[Guide] Win 10 v1903+, gfx driver v430.39+ 3DV Fix

SirBarnaby
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [Guide] Win 10 v1903+, gfx driver v430.39+ 3DV Fix

Post by SirBarnaby »

SirBarnaby wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:11 pm
Robert256 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:10 pm Very strange. Could you try to create a new folder, c://test and put the installer and BringBack3DV in it and try again?
On my system it just shows in the list. Could it be that you currently have a DCH driver installed?
Don’t know if that could be a cause.
I'll try to put it in c:test or something and make a video about my precise issue. I too thought that the issue would be a DCH driver, but i made sure to download a standard version. It's odd.
Okay, here's a demo of the issue i am having.
Note: I didnt use DDU. I'm left panicking over the idea of uninstalling my only gpu's drivers would brick my pc. I dont have an iGpu, otherwise i would have tried it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyfqvy4 ... e=youtu.be
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

That is very weird. The folder "nv3dvisionusb.driver" is present, so it should work. The patches seem to work fine, but for some reason it doesn't see the usb driver. Don't know if the installer checks if a 3d vision monitor and a pyramid is connected.
Or maybe your currently installed driver is DCH and that alters the installation. Do you have the nvidia control panel in your taskbar? Just guesses though...
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Windows 10 has a basic display driver built in that kicks in if you have no Nvidia driver installed. So you won't have any bricking problems. DDU only cleans out the Nvidia driver files.
Win 10 v1909 / 1x Nvidia 980Ti GPU (v452.22, 1080p)
SirBarnaby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SirBarnaby »

Robert256 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:26 pm That is very weird. The folder "nv3dvisionusb.driver" is present, so it should work. The patches seem to work fine, but for some reason it doesn't see the usb driver. Don't know if the installer checks if a 3d vision monitor and a pyramid is connected.
Or maybe your currently installed driver is DCH and that alters the installation. Do you have the nvidia control panel in your taskbar? Just guesses though...
I think i'm missing some key words here, what do you guys mean for a pyramid connected to a USB driver? Some NVIDIA 3d gadget? Is it required? Also my monitor is just a basic AOC model, no 3DVision markings.

Feels like i'm doing something obvious wrong.
I want to get my NVIDIA 3d working so i could use the most basic discovery glasses.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Maybe that is the problem. It could be that the driver detects that your system is not 3d vision compatible.
SirBarnaby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SirBarnaby »

Robert256 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 am Maybe that is the problem. It could be that the driver detects that your system is not 3d vision compatible.
It used to work before the 3D Vision was wiped out of nvidia's drivers.
And if it really does think that my pc is not compatible, any way to override it?
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

You don't have the 3d vision glasses or the IR emitter, so all you can do is view 3D in red/cyan. I don't know why it doesn't show the driver (probably because your monitor is not supported), but in your setup the IR USB driver is not needed, as you don't have one. Have you tried to install the 3D Vision driver after the display driver? You could skip installing the normal display driver (you already installed that one), by not allowing it to make changes (press the No button when asked). After that, the 3D Vision driver will be installed by BringBack3DV.
Don't know if that will work. Otherwise maybe you could spoof the EDID from your monitor, but have no experience with that.
SirBarnaby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SirBarnaby »

Robert256 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:20 am You don't have the 3d vision glasses or the IR emitter, so all you can do is view 3D in red/cyan. I don't know why it doesn't show the driver (probably because your monitor is not supported), but in your setup the IR USB driver is not needed, as you don't have one. Have you tried to install the 3D Vision driver after the display driver? You could skip installing the normal display driver (you already installed that one), by not allowing it to make changes (press the No button when asked). After that, the 3D Vision driver will be installed by BringBack3DV.
Don't know if that will work. Otherwise maybe you could spoof the EDID from your monitor, but have no experience with that.
Sure, i can try, but will that show up in the nvidia control panel?

EDIT: No way, it works. And by that i mean it shows up in the control panel. Haven't tried any games yet, but it's looking very good so far.

