Looking for shutter glasses - what options do I have?

RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Looking for shutter glasses - what options do I have?

Post by RTsa »

So, I'm going to get myself a pair of shutterglasses, but it's rather hard for me to find all the options I have. I admit, I'm picky. :P

So, I'm almost a complete newbie here, but I think I have everything other than the glasses: a 21" CRT monitor, NVIDIA 7600GT and most importantly, Far Cry. :lol:

1) No batteries, if possible. Wired > Wireless.
2) Cheap, of course. :P
3) Comfortable.

So, what're my options? What products are there? Links would be great. Do some have better quality (gaming experience wise) than others?

Thanks, your help is appreciated! :D
Znith
Cross Eyed!

Post by Znith »

Most everyone 'promotes' E-Dimensional shutter glasses. Wired CRT versions cost around $40 on Newegg However if you are price conscience check ebay. About six months ago I bought 2 brand new X3D glasses with dongles for $10 +$4 shipping. They work perfectly fine for S-3D even though the company that produces these (I believe) is out of business. They look just like ED's glasses and I knew I wouldn't using X3D's software anyways so it didn't matter to me if the company was still functioning.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Also using eD-glasses on my old 6800. Works fine but i had to modify the battery holder slightly (no decent contact). Otherways they work just fine. Have glasses but have no problem using Ed-glasses in front of them.
You have Nvidia card:
Simply use the 91.31 drivers + stereo drivers for those.
There are also 93.81 betaversions on this sites download section that works just as nice (or even better that the 91.31). Never noticed any difference with my P4/6800Ultra anyway.
The range of reach for the wireless system is quite low, but enough for stereo viewing. And of course you don't need to have a cable. The batteries are 2xCR1620 and i've only changed them once. (And it was maybe the battery holders fault. lol)

Good luck! And welcome! :)
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

Okay, those eDimensional glasses look like they could be my pick. However, I need to find a place where I can get them here in Finland. :P

Ordering from UK doesn't seem like the best idea, but if that's what it takes... :)

What left me wondering was the comment about dual-core CPUs. Are there serious issues with stereoscopic 3D and multi-cores? I only have one core for now, but I do plan on getting some more (probably next year, though :P), but still, I'm interested in the issue. Hopefully it'll be fixed by then.

How do you plug those glasses in? Apparently you need to use VGA connection for them to work? That's no problem for me right now, of course. :)

Also, they seem to be advertising that these are working with ATI cards as well: https://edimensional.com/product_info.p ... 0b4fe24407

Just curious, as I was under the impression that only NVIDIA cards are supported. Not that it matters now..

However, I do need to know why the shutterglasses don't work with LCDs. Is it just because of the low refresh rate? Again, doesn't really matter, just curious. :)

Also, what happens when the game FPS comes down? What if I only get 15FPS at some point, does the card still display a different picture for my left & right eye each time the screen is refreshed?

Thanks a bunch for your support! If I get these somewhere, I'll definitely tell people about my impressions with them. Especially Crytek. ;)
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I tried my e-d glasses with my lcd-monitor. It's not the newest model and the refresh rate is 25ms (I googled Syncmaster 193T), lol. However when trying to use it for 3d i only see a very flickering and disturbing picture with no experienced 3d-effect. Maybe is fixed automatically with faster lcd's. I believe the problem is that it takes some time for the LCD to optically switch from one state to another. So far I haven't heard of anyone trying with a monitor with 2ms or less. I agree it would be fun to hear some from such tests. Theoretically with 2ms you should be able to get at least 250 f/s with such device with good results. Could be that the electronic circuits in the device handles those refresh rates but not the LCD-chrystals themselves. Could also be that DVI don't have a sync signal that enables sync between the monitor and glasses but i'm only guessing here.
This is the only experience i have but if LCD's will be supported for stereo it would be great though.

With the cd for E-d glasses you get the e-d drivers that should work with ATI and LCD's as well. Couldn't try those drivers since the setup refuses e-d drivers and installs Nvidiadrivers (also included) since i have Nvidiacard so I have to stick to Nvidia drivers. Nvidia also continue their support on stereo with newer drivers from time to time so i think those drivers are way better anyway.

