BringBack3DV - Easy automatic 3D Vision installer for the newest NVIDIA drivers

Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

BringBack3DV - Easy automatic 3D Vision installer for the newest NVIDIA drivers

Post by Robert256 »

Hi Guys,

As all information in previous threads is becoming harder and harder to find, and more things get mixed up, I hereby make a new thread, so people can find information faster.
Thanks to the genious work of Losti and Schwing, I have completely automated their tricks, resulting in one simple program for installing 3D Vision with the newest NVIDIA drivers.
Basically, it is as simple as running the executable, no external software is needed. The software automatically adjusts the driver dlls and dll versions, if needed for your system.

You can download it here: https://www.imaging3d.com/BringBack3DV.zip

Just follow the simple steps in the Readme.txt:

BringBack3DV
============
This utility will re-enable 3D Vision for the newer NVIDIA display drivers up to version 452.06 (drivers above 452 unfortunately don't work anymore). It is based on the brilliant work by Losti and Schwing.

1. Preparation
==============
- Download the Standard (not DCH!) Geforce drivers from NVIDIA - https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en
- Download DDU (optional but recommended) - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/di ... nload.html
- Create a folder (for instance c:\temp) and put the downloaded driver installer (for instance 452.06-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe) in it
- Copy the BringBack3DV.exe program from this archive to the same folder

2. Patch the drivers
====================
- Disconnect from internet to avoid Win10 automatically downloading a new driver
- (Optional) Type "Change Device Installation Settings" in the control panel or start menu search, select 'No' to prevent Win10 automatically updating your drivers.
- (Recommended) Type 'gpedit.msc' in the start menu, find 'Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update' and enable 'Do not include drivers with Windows Updates' to prevent forced driver updates that are recently being pushed by Microsoft on Win10 20H2 systems.
- (Optional) Run DDU to completely uninstall the current driver, follow the DDU instructions
- Run BringBack3DV.exe to automatically extract and patch the driver files and follow the onscreen instructions

3. Installing the Geforce driver
================================
- After patching the files, the program will start the NVIDIA display driver installer
- Make sure the emitter pyramid is connected
- Select Custom(Advanced) installation
- Check all options (including 3D Vision Controller Driver)
- Check 'Perform a clean installation'
- Click Next to Install, if you get a "driver unsigned" warning, select "install anyway"

4. Install the 3D Vision driver
===============================
- After installing the Geforce driver, the program will start installing the 3D Vision driver

5. Done
=======
- Reconnect to internet, you should now have working 3D Vision again!

Extra information
===============
The program works on all Windows 10 versions, tested up to 22H2. Probably works for Win 7 and 8 too. Geforce Drivers confirmed working up to version 452.06.
N.B. The new drivers 456.38 and above unfortunately have a changed architecture and are NOT working anymore !!!!!!! Hope that Schwing and Losti can find a solution for this.

Note that DX11 games on Win10 versions 1903 and later require patching of the driver dlls above 430.39, after which the display drivers are not signed anymore.
Anti-cheat software like EAC may detect that, preventing certain games from running. The only way to completely prevent that is to stick to driver version 430.39 or Win10 versions 1809 and below.
For non-DX11 games, you can run the Standard Nvidia driver installer (without the patch) and afterwards use BringBack3DV to install only the 3D Vision drivers to prevent EAC problems.
For DX11 games with EAC there currently is no trick available to get 3D Vision working.

For newer monitors, make sure the refresh rate is set to 120 Hz.

Please only use this thread for feedback on BringBack3DV (not on manually patching or specific game problems etc.), to keep this information easy to find.
Have fun!