EDIT2: Didn't work with ins:sandstorm and EFT. EFT's anticheat blocked the loading of the file, but i didnt get any message with insurgency.
I assume these are not signed? Any possibility of us getting signed drivers for them?

EDIT3: Various games only toggle between 2 viewports when i toggle the 3d key. Such as dirt rally or Far cry 4. Half-Life 2 worked flawlessly.
Scarhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Scarhead »

Hi there,
I just wanted to start playing Gears 5 on MS Game Pass. But EAC prevents it because I installed the latest nv driver with Roberts tool. Is there an easy way to swap files to bypass EAC? And if so, what files have to be replaced?
Scarhead
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Scarhead »

sorry double post.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

Scarhead wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:17 pm Hi there,
I just wanted to start playing Gears 5 on MS Game Pass. But EAC prevents it because I installed the latest nv driver with Roberts tool. Is there an easy way to swap files to bypass EAC? And if so, what files have to be replaced?
The easiest way is to install 430.39.

Switching system dlls is not very easy while running Windows, as you can give yourself access, for instance with NTFSAccess, but you can't delete it when it is being used. So you would have to use another tool like IOBit Unlocker on the dlls. Never tried that, but may make your system unstable.

You would only have to swap nvwgf2um.dll and nvwgf2umx.dll
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Just make sure to close Steam and any programs that the app says has the files open. Closing them won't make the system unstable (nothing uses the files when the system is in Safe Mode anyway).
Last edited by schwing on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
tadpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: [Guide] Win 10 1903+ 430.39+ 3DV Fix - Beta Version

Post by tadpole »

Many thanks for the great post, this is looking ideal. Unfortunately this isn't working for me, I am still getting the "Untrusted system file" on nvwgf2umx.dll. I am using driver 441.87 and confirm 3dvision is working on other games so the installation went ok. I have also tried a clean install following DDU and then following these steps. The installation warned about unsigned drivers which I read in another post is expected.

With 3dvision turned off, I get this error every time with EAC on the division 2. Also, oddly, while the loading bar moves across the bottom of the EAC splash screen, the background of the splash screen turns invisible.

Elsewhere in the thread, 441.87 seemed to be the correct version to try, but these instructions refer to 411.87. Is this a typo or am I using the wrong version? I think you mentioned in another post that this method worked for all versions prior to 442.

Isaacvigo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:21 pm Ive found a way to fix "the division 2 " issue (and all the anticheats in general): (tested in W10 1909 , Nvidia 411.87)

1- change the extension of the dll modified by dl_ ( nvwgf2um.dl_ & nvwgf2umx.dl_ )
2- Unzip the official driver package with 7z
3- Replace the original dl_ with the dl_ that you have renamed in the corresponding folder
4- Install those drivers from the uncompresed folder with setup.exe
5- Complete 3d drivers with 3d fix manager
:woot U are ready!! :woot
The first time u run "the division 2" maybe doesn´t work, but next one time it goes flawless with not anticheat messages at all !!
Doesnt need to change permissions at all
No need to found neither modiffies any archives in your system disk

Im happy to make this discovering and share it :D

Making this way the driver stays "signed" and causes not isssues at all :D

********** :shutter *********

To try this way i use this modified dlls pack ( http://www.mediafire.com/file/r2zvd47m8 ... n.zip/file )
With 441.87 oficial standart drivers ( https://www.nvidia.es/download/driverRe ... /156327/es )
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

tadpole wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 pm Many thanks for the great post, this is looking ideal. Unfortunately this isn't working for me, I am still getting the "Untrusted system file" on nvwgf2umx.dll. I am using driver 441.87 and confirm 3dvision is working on other games so the installation went ok. I have also tried a clean install following DDU and then following these steps. The installation warned about unsigned drivers which I read in another post is expected.
Try 430.39, see my post above
tadpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tadpole »

Many thanks for the reply. I'd rather not downgrade the version if possible as my games seem happy with this version (IIRC some games complained that my driver wasn't up to date on older versions) and 3d vision is working great.