Recently Nvidia released new forceware drivers for 8800 and the newer series that seems to handle (at least some games even if for now the level of compability is low) stereovision! I'm testing as much as i have time to for now...
Anyway. The games that works now for a bit seems to work with c2duo as well, but as said: My sample of tests are too small yet.

When it comes to fps: If i turn some settings way to high the stereo effect simply goes away. Most regarding antialiasing and postprocessing (turn them off or set them at a very low level).
When the game is to heavy for the computer the fps in the game drops. (Just like usual). The refresh rate of the monitor and maintenance of stereovision remains.

It follows a vga dongle to the glasses. Simply connect it between your monitor and you graphiccard. There's a cable from the dongle to either the glasses or the ir-transmitters depending on if you have wireless glasses or not.

Myself i'm playing stereo with my trusty old P4 with 6800 Ultra card but i'm waiting to play stereo on my c2duo with 8800GTX. :)
Hopefully in a soon future. :D
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

Okay, so I did a little bit of searching and I can't find a place other than eD's website where I could order a pair of those glasses. Shame, really.

However, I could get a pair of Gainward 3D glasses for a lot cheaper. Do any of you have those? If so, opinions about them?
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

RTsa wrote:Okay, so I did a little bit of searching and I can't find a place other than eD's website where I could order a pair of those glasses. Shame, really.
maybe you can order a pair of shutter glasses here http://www.razor3donline.de/en/default.asp
or at ebay.

RTsa wrote: However, I could get a pair of Gainward 3D glasses for a lot cheaper. Do any of you have those? If so, opinions about them?
may you cant use it because in the past some video cards had a build-in Dongle and you need some glasses with a external dongle.
I searched at google for "Gainward 3D glasses" and get a lot of pictures of 3d glasses that seems to be identic with the elsa revelator so i dont would buy it.
RAZOR3D SHUTTER GLASSES @ NEC Diamond Pro 930SB(19" CRT) @ 6600GT
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Everyone seems to go for ED because of their "ATi driver" and "LCD compatibility".

Both these are next to absolutely useless.

Best to get ELSA Revelators for a few dollars on eBay. eBay.de always has many listings every week and they really go fr pennies.

There is no real difference between the ED and ELSA glasses. I know - I have both ED wired and wireless, AND both elsa wired and wireless.
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

On your system is maybe no real difference between the ED and ELSA glasses but i had a lot of problems with a ELSA Revelator. I had terrible whiteflashes caused by synchronisation problems in nearly every 2nd game!
DDuckMan
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DDuckMan »

scarab wrote:On your system is maybe no real difference between the ED and ELSA glasses but i had a lot of problems with a ELSA Revelator. I had terrible whiteflashes caused by synchronisation problems in nearly every 2nd game!
An anecdote. I'll add mine. I have had a pair of Revelators since they came out (maybe 7 years or so) and they have always worked flawlessly for me. That is on at least 4 or 5 different systems. My understanding is that they are almost identical hardware.
RAGEdemon
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by RAGEdemon »

Scarab, maybe you have faulty glasses.

Also I remember once investigating the ED hardware and remember that they reference the refresh rate signal directly instead of the ELSA which respond to the DDC signal only. Perhaps there is something wrong with your DDC line ie you havn't removed pin 12. More info on this can be found at the usual places.

You can put a 3.5mm jack on the revelators and plug them into the ED dongle and they will perfectly. They are really the same hardware, as DDuckMan said :)
Windows 11 64-Bit | 12900K @ 5.3GHz | 2080 Ti OC | 32GB 3900MHz CL16 RAM | Optane PCIe SSD RAID-0 | Sound Blaster ZxR | 2x 2000W ButtKicker LFE | nVidia 3D Vision | 3D Projector @ DSR 1600p | HP Reverb G2
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

RAGEdemon wrote:Scarab, maybe you have faulty glasses.

Also I remember once investigating the ED hardware and remember that they reference the refresh rate signal directly instead of the ELSA which respond to the DDC signal only.
maybe thats the problem.
RAGEdemon wrote: Perhaps there is something wrong with your DDC line ie you havn't removed pin 12. More info on this can be found at the usual places.
i have removed pin 12 but it dont solves the problem.
RAGEdemon wrote: You can put a 3.5mm jack on the revelators and plug them into the ED dongle and they will perfectly. They are really the same hardware, as DDuckMan said :)
the glasses are the same but the dongles are different!
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

I haven't ordered anything yet.