Robert
Last edited by Robert256 on Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Kermitou
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: BringBack3DV - Easy automatic 3D Vision installer for the newest NVIDIA drivers

Post by Kermitou »

Fantastic work ;-) incredible, can't believe you made it ...Thank you so much Robert256, it works for me, windows 10 64 bits, ver 1909, nvidia driver 445.75 ...So I can now play Doom Eternal and keep playing 3D games :-)
The only thing that afraid me, windows defender believe the file "bringback3DV.exe" is a virus, so I have to "force" it …
An easy way to keep going updating driver, windows and still benefit from the 3DV ...Thanks again !
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Re: BringBack3DV - Easy automatic 3D Vision installer for the newest NVIDIA drivers

Post by schwing »

Yeah it was fixed from changing how the app is packed, but I did get that false positive recently. So maybe something new is causing it.
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Hmmm, annoying that some virus-scanners are triggered by it. It probably is because it temporarily unpacks some executables.
We had this before, it was caused by using the UPX exepacker, so I took that out.
My Kaspersky isn’t triggered, so can’t test very well. Does your virus-scanner give some clues, like which file in the pack is suspicious to it?
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

All I can tell is explorer.exe doesn't like it. Here's what I've seen so far:
  • After opening the zip with explorer, I always get a false positive if I choose either Extract All or Run option after double-clicking the exe
  • When extracting with 7-zip, I sometimes get a false positive that prevents the extraction. This tends to happen if the zip itself is flagged by explorer (sometimes when downloading the zip)
  • When extracting to another folder using 7-zip and no false positive appears, running the exe sometimes shows the false positive, and sometimes an empty tmp file appears
  • Sometimes extracting and running the exe produces no false positive, and none of the temporary files show a false positive when scanned
Alfredkuac
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alfredkuac »

I have a question regarding this: "Click Next to Install, ignore the "driver unsigned" message"
I have two options to select...and I have to choose one if I want to continue, because if I close that window I'm getting the installation summary without installing the components :(
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Thanks to everyone involved for the work on this... One question.
Will this trigger any AntiCheat violations for say windows users still on 1809.
Am I better to just do it manually?
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

It's been reported that modifying an extracted gfx driver before installing it helps avoid problems with EAC. The Division 2 was mentioned and someone had to run it twice to get it going.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Still confused, unfortunately.
I guess I am asking if this tool actually modifies the OS dll's or files in 1809?
for example, if I wanted to roll back, to undo any problems that might occur is removing the driver with DDU enough?

What's the best way forward for 1809 users who don't have to do the typical work arounds with 1903 but still want drivers 3dfix manager won't update too?
If someone could clear this up for me I'd be appreciative. Only reason I would want the latest driver is for Doom Eternal right now since I am getting crashes.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Necropants wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 am Still confused, unfortunately.
I guess I am asking if this tool actually modifies the OS dll's or files in 1809?
for example, if I wanted to roll back, to undo any problems that might occur is removing the driver with DDU enough?

What's the best way forward for 1809 users who don't have to do the typical work arounds with 1903 but still want drivers 3dfix manager won't update too?
If someone could clear this up for me I'd be appreciative. Only reason I would want the latest driver is for Doom Eternal right now since I am getting crashes.
This tool automates all steps, so you don't have to do them manually. All it does, is patching the display drivers before installing them and update the 3D Vision driver to the correct version. If you use DDU (or install a new driver), all changes will be deleted.
Because the new display drivers need patching to get 3D Vision working on Win 10 1903 and 1909, the dlls won't be signed anymore, so anti-cheat software *may* detect that. But that is also the case for the manual method (as it is exactly the same). The only work-around for that is using old drivers (430.39 or before) OR don't update your Win10 to 1903 or later. BringBack3DV checks all that, and only applies the patches if they are needed for your system and driver version, so you still can use BringBack3DV for installing everything automatically.
Last edited by Robert256 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Alfredkuac wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:35 pm I have a question regarding this: "Click Next to Install, ignore the "driver unsigned" message"
I have two options to select...and I have to choose one if I want to continue, because if I close that window I'm getting the installation summary without installing the components :(
I've only seen this warning once, so don't remember what the exact text on those buttons was. Just choose the option that you want to install the unsigned driver anyway. I've edited the instructions above.
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Robert256 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:46 am
Necropants wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 am Still confused, unfortunately.