If others have got this to work with EAC, I'm wondering what I might be missing. Is there something missing from the instructions that is implicit/assumed but that I mi8ght not have picked up on. Or maybe EAC has been updated with a division2 update and this method no longer works? Can anyone confirm this still works for 441.87?
Robert256 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:06 am Try 430.39, see my post above
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

tadpole wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:49 pm Many thanks for the reply. I'd rather not downgrade the version if possible as my games seem happy with this version (IIRC some games complained that my driver wasn't up to date on older versions) and 3d vision is working great.

If others have got this to work with EAC, I'm wondering what I might be missing. Is there something missing from the instructions that is implicit/assumed but that I mi8ght not have picked up on. Or maybe EAC has been updated with a division2 update and this method no longer works? Can anyone confirm this still works for 441.87?
It's simple. The display drivers above 430.39 need patching to have them work on Win10 1903 and later. This means they won't be signed anymore. And EAC detects that. So either you have to:

- install the newest display driver without patches (then 3D Vision won't work)
or
- patch the newest display driver (3D Vision works, but EAC may detect that, so some games don't run)
or
- you install 430.39 (3D Vision will work, and EAC will work as the display driver doesn't need patching).
or
- you use Win10 1809 or below
or
- you find a way to swap the patched/unpatched dll's when needed
or
- you contact the developers of EAC and ask them to make an exception in their software for the 3D Vision driver patch

Of these options installing 430.39 seems by far the least hassle, but of course I don't know if your games are compatible with that.
I don't play games, so don't have experience with EAC. If EAC checks the driver signature only at computer startup, it might be possible to swap the dlls at a later point, but I doubt that is the case.
tadpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tadpole »

Yes, all the steps are exactly as I understand it and was my expectation. In the past I had used a script to swap the patched/unpatched dlls (and am using this again now) as nothing seemed to be locking them on my machine.

My query was based on Isaacvigo apparently (and counterintuitively) getting it to work regardless of these steps being needed and other posters also saying that his method worked for them. It would therefore appear that it is (or has been) possible for 441.87 using Isaacvigo's steps.
Robert256 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:17 am It's simple. The display drivers above 430.39 need patching to have them work on Win10 1903 and later. This means they won't be signed anymore. And EAC detects that. So either you have to:

- install the newest display driver without patches (then 3D Vision won't work)
or
- patch the newest display driver (3D Vision works, but EAC may detect that, so some games don't run)
or
- you install 430.39 (3D Vision will work, and EAC will work as the display driver doesn't need patching).
or
- you use Win10 1809 or below
or
- you find a way to swap the patched/unpatched dll's when needed
or
- you contact the developers of EAC and ask them to make an exception in their software for the 3D Vision driver patch

Of these options installing 430.39 seems by far the least hassle, but of course I don't know if your games are compatible with that.
I don't play games, so don't have experience with EAC. If EAC checks the driver signature only at computer startup, it might be possible to swap the dlls at a later point, but I doubt that is the case.
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

Could you share your script to swap the DLL files please ?

Or at least tell me which DLL files have to be swapped ?
I could try to make a little powershell scripts when I'll have time.

Thanks !
tadpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tadpole »

Here is the script I use (remove the .txt extension), you'll need to edit the path in line 2 to the dlls to match the one in the OP as this seems to be slightly different for each installation. The script also turns 3d on and off, you can delete the lines with "nvstlink" if that isn't of use to you. Also, the script needs to be run elevated.

In the folder with the dlls, you'll need 2 versions of each file, one modified to work with 3dvision and one clean one. The OP explains how to get each of these files, I can upload mine if you wish, but they are only for 441.87 so won't be of use if you have a different version.

The original files should have the correct names ("nvwgf2um.dll" and "nvwgf2umx.dll") and the modified files should be renamed to "nvwgf2um(mod).dll" and "nvwgf2umx(mod).dll" for the script to work. Since this isn't initially compatible with 3dvision, you'll need to run the script once ready to change that.

You need to "take ownership" of all 4 files, again using the instructions and tool provided in the OP.

The way I have set the script up is for the menu to stay open while 3dvision is turned on. This is to remind me to turn it off again just in case I run the division 2 with the files still modified, I don't want to risk "upsetting" EAC too many times.

