Freepie crashes - need help - cant figure out whats going on

Official forum for open source FreePIE discussion and development.
wizzle111
One Eyed Hopeful

Freepie crashes - need help - cant figure out whats going on

Post by wizzle111 »

Freepie.gui has stopped working.
There is no log file created, it makes a crashdump, but I cant decrypt it.
Freepie works on my sons computer, and my workshop computer, but not on my gaming computer. All are win7 ultimate x64, sp1. Trouble pc is an octocore amd, other 2 are dual and quad core boxes.
I have reinstalled c++ 2010, .net 4.7, newest nvidia video drivers, windows update is fully updated.
I have downgraded freepie to earlier versions with no success.
Nothing is blocked on the properties menu, or none that I can see is being blocked.
Ran as admin, compatibility mode, reduced resolution, reduced color depth, anything thats related to the video.
I have closed msi afterburner, uninstalled, shut down all antivirus...everything.
I cant find the common denominator between all 3 machines that makes it work on 2, but not the main gaming machine.

Information on troubleshooting this is woefully lacking, and I dont think its a common issue.

One odd characteristic, it will run when I rdp to my machine, but crashes the second I use the computer at the console. Tried making another user account and running it there and this had no success.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, voodoo rituals that could help me sort this out? Trying to get psmove stuff working for a vr setup. Got the cameras and controllers working, this is the last step before getting riftcat to work (this has its own issues as 2.0 wont install on this machine either, but 1.3 and 1.5 work fine).
dixitarjun
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Freepie crashes - need help - cant figure out whats goin

Post by dixitarjun »

FreePIE stopped working all of sudden after recent windows system updates. Fortunately I've managed to save the error logs where am I supposed to send them?
wizzle111
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Freepie crashes - need help - cant figure out whats goin

Post by wizzle111 »

No idea. you could paste them and see if someone could help.

my solution was to reinstall windows because something got messed up in the registry, or an update went sideways, or any number of things. i was tired of reinstalling .net and searching fruitlessly.

Once i did a new install of windows, everything works fine.

Return to “FreePIE”