk3DVision? You can check my Patreon Page for the project: https://www.patreon.com/Vk3DVision.
If you "still" like my project but don't want to contribute monthly you can always send me a PayPal: tavyhomeppal@hotmail.com.

You can always follow me on Twitter: @OctavianVasilov
Gatorkea
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gatorkea »

i was not impressed with quest 2 either, we really need Oled or something comparable imo for all the vr hmd's.
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

helifax wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 pm
Chtiblue wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:36 pm yeahgood for those who already have base trackers and controllers
Which is everyone who is really into VR! Quest 2 is not VR, sorry to say that :shock: Yes, I also have a Quest 2 for which I had to buy an EXTRA cable just to hook it to the PC and the damn "Elite strap" because the cloth thingy is just uncomfortable...
Quest 2 is like 3D Vision Discover VS 3D Vision on Active Glasses + Emitter + Screen. It shows that it works, but that is about it... (and Facebook gets all the data they need :mrgreen: )
Yeah I don't give a poop to the Quest 2 because I have the Reverb G2 😉
Boblenon
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Boblenon »

hello, 3d vision fix manager and 452.06 works with 2000 series rtx but not 3000 series is it correct ?
Chtiblue
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Chtiblue »

Yep sadly it's correct :(
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Finally had a chance to test my new Vive Pro 2. Unfortunately, like the Reverb G2, I found its high resolution sweet spot to be too small within the FOV to justify the extra computation, in my opinion, with god rays and considerable blurring present in other areas of the FOV. I still prefer its predecessor, unless Vive offers an improved lens for the new HMD. The GearVR lens mod to the Vive Pro (replacing Fresnel lens with normal lens) provides a LARGE sweet spot, with only minor blurring on the edges of the FOV, with NO optical distortion and god rays. Personally, I prefer a smaller FOV with consistent image quality (no geometric distortions, for example) than a larger FOV with artifacts (even if free of SDE). A large FOV would be ideal, but not if god rays and excessive blurring are introduced (and geometric distortion, like Pimax 8K).

Update: Vive support responded to my feedback, acknowledging that other customers had made a similar complaint about the Vive Pro 2 lens problems, but were non-committal about future plans, including mod kits.
3DNovice
Petrif-Eyed

Post by 3DNovice »

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”