Let me know if this works for you and if I have forgotten to mention anything about it. Feel free to modify the script and use it as you wish but don't put me on Santa's naughty list if the script breaks anything!

Also I'd still like to hear from anyone who has got Isaacvigo's method to work and any suggestions as to why it isn't working for me.
ZePRiNCE wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:49 am Could you share your script to swap the DLL files please ?

Or at least tell me which DLL files have to be swapped ?
I could try to make a little powershell scripts when I'll have time.

Thanks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

You can find the original and patched dlls in the display driver folder when installing with BringBack3DV (you don’t actually have to do the driver installation, but only do the driver extraction and patching and find the files before proceeding to the installer). They have extensions .dl_ and .org. These are compressed, so to get the unpacked dlls, just type ‘expand nvwgf2um.dl_ nvwgf2um.dll’ and for the umx dll too.
That way, you have the patched files for the newest driver.
Isaacvigo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Isaacvigo »

The problem with the eac currently, is insurmountable, as Robert said, until someone finds a solution ...
My method worked when I reported it ..
But so many things are continually being updated, so that today the eac is insurmountable without signed drivers.

P.D.- (Actually , im playing "the division 2" in geforce now service)
tadpole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tadpole »

Many thanks for the update, yes it looks like an eac or similar update probably broke this, at least I know now not to waste any more time trying to fix it. I might also update to the latest version of the drivers that still work with 3dvision (I'll scroll back through the thread later to find out which one) as this was all that was holding me back.

Thanks for the tip re geforce now, I tried it with the free version and as long as you pick a time that isn't too busy (long queues due to so many people being at home) it works very well so I might stick with that idea.
Isaacvigo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:50 pm The problem with the eac currently, is insurmountable, as Robert said, until someone finds a solution ...
My method worked when I reported it ..
But so many things are continually being updated, so that today the eac is insurmountable without signed drivers.

P.D.- (Actually , im playing "the division 2" in geforce now service)
whitedeathsheep
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by whitedeathsheep »

Hey all,

I've been working on trying to get 3D vision up and running on my PC, but have not had much success. I am currently on win 1909 with the 4575 driver (2080 super card). I have tried Robert256's BringBack3DV method a few times following the directions as written. I have been able to install everything seemingly without issue, using 3d fix to install the 3d vision driver. The issues that I have are:

1. I don't have the stereoscopic 3d settings in the NCP
2. When using 3d fix to run the setup wizard I am met with the driver mismatch error

I have tried my best to troubleshoot this. I checked my system information in the NCP and the driver type states that it is standard, and when downloading standalone drivers I did not select DCH. I also used FVIE to check that the versions were correct in my NVIDIA corporation folder, which was both set to version 4575. I also tried a couple of times to manually based on suggestions by Losti from viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23411

1) Clean Install 431.86 (I used the 445.75 driver)
2) Download 425.31.
3) Unzip the driver installer, then find the 3DVision folder and unzip the 3DVision.exe package.
4) Run the FVIE version editor, and change the NvSCPAPI.dll and NvSCPAPI64.dll versions to 4.3186
5) Run the Setup.exe in the folder to install 3D Vision. (couldn't get past this step)
6) At activation, choose Discover for red/blue anaglyph.

I never managed to successfully do this, because I always ran into an issue installing the 3D vision driver, getting an error message saying nvstusb.inf could not copy, and then asking for a different file location or the Stereoscopic 3d disk 1 location. I think this basically everything that I've tried, and I don't know exactly where to go from here. The closest I was able to get was using BringBack3DV but I could never get the setup to work. Thanks to all those who have put in a ton of work and have been helping everyone out.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

Try 3D Fix Manager's new beta.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

whitedeathsheep wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:02 pm I've been working on trying to get 3D vision up and running on my PC, but have not had much success. I am currently on win 1909 with the 4575 driver (2080 super card). I have tried Robert256's BringBack3DV method a few times following the directions as written. I have been able to install everything seemingly without issue, using 3d fix to install the 3d vision driver. The issues that I have are:

