This Is Why Apple Needs to Embrace VR

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

This Is Why Apple Needs to Embrace VR

Post by metalqueen »

If low-cost VR headsets help drive sales of rival smartphones, I can't see Apple hanging back too long.

By Tim Bajarin

One of the more obvious MWC trends was virtual reality. Samsung made a strong push for its Gear VR headset and LG got into the game with its own 360-degree headset.

My sources believe Samsung now has an edge over Apple and most of the competition because its $99 headset is more powerful than Google Cardboard. Plus, the tie-in with Galaxy devices will help it sell more smartphones, a tactic LG seems to be trying, too.

Early research suggests interest in VR headsets tied to smartphones is very high. Although they're nowhere near as powerful as Sony's PlayStation VR or Facebook's Oculus Rift, they do deliver what I would call a semi-immersive VR experience; training wheels for VR, in a sense. If Samsung and LG can use VR headsets to drive more interest and sales of their smartphones, one has to wonder if Apple should follow suit?

Read more

Read full article...
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.

Return to “MTBS Newswire”