This tool automates all steps, so you don't have to do them manually. All it does, is patching the display drivers before installing them and update the 3D Vision driver to the correct version. If you use DDU (or install a new driver), all changes will be deleted.
Because the new display drivers need patching to get 3D Vision working on Win 10 1903 and 1909, the dlls won't be signed anymore, so anti-cheat software *may* detect that. But that is also the case for the manual method (as it is exactly the same). The only work-around for that is using old drivers (430.39 or before) OR don't update your Win10 to 1903 or later.
Hmm okay thanks, for the clarification. I asked mainly because I am definitely not upgrading to 1903 at this point. (I have made sure it's impossible.)
I'm asking specifically in terms of 1803 which worked perfectly with 3dfix manager for auto 3dvision injection before with no caveats.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Necropants wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:53 am Hmm okay thanks, for the clarification. I asked mainly because I am definitely not upgrading to 1903 at this point. (I have made sure it's impossible.)
I'm asking specifically in terms of 1803 which worked perfectly with 3dfix manager for auto 3dvision injection before with no caveats.
Then BringBack3DV should work on your system with the newest driver, and it won't apply the hex patch. If you run BringBack3DV it will say that the patches are not needed, and will use the original, signed driver.
You can try that, and can always abort the driver installation, so nothing will change your system.
Blacksmith60
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Blacksmith60 »

Thank you guys, for this great tool!

Lol - I can't even download the file from www.imaging3d.com, Avast simply blocked the connection !
But I guess it will be on the blog sooner or later, so just take it easy :)
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Blacksmith60 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:10 am Thank you guys, for this great tool!
Lol - I can't even download the file from www.imaging3d.com, Avast simply blocked the connection !
But I guess it will be on the blog sooner or later, so just take it easy :)
Wow, that is even more annoying! To make it easy to use, I put all utilities in one package, so you don't need to install anything. But it looks like some AV programs flag this behaviour as suspicious with their heuristic protection, giving some false positives. Maybe I have to contact the AV companies to remove this false positive detection...

Update: have mailed Avast about it...
Last edited by Robert256 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kermitou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kermitou »

Robert256 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:48 pm Hmmm, annoying that some virus-scanners are triggered by it. It probably is because it temporarily unpacks some executables.
We had this before, it was caused by using the UPX exepacker, so I took that out.
My Kaspersky isn’t triggered, so can’t test very well. Does your virus-scanner give some clues, like which file in the pack is suspicious to it?
it's the zip file itself, directly put in quarantaine with message on he zip file, find trojan win32/wacatac.cml ???
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Kermitou wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:33 am it's the zip file itself, directly put in quarantaine with message on he zip file, find trojan win32/wacatac.cml ???
What AV do you use? Then I can contact them. I compiled this myself, and am sure nothing is wrong. My Kaspersky Total Security says it's clean.

Edit: Oh wait, you already said that, Windows Defender. It seems it is rather difficult to solve problems Windows Defender is causing:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... b5b22fc1fc

The only other way is to unflag it yourself (or use another AV program):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-security

But I have contacted them anyway and hope the program will be whitelisted!
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Update: Good news! Microsoft have updated their definitions, much faster than I expected! So the false positive detection should be history soon. See this link with their final verdict and info on how to update your Windows Defender definitions if you still encounter the problem:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/su ... 4d65475766
Necropants
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Necropants »

Robert256 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:01 am
Necropants wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:53 am Hmm okay thanks, for the clarification. I asked mainly because I am definitely not upgrading to 1903 at this point. (I have made sure it's impossible.)
Then BringBack3DV should work on your system with the newest driver, and it won't apply the hex patch. If you run BringBack3DV it will say that the patches are not needed, and will use the original, signed driver.
You can try that, and can always abort the driver installation, so nothing will change your system.
Excellent, thank you. This was the answer I was looking for. Update OP maybe? =)
kakashisensei
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kakashisensei »

Thank you very much for this tool! Whenever I try to hexedit the dlls manually they never work. Ive been using it for all the drivers after 442.50 and they work for me, using win 10 1909.

