Helifax identifies Chaperone problem with Asgard's Wrath

whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Helifax identifies Chaperone problem with Asgard's Wrath

Post by whyme466 »

Not really 3D Vision related, but I wanted to share this information for anyone using SteamVR/Revive to play the outstanding Asgard's Wrath game.

Even with my i9-9900X/2080Ti/32GB/high-speed SSDs setup, I have been getting game-killing stutter after playing the game for at least several minutes (down to 1-5 fps, persisting even in static environments). Eventually, I would have to stop the game and SteamVR to return to normal frame rates.

Through web searches, I discovered that Helifax has been researching this problem, and he identified the source of the issue - the interaction of SteamVR's dynamic Chaperone boundary with the game (he thinks problem arises when trying to determine back-buffers to draw). See https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issue ... -544295039. He recommends leaving the Chaperone boundary always on (only the outline on the floor). Because this approach tends to break immersion, I chose to use SteamVR Advanced Setup tool to disable the Chaperone entirely (a little more dangerous, since I already hit one wall with one of my controllers while the Chaperone boundary was enabled, when playing this highly active game). The game stutters have stopped. Thank you, Helifax!

I reported this issue to Sanzaru (game developers) via their Discord support, but I suspect the involvement of third party products like SteamVR and Revive (versus native Oculus environment) may slow any investigation.
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Helifax identifies Chaperone problem with Asgard's Wrath

Post by Dom »

Oh ya, I will pick this game up and play on my HTC Vive with Revive too. I have my Oculus Rift in the bedroom (not to much space there) and my HTC Vive in the living room. BTW I heard on Reddit that you need to install this game on an SSD or M.2 drive because there is so much data to load, and what I have been doing is installing all my games on an HDD disk drive 2TB drive. They said it can take up to two minutes to load after dying.

I will for sure try this game out, Thanks for pointing this problem out.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Skawen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Skawen »

Thank You for this information. This will help a lot :)
whyme466
Certif-Eyed!

Post by whyme466 »

Sanzaru has indicated this problem is not currently being investigated - because it does not occur in Oculus configuration. Steam support offered no help, either.

By the way, I was encouraged to vote for Asgard’s Wrath for VR GOTY while on their Discord forum - see https://thegameawards.com/news/fan-voti ... ame-awards, which I did...
Dual boot VR/3D Vision disk partitioning (multiple SSDs). 3D Vision - Windows 10 v1809, 425.31 driver, 32 GB, i9-9900X@4.5 GHz, hybrid-cooled 2080Ti, 4K LG E6 OLED TV with EDID. VR/geo-11 - 3080Ti with Vive Pro 2, also have Aero, wireless lens-modified Vive Pro, Index, Reverb G2, Pimax 8K.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”