I finally made my own HMD!

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

I finally made my own HMD!

Post by DevilMaster »

I had this idea for a while now, and about a month ago I had ordered the 2K Topfoison display from China. Unfortunately, when it arrived and I connected it to my PC, I discovered that it was ONLY compatible with one resolution, namely 2560x1440. Unfortunately, I don't have any other device that supports that resolution, so I could not make it work because I could not set my video card to output that resolution in the first place. Topfoison would not take it back because it would cost too much, so I bit the bullet and archived it as a false start (hoping to be able to sell it on Ebay).

Next step: order the 1080p display. This, I was sure it would work, because my gaming PC was already set to 1080p.
I also ordered a VR "receptacle" for smartphones (what's the correct name for those objects? They are certainly not HMDs, because they lack the D part) I would be able to wear comfortably, a mini-HDMI cable and a micro-USB cable.

When everything arrived, I connected the display to the PC and verified that it worked. Next, I ran a stereoscopic game and carefully aligned the display to the lenses of the "receptacle", so that the view would be centered and in focus.
I fixed the display in position with duct tape, closed what now had actually become an HMD, and fixed the control board in front of it with more duct tape.

End result:

And this is a still shot from a Prey level I'm making, seen from my HMD:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: I finally made my own HMD!

Post by cybereality »

Very cool!
nimatoed
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: I finally made my own HMD!

Post by nimatoed »

Super cool! I'm glad at least SOMEONE is still out there hacking together DIY HMD's.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”