1. I don't have the stereoscopic 3d settings in the NCP
2. When using 3d fix to run the setup wizard I am met with the driver mismatch error
Why do you use 3d fix after installing th driver with BringBack3DV? This overwrites the 3D Vision driver installed by BB3DV, so no wonder you get a driver mismatch.
aeneas01
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aeneas01 »

just purchased a 2080ti for my windows 10 machine - does the 3d issue impact 3d discs AND ripped 3d mkv files? i've backed up my entire library to mkv files and won't be using any discs, so i'm just concerned about the ability to play my 3d mkv files using my new card... in short, do i have to go through the process detailed in this thread if using only 3d files? thanks!
whitedeathsheep
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by whitedeathsheep »

Robert256 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:34 am Why do you use 3d fix after installing th driver with BringBack3DV? This overwrites the 3D Vision driver installed by BB3DV, so no wonder you get a driver mismatch.
That is a great question. I think I started with the 3DFM and couldn't get it to work, so I started looking around and then tried BringBack3DV as the next thing. After running the process I went back to 3DFM because it was the first thing I tried? Regardless, I used the 3DFM linked and it seems to be working so far.
Robert256
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Robert256 »

aeneas01 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am just purchased a 2080ti for my windows 10 machine - does the 3d issue impact 3d discs AND ripped 3d mkv files? i've backed up my entire library to mkv files and won't be using any discs, so i'm just concerned about the ability to play my 3d mkv files using my new card... in short, do i have to go through the process detailed in this thread if using only 3d files? thanks!
Just use BringBack3DV to install the new drivers, it's easy, just follow these simple instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=23752

I watch 3D movies from files almost every evening, using Stereoscopic Player, works fine.
aeneas01
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aeneas01 »

Robert256 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:07 am
aeneas01 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:28 am just purchased a 2080ti for my windows 10 machine - does the 3d issue impact 3d discs AND ripped 3d mkv files? i've backed up my entire library to mkv files and won't be using any discs, so i'm just concerned about the ability to play my 3d mkv files using my new card... in short, do i have to go through the process detailed in this thread if using only 3d files? thanks!
Just use BringBack3DV to install the new drivers, it's easy, just follow these simple instructions:

I watch 3D movies from files almost every evening, using Stereoscopic Player, works fine.
thanks very much for your reply, greatly appreciated!

so, to be clear, i need to install drivers using bringback3dv even for 3d mkv file viewing, the current nvidia drivers i currently have installed (latest) won't work? and assuming that i have to install drivers using bringback3dv, they won't get automatically updated/overwritten down the road? thanks again.

edit: fwiw i use potplayer + madvr
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

The problem is 3D itself, not the files. So anything 3D won't work on your computer without some fix. Your installation of BringBack3DV will break once you update an nvidia driver, but that's a manual thing (e.g. updating the driver, or reinstalling Windows removes the Nvidia driver). Updating Windows 10 has not proven to break the fix so far. So essentially you won't have anything to worry about.
Last edited by schwing on Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aeneas01
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aeneas01 »

awesome, perfect, thanks for the helpful response!
schwing wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:56 pm     The problem is 3D itself, not the files. So anything 3D won't work on your computer without some fix. Your installation of BringBack3DV will break once you update an nvidia driver, but that's a manual thing (e.g. reinstalling Windows removes the Nvidia driver). Updating Windows 10 has not proven to break the fix so far. So essentially you won't have anything to worry about.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Robert256 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:07 am

Something interesting I noticed yesterday: Power DVD 18 Ultimate does not require the Geforce DLL hack to watch 3D movies.

Also surprisingly not all games are broken without the hack. I've started to test some games I've currently installed. For DirectX 9 games we seem to have good chances that 3D works without the DLL hack. But for DX11 games chances are really low and even if a DX11 game title works then the 3D overlay is broken when pressing CTRL + F3 / F4).

I'll test more and release the list here as soon as I'm finished.
Last edited by Pauldusler on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

Pauldusler wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:22 am Something interesting I noticed yesterday: Power DVD 18 Ultimate does not require the Geforce DLL hack to watch 3D movies.