Btw, since these dlls aren't signed they do not pass EAC (easy anti cheat) checking. Games like vermintide 2 for me. I've tried to look into signing the dlls myself and added to the certs to cert store, but I have been unsuccessful to get it to pass EAC. I think its related to the WHQL cert is not valid on these editted dlls no matter what.

The work around is that I used ntfs access to gain ownership of the nvidia driver store folder. I have the original dlls also stored in the same folder. So whenever I play an EAC game, I have to replace the editted dlls with the originals, and vice versa when I'm done. Kind of annoying. Have to kill some processes to do that outside of safe mode (steam, nv geforce experience, nv overlay).
Hekutoru
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hekutoru »

- Check all options (including 3D Vision Controller Driver)
This particular option does not show up, as the 3D driver is installed independently afterwards.
Updated to version 445.75 on Windows 10 1909, everything in working order.

Thanks for the tool.
Last edited by Hekutoru on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyrimer
Certif-Eyed!

Post by skyrimer »

This looks great, I'll try this asap to get the newer drivers running,thanks for this guys.
ASUS PG278QR Monitor
Windows 10 1809
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @3.60ghz
Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Corsair RM650 650W 80 Plus Gold
SSD M.2 2280 500GB
Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming oc
VR: Pimax 8k & Index controllers
Dazzawill
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dazzawill »

Absolutely fantastic this tool. Thanks so much for your efforts in producing it. Im staying on 1809, however, other than the anti cheat trigger what else will I lose if I choose to upgrade?
RS422
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by RS422 »

test
Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isaacvigo »

RS422 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 amtest
It works to me . No issues at all
RS422
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by RS422 »

No 3DVision with 445.75 driver. Win10 Pro 64bit (1909).
RS422
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by RS422 »

Isaacvigo wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:26 am
RS422 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 amNo 3DVision
It works to me . No issues at all
"3D Stereo" part is absent in NCP. All steps doing as in instruction in readme file :roll:
Then turn 3DFix Manager for check, write -
- Stereoscopic 3D Driver - not istalled
- 3D Controller Driver - installed
...upd...sorry, my mistake. USB pyramid and EDID Override turned off after DDU. All working!!! Bravo, Robert256!
Last edited by RS422 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
RS422
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by RS422 »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Robert256!
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Thanks guys, glad it works! But the real work was done by Losti and Schwing, they came up with the fixes
Baker1212
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Baker1212 »

This worked perfect for me. Still on 1809. 3d fix manager was giving me some trouble with latest drivers. Thank you.

What do we do with the files created in the "temp folder" from the install instructions? It's over 1 GB
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

You can just delete them!
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

Hello, just wanted to say thanks a lot for this tool and to keeping 3D Vision alive.

I will try it in a few days.
Axhillock
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Axhillock »

First of all, just wanna say thank you for your efforts to keep 3D vision relevant and trying to streamline the driver installation process. I've been trying to use the Bringback3d driver patch several times already and have followed instructions to the letter, however whenever I get to the point to the nvidia driver custom installation screen, there is no checkbox for 3D vision. I have tried using DCH and non-DCH for latest driver, used DDU to uninstall previous drivers, disconnected internet as asked, but nothing seems to work. Has anyone else encountered this problem and has been able to fix it?
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Axhillock wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:51 am First of all, just wanna say thank you for your efforts to keep 3D vision relevant and trying to streamline the driver installation process. I've been trying to use the Bringback3d driver patch several times already and have followed instructions to the letter, however whenever I get to the point to the nvidia driver custom installation screen, there is no checkbox for 3D vision. I have tried using DCH and non-DCH for latest driver, used DDU to uninstall previous drivers, disconnected internet as asked, but nothing seems to work. Has anyone else encountered this problem and has been able to fix it?
It was reported the option only shows up if you have a 3D Vision compatible monitor (or spoofed EDID). Maybe that is the problem?
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Robert256 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:54 am
Axhillock wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:51 am First of all, just wanna say thank you for your efforts to keep 3D vision relevant and trying to streamline the driver installation process. I've been trying to use the Bringback3d driver patch several times already and have followed instructions to the letter, however whenever I get to the point to the nvidia driver custom installation screen, there is no checkbox for 3D vision. I have tried using DCH and non-DCH for latest driver, used DDU to uninstall previous drivers, disconnected internet as asked, but nothing seems to work. Has anyone else encountered this problem and has been able to fix it?
It was reported the option only shows up if you have a 3D Vision compatible monitor (or spoofed EDID). Maybe that is the problem?
Only the driver for 3D controller (= IR emitter) should show up in Geforce driver setup as the 3D Vision driver has to be installed separately after the setup has finished.