I live in Finland, so getting stuff from ebay.de won't work. (I think, not sure :?)

I'll do a few inquiries to the finnish stores. :)

Do the cheap Razor3D glasses here have any disadvantages compared to the eD glasses? They're like half the price..
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

You dont get an ATI driver from razor3d but the hardware is the same.
razor3d resells eDimensional hardware (for example: on the german version of their website you can buy the eDimensional G-Pad Pro Gyroscopic Gamepad)
RTsa
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RTsa »

Aah, that's simply great to hear. :)

I have no need for ATI drivers and I can just as well use old ones, as I don't have an LCD. (and it appears that it works with those kinda crappy anyhow)

I think I'll order glasses from the razor3d, then. I'll be sure to post my impressions on the games I try out here..and of course tell Crytek how awesome Far Cry looks with them. ;)

Thanks a HUGE bunch for all of you on your support! You're a really friendly and helpful community. :)

edit: Ordered and paid! :)
Now, the wait... :?
scowie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by scowie »

Hi Folks,

After reading the Toms Hardware Guide article on stereoscopic 3d gaming, and hearing existing users singing it's praises, i've decided to get myself a pair of shutter glasses for use with my 19" CRT (it does 100Hz@1024x768).

I currently have an ATI Radeon x1950pro but have decided to get an nVidia card so I can experience true 3D gaming. I have just bought a Geforce 7950 GT on Ebay (I will sell my ATI card there). Now I need the glasses...

I get the impression that since its nVidia drivers that do all the work, any kind of 3D glasses should work well, i.e. there is no need to go for the eDimentional ones if a cheaper pair can be found. I have seen a cheaper pair of shutter glasses on Ebay (from Germany) here. Are these good enough? They are Cyberhaven ones.
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

this glasses and the dongle exactly look like my razor3d glasses and like the eD's. Also there is an animated gif witch is also used on the razor3d site and this cyberhaven sells exactly the same stuff like razor3d.
I think razor3d and cyberhaven have the same supplier. (maybe eDimensional)

This glasses should work perfect with you rig :D You can buy it!
Nafta
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nafta »

Meh my first man coulnd't deliver the glasses in less than six weeks so i'm off ordering them from razer3d.
Crysis FTW!
scowie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by scowie »

The CyberHaven ones do seem to be the same as the Razor3d ones. They use the same picture on their sites.

Just one question...
Looking at the picture (click on top pic here), I cant see anywhere to plug the glasses in on that dongle. Im guessing the socket is just hidden in that picture, right? I have just ordered the Cyberhaven ones on Ebay so I hope they are OK!
scarab
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by scarab »

Yes, its just hidden on that picture.
--> http://www.artemus.kilu2.de/3d-brille/27042007.jpg
hrnt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hrnt »

RTsa wrote:Aah, that's simply great to hear. :)

I have no need for ATI drivers and I can just as well use old ones, as I don't have an LCD. (and it appears that it works with those kinda crappy anyhow)

I think I'll order glasses from the razor3d, then. I'll be sure to post my impressions on the games I try out here..and of course tell Crytek how awesome Far Cry looks with them. ;)

Thanks a HUGE bunch for all of you on your support! You're a really friendly and helpful community. :)

edit: Ordered and paid! :)
Now, the wait... :?
I bought Gainwards 3D glasses from verkkokauppa.com for 29.90EUR.

They work well, except that you need to wear them upside down :) But
I guess that should be relatively easy to fix (wired glasses with a 3.5mm miniplug connector to the VGA dongle).
hrnt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hrnt »

hrnt wrote: I bought Gainwards 3D glasses from verkkokauppa.com for 29.90EUR.

They work well, except that you need to wear them upside down :) But
I guess that should be relatively easy to fix (wired glasses with a 3.5mm miniplug connector to the VGA dongle).
Managed to fix the parallax inversion thing with this :) The blue
VGA cable has all 15 pins and goes to the graphics adapter and the grey
one has only 14 pins (pin 9 missing) and goes to the projector.

[/img]
C2D E6600 @ 2.97GHz, 7950GT
Benq MP720P (1024x768@85Hz)
Gainward 3D LCS

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”