Also surprisingly not all games are broken without the hack. I've started to test some games I've currently installed. For DirectX 9 games we seem to have good changes that 3D works without the DLL hack. But for DX11 games chances are really low and even if a DX11 game title works then the 3D overlay is broken when pressis CTRL + F3 / F4).

I'll test more and release the list here as soon as I'm finished.
Same observation here.

When I tried BringBack3DV, I tried the following :
- Say "No" to the UAC for the driver setup
- Say "Yes" for the 3D Vision Setup.
That way, I was able to play DX9 Games in 3D (tested on Dead Space 2) and was still able to run EAC protected games.

But DX11 games were not in 3D.
To be precise, with Ctrl+T I was able to see a minor "point of view" change, So I guess it was switching the eye displayed, but still only one eye...

I observe exactly the same behavior with your 3DFM 1.75 b2 when I enable 3D but uncheck the "Geforce driver fix (Windows 10 only)".
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

DX9 stereo for games and the 3D photo viewer always worked without modding the files.
WickedScav
Cross Eyed!

Post by WickedScav »

Pauldusler wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:22 am Also surprisingly not all games are broken without the hack. I've started to test some games I've currently installed. For DirectX 9 games we seem to have good chances that 3D works without the DLL hack. But for DX11 games chances are really low and even if a DX11 game title works then the 3D overlay is broken when pressing CTRL + F3 / F4).
This is actually known. This Windows 10 1903+ and 430.39+ gfx drivers dll hack is mainly for Unreal Engine 4 and Unity based games (which otherwise would crash upon starting). Most other DX11 games should still work post-1903 and post-430.39, even without the hack.
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

Hi,

I tested some games anyway as I wanted to verify which one was still working without the Geforce DLL hack for Windows 10 v. 1903 / 1909 and which requires the fix not matter what.

First I tested some Direct X 9 titles and the result was that all Direct X 9 titles indeed still worked and do not require the Geforce driver patching.
Everything worked - even the green text overlay which tells us about the driver profile name and the 3D Vision rating.

This is the list of DirectX 9 games I tested:
  • A Hat in Time
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Candle
  • Crysis
  • Dead Space 2
  • Dungeons
  • ENSLAVED: Odyssey
  • Far Cry
  • Far Cry 2
  • FORCED
  • Ghostbusters: The Video Game
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Nine Parchments
  • Outlast
  • Risen
  • The Walking Dead
Then I tested some DirectX 11 titles. For the big game engines there are simple rules if 3D works or not.

Unreal Engine:
Definitely not working is Unreal Engine 3 / 4 combined with DirectX 11 and 3D Vision Automatic mode. Interestingly I found one single UE 3 game which worked although using DirectX 11: "Thief (2014)". It works because it has built in 3D support - so instead of using 3D Vision Automatic mode it uses 3D Vision Direct mode. This seems to avoid the crash on game start.

Tested Unreal Engine 3 DirectX 11 games (they all crashed):
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • Shadow Complex Remastered
Tested Unreal Engine 4 DirectX 11 games (they all crashed):
  • Darksiders III
  • Little Nightmares
  • State of Mind
  • The Flame in the Flood
Unity Engine
For Unity Direct X 11 games there is a real high chance that 3D works without the Geforce Driver hack. Only 1 game didn't work for me.

Tested Unity games:
  • Black The Fall (works)
  • FE (works)
  • Ghost of a Tale (works)
  • Hand of Fate 2 (works)
  • Hollow Knight (works)
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps (doesn't work)
Engines with built in 3D support:
When 3D is natively supported in a game there's a good chance that it will run although there might be smaller issues.

Tested DirectX 11 games with native 3D support which worked:
  • GRID Autosport (little issue in 2D videos)
  • Max Payne 3 (Mouse cursor broken)
  • Thief
Other game engines:

For other game engine results were mixed. But chances are not so bad as I assumed that 3D would still work without the Geforce DLL hack.

