Side By Side works fine but Occulus crashes d3d9.dll

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
aaronv2
One Eyed Hopeful

Side By Side works fine but Occulus crashes d3d9.dll

Post by aaronv2 »

So I have been having a real bad week so far. Having found out when I got my oculus I could play games with Perception I downloaded it and immediately fired up Fallout New Vegas with the oculus settings. They worked like a charm and everything was working just fine! Then I am not sure what happened but something somewhere caused perception to crash the game after a few uses of it working perfect.

The error was ALWAYS the d3d9.dll

Being frustrated I formatted my computer reinstalled everything fresh and tried again and got the same dll error. So I downloaded windows 8 and tried that and got the same thing. I went back to windows 7 and tried different versions of direct x and any redistributable I thought might be the cause. Nothing would fix the problem... So I went and bought a new graphics card (it was time for an upgrade anyway) A fresh instal and fresh drivers and a card that supported Direct X 11 I thought we would get it working.

It made somewhat of a difference. Instead of crashing to an appcrash dialog showing d3d9 was at fault. The game would just boot up and then flash a black screen and close with no warning or dialog box or anything. So I went to work updating redistributables and what not I would inject dlls into the game folder even tho fallout apparently didn't need it but it was worth a try. I tried the 2.1.0 version since people said it works best but also tried every other version i could get my hands on and I am now back to the d3d9.dll being the error.

I hope all this information helps and there is one last piece of really useful info. When I chose the Side by Side mode the game boots fine and the green perception menus are there everything is working just dandy!

I have uninstalled the oculus runtime and drivers. Reinstalled those. I have literally tried everything I can think of and an exhaustive google search and search on this forum I didn't find much help.

I just hope there is somewhere out there who can piece all this together and understand what is going on. I am pretty much giving up on getting my oculus to work with perception. Do I settle for just SBS?

Any help is appreciated.
DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: Side By Side works fine but Occulus crashes d3d9.dll

Post by DrBeef »

You created a default oculus profile in the config utility?, the crash should have been fixed in the latest version, but must admit haven't double checked to make sure. Can't think what else might be the issue.
aaronv2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aaronv2 »

Dr Beef. You are an angel. It was the simplest thing. Making a profile in the oculus config.
Who would have thought having tried everything I did it was something like that.

I spent days googling and tinkering and reinstalling and was googling like CRAZY and could not even find a hint that the profile in the config might have been the culprit. I really hope others find this because it would have saved me a LOT of time.

Thank you so much! I'm off to blast some Rad Scorpions!
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

That's great news, though clearly my fix didn't fix it at all.

Thanks for replying to say it worked, now means I can have another look and fix it properly for the next release.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”