How many and what buttons are supported

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
Paterson
One Eyed Hopeful

How many and what buttons are supported

Post by Paterson »

I am looking for a way to create over a hundred new buttons and about 8 - 9 axis for a bunch of different games.
I do not want to use keys, it will just create problems, I cannot kep a key held while i am trying to type in game chats etc...

Basically i can currently plug in both my x52 HOTAS, Xbox 360, my logitec flight stich and (if i had one) a steering wheel all at the same time and every one of them will an independant HID device and non of them will interfear with any keyboard keys.

im about finished building my desk and i plan to intagrate a full control panel into it which i can use for different tasks like gaming, programming and application control.
i want to create a key set the same way any game peripheral does and use that to interact with my PC without overtaking my keyboard or mouse.

does freePIE have to ability to use non windows based keys (aka unique HID keys) or is it limited to a set few key inputs ?
WestleyTwain
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: How many and what buttons are supported

Post by WestleyTwain »

Paterson wrote:I am looking for a way to create over a hundred new buttons and about 8 - 9 axis for a bunch of different games.
I do not want to use keys, it will just create problems, I cannot kep a key held while i am trying to type in game chats etc...

Basically i can currently plug in both my x52 HOTAS, Xbox 360, my logitec flight stich and (if i had one) a steering wheel all at the same time and every one of them will an independant HID device and non of them will interfear with any keyboard keys.

im about finished building my desk and i plan to intagrate a full control panel into it which i can use for different tasks like gaming, programming and application control.
i want to create a key set the same way any game peripheral does and use that to interact with my PC without overtaking my keyboard or mouse.

does freePIE have to ability to use non windows based keys (aka unique HID keys) or is it limited to a set few key inputs ?
I've had success using several emulated vJoy controllers. Maybe try that?
Jabberwock
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jabberwock »

vJoy seems to work with the limit set by Windows - 128 buttons, 8 axes and 4 hats. They do not show up in the Windows setup panel, but other programs do see them. However, note that there might be a limit due to the HID packet limit - as I understand, the higher resolution of the axes, the less space remains for other things.

You could probably bypass FreePIE and other proprietary software by using a microcontroller - this article has some info with further links:
https://hackaday.com/2014/02/14/the-128 ... controller

However, first check out (for example with FreePIE) whether the target software (a game etc. what you want to use it with) actually can handle so many inputs from one device. If not, it might indeed be better to split the inputs into several controllers.
FrenchyKiel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FrenchyKiel »

hi
if you have more than 8 axes, you could use more vjoy devices.....

if you have developped your interface and you can get data from your devices its not difficult to implement in FreePie if needed

regards
Thierry
WestleyTwain
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WestleyTwain »

FrenchyKiel wrote:hi
if you have more than 8 axes, you could use more vjoy devices....
I should have been more clear; this is what I meant. Multiple vJoy controllers at once.

Return to “FreePIE”