Btw I've just released a beta version of 3D Fix Manager here which also offers an option for restoring 3D compatibility for Windows 10 v. 1903/ 1909.
Please feel free to try it here: here
AARP41298
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AARP41298 »

Hello, after de installation of 3dvision i got an error "failed to release D3DDev", i follow the instructions step by step. (like other i got the false-positive with Malware Fighter)
I will test the solution above me

Edit: Exec "BringBack3DV" as admin, i think the first time i only doble clicked it, my bad :v

My specs:
Gtx960 4gb
win10 1909
Muojo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Muojo »

Life took a huge turn for me so I have not been able to do any 3D gaming for close to a year now. I do appreciate the work you guys in put in. Much love. I hope to in the future buy a RTX 2080 Ti and upgrade to a modern system from my i7 930
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hi Robert,

tried your tool and works perfectly so far. Haven't installed the actual driver yet as I was already on latest driver version but the Geforce driver setup was modded correctly with your tool which means 3D Vision DLLs were updated to the correct version and Geforce DLL byte sequence was hacked. Also 3D controller driver was re-added to the Geforce driver setup. Also DCH drivers were rejected as they are not recommended.

Question: What ist the "Change Device Installation Settings" good for?

Out of curiosity: which program language did you use?
And how do you detect which Windows version is used (e.g. 1903 / 1909). So far I do this in 3DFM by just reading this info from the Windows registry but I'm unsure if this is reliable for the future.

If you like you can test my implementation for restoring 3D Vision compatibility for latest Windows 10 here via 3D Fix Manager Beta 1.75: viewtopic.php?f=181&t=23397&p=169931#p169931

Good job creating the BringBack3DV tool!

Cheers!
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Hi Paul,

My Win10 decided a few months ago to update the display driver, and downloaded the DCH driver without asking me, so I suddenly didn't have 3D Vision anymore. I found this fix, which should prevent Win10 from automatic updating drivers in the future: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/ch ... ws-10.html

But the good thing of all this was that I stumbled upon this forum looking for a solution and found the fixes by Losti and Schwing, resulting in BringBack3DV.
I wrote it in C/C++. To find the OS version, I use the RtlGetVersion function in ntdll.dll to get the build number.

Best regards, Robert
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Robert256 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:42 pm Hi Paul,

My Win10 decided a few months ago to update the display driver, and downloaded the DCH driver without asking me, so I suddenly didn't have 3D Vision anymore. I found this fix, which should prevent Win10 from automatic updating drivers in the future: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/ch ... ws-10.html

But the good thing of all this was that I stumbled upon this forum looking for a solution and found the fixes by Losti and Schwing, resulting in BringBack3DV.
I wrote it in C/C++. To find the OS version, I use the RtlGetVersion function in ntdll.dll to get the build number.

Best regards, Robert
Hi Robert,

thx for the tip. I'll try if I can get this method invoked via C#.

Another question which comes to my mind is how did you extract the Geforce driver setup? For me this was pretty cumbersome to make this work as the regular .NET / C# solutions all failed for this particular file (SharpCompress and 7zip C# wrapper). In the end only the console version of 7zip worked for me but this also meant that I didn't have much control about it. I just start the console application via .Net, pass the Geforce file to it as command line parameter and wait until the process closes again.

Cheers!

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”