Results of other games which neither use Unity nor Unreal Engine:
  • Assassin's Creed Rogue (Anvil Engine): Works
  • Battlefield 4 (Frostbite Engine): Doesn't work
  • Elex: Doesn't work
  • Far Cry New Dawn (Dunia 2 Engine): Doesn't work
  • Frostpunk (Liquid Engine): Works
  • Gothic II Gold Edition: (ZenGin Engine): Works
  • Lords Of The Fallen (Fledge Engine): Works
  • Reident Evil 2 (RE Engine): Doesn't work
  • Resident Evil 7 (RE Engine): Doesn't work
  • The Evil Within (Id Tech 5 Engine): Doesn't work
  • The Witcher 3 (REDengine): Doesn't work
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands (AnvilNex): Doesn't work
So 4 of 12 games worked which is not too bad. If we added Unity games to the statistic it would be even better.

Finally I tested Open GL and DirectX 12 games. Results were that these games do not require the Geforce DLL hack either.

These are the games I tested (all worked):
  • Doom (OpenGL)
  • SOMA (OpenGL)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (DirectX 12)

Summary:

Only DirectX 11 games need Geforce driver patching. DirectX 9, DirectX 12 and OpenGL still work perfectly on Windows v.1903 / 1909 without the path.
For DirectX 11 titles mainly Unreal Engine 3 and 4 games are broken. Best chances that 3D still works is for Unity Engine games and those who have built in 3D support.
Something which is commonly broken for DX 11 games is the ingame green text overlay + 3D depth bar. Either it is missing completely or renders black.

After applying Schwing's hack all DirectX 11 games fully work again. Also the green text overlay is back.

Conclusion for 3D Fix Manager:

In next beta version of 3DFM the Geforce driver hack will be only applied when starting a DirectX 11 game in stereo 3D via the "Play 3D" button. Currently it's applied / undone when toggling 3D on / off which is really unnecessary if one just wants to watch a 3D movie / 3D screenshot or play a game in non DX 11 mode. Instead undoing 3D hack will be done when starting a game in 2D mode - the user gets a warning if the hack is still applied and he can decide whether to undo it. Also the hack is undone when 3D Fix Manager is closed.
Last edited by Pauldusler on Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schwing
Cross Eyed!

Post by schwing »

This makes sense, and thanks for testing. My theory is DX9, DX11, and DX12 stereo are all separate driver implementations. Also Shadow of the Tomb Raider uses direct mode, so it makes sense to me why it would work if you're using 3DTVPlay or something. It crashes for me since I am testing just passive DX12 stereo (crash or 2D for every DX12 app I tried). So my current DX12 stereo findings are that it works for 3DTVPlay and not for passive stereo.
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

Pauldusler wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:22 pm Tested DirectX 11 games with native 3D support which worked:
  • Thief
Curious. I just retested Max Payne 3 after reading your post, but it still doesn't work without the DLL hack.
Maybe because I have a different setup (3DTV, no pyramid).

But anyway, doing the DLL hack for all DX11 games will be OK for everyone I think :)
CM: Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7 8086k Delid @ 5.2GHz / 1.405v
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3333 MHz CL16 (2x16Go)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition
3DTV: LG 65C6V
ZePRiNCE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZePRiNCE »

deleted
CM: Asus ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7 8086k Delid @ 5.2GHz / 1.405v
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3333 MHz CL16 (2x16Go)
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition
3DTV: LG 65C6V
Pauldusler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Pauldusler »

ZePRiNCE wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:59 am
Pauldusler wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:22 pm Tested DirectX 11 games with native 3D support which worked:
  • Thief
Curious. I just retested Max Payne 3 after reading your post, but it still doesn't work without the DLL hack.
Maybe because I have a different setup (3DTV, no pyramid).

But anyway, doing the DLL hack for all DX11 games will be OK for everyone I think :)
Is Max Payne 3 crashing for you on startup / renders mono / broken? What issue did you experience exactly? My tests were all done on a 3D Vision monitor (Asus PG278QR).
But anyway I'll add the fix for every DX11 game. In 3DFM we already have the information for each game whether it uses DX9, 11, 12, openGL...
I'll release a new beta for 3DFM tonight where driver patching is only applied for DX 11